Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #1

Mounting generator on bumper

I want to mount my 4500 generator on bumper weight 350 lbs is that possible and safe?
Georgia USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia USA View Post
I want to mount my 4500 generator on bumper weight 350 lbs is that possible and safe?
At first I would say "not safe" however that really depends on the bumper and how it's mounted.

The GennyGo mounting platform that's designed to attach to 4" bumpers is advertised as able to handle "200 Foot/Lbs" of weight. Platform is 24" square so it appears that it is only designed to handle a 200# weight at it's center. On paper, 350# is pushing it. If the generator has four contact points that means that you'll have 175# inboard, just over the bumper, and 175# at the outer end which is 2 feet from the bumper. That kind of works out in my mind as the full 350 foot pounds of torque on the bumper which is 75% more than the recommended weight.

Also, I certainly wouldn't recommend installing a GennyGo platform without also installing the Safety Struts to add extra support at the frame ends and take strain off welds to the thin metal.

If you were to have a metal fabrication shop add some frame extensions to support your generator support platform then maybe it would be OK. Of course "OK" would depend on your trailer and it's ability to handle 350# way out at the rear end.

I don't care for "knee jerk" responses to generators on the rear bumper because it all depends on the actual vehicle, frame strength, load carrying ability, distribution of other load, and also tow venicle's ability to control the trailer at highway speed.

There's no hard and fast answer to your question except the single word "Depends".

All that said, I have a 110 lb generator on the rear bumper of my 25BDS MicroLite. Don't even realize it's there. Using a GennyTo platform and the Safety Struts. Might carry more but don't have enough generator to test it.

Good Luck.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
possible? probably if you do some homework and purchase a solution... 350# is a lot of weight for a stock bumper

search on this forum and google for previous solutions...

this might lead to one solution...

https://mount-n-lock.com/gennygo-gen...der=ASC/XTelZ/

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Currently I am towing my generator in a double tow situation using a 4 x 8 homemade utility trailer (legal in Georgia)
Union Point GA 30669
Old 08-02-2020, 05:52 PM   #5

just looked up a 9000 watt HFreight genny ( not inverter type) and it ships at 200#... what do you use that weighs 350#, if you don't mind me asking...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #6

No that's perfectly ok - thats what I was told when I bought it. It is a Champion 3800-Watt ( not 4500 as stated ) Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator with Electric Start.
Union Point GA 30669
Old 08-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #7

from the Champion website... 119#... makes a big difference in what you can do on that bumper...https://www.championpowerequipment.c...uel-generator/

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #8

sorry don't understand?
Union Point GA 30669
Old 08-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #9

Sounds like it is noisy.
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...uel-generator/
Old 08-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #10

It is but beds on opposite end and its only used when overnights at Walmart etc not at campsites and we don't boomdock (full service only sites)
Union Point GA 30669
Old 08-02-2020, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
sorry don't understand?
That is a fine quiet generator that many on here use regularly... I don't have one though but would like one.

EDIT:
oops, I thought that was the inverter Champion that so many have... this is a not an inverter type... shown below is what I thought you and others have

I looked it up on the Champion website and it says that it weighs 119#.

You asked about putting 350# on your bumper which is allot!

119# is much closer to what is doable. The Gogenny website I linked to earlier in post 3 would be the the best solution coupled with the original Mount n Lock bumper stabilizers.

Is this answer clear to you?

If not keep asking
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
It is but beds on opposite end and its only used when overnights at Walmart etc not at campsites and we don't boomdock (full service only sites)
Might even be too loud for a Walmart parking lot if it's in a city. Most cities, and certainly our state, have quiet times of 10PM.

Like I said, it may be too loud , especially if you need A/C through the night.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #13

I saw that weight of 119 pounds - the owner I bough it from said 350 pounds -- hmmm wonder if he ever knew actual weight. Your solution falls well within the lines for a 119 pound unit plus 2 small propane bottles.

We got stuck overnight on way to FL and had to overnight at a Walmart but forgot without 110v AC won't work it was a hot and sticky night ... agggg so I bought it from Craigslist here in Atlanta. Works great but as I said I am double towing it behind the RV on a custom made 4 x 8 utility trailer and would like it mounted to rear of RV Travel Trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0979.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	507.2 KB
ID:	235469  
Union Point GA 30669
Old 08-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
I saw that weight of 119 pounds - the owner I bough it from said 350 pounds -- hmmm wonder if he ever knew actual weight.
Maybe to him it felt like 350# when he tried to lift it.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #15

Maybe now with 119 pounds I see many options beside the utility trailer
Union Point GA 30669
Old 08-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #16

We had a friend that hauled a generator on a bumper rack. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ARKSEN-60...AaAv1SEALw_wcB
He'd decided that the weight needed a bit more reinforcement, so he had a welder put some supports under it that tied into the frame of the trailer.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #17
NOBO 19.6 owner

Most factory 4 inch x 4 inch bumpers can barely hold the spare tire let alone mounting additional weight to the factory setup, plus I don't think you mentioned the year of your vehicle but if its under warranty or extended warranty you will probably void your frame warranty by mounting anything else to it. I have the same generator and throw it in the bed of my truck. I am actually going to return it and get the westinghouse igen dual fuel 4500 as soon as they become available again. I only run propane and Champion sent me the jet kit free of charge for high altitude operation (7000-9000+ feet) where i used it in AZ. The high elevation causes to much loss of power and using propane I just need more power.
Jbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbed View Post
Most factory 4 inch x 4 inch bumpers can barely hold the spare tire let alone mounting additional weight to the factory setup, plus I don't think you mentioned the year of your vehicle but if its under warranty or extended warranty you will probably void your frame warranty by mounting anything else to it. I have the same generator and throw it in the bed of my truck. I am actually going to return it and get the westinghouse igen dual fuel 4500 as soon as they become available again. I only run propane and Champion sent me the jet kit free of charge for high altitude operation (7000-9000+ feet) where i used it in AZ. The high elevation causes to much loss of power and using propane I just need more power.

Which is why the Safe T Struts are so nice. They support the bumper from the bottom which stops most of the twist bumper mounted items create. The GennyGo platform is designed to clamp around the bumper and keep it from "racking".

Frankly if one has a bumper with a spare tire on it it might be a good idea to add the Safe T Struts just to make sure that bouncing load doesn't damage the bumper. I have to say though, I've read most of the stories about torn off bumpers etc, but never one where the Safe T Struts were installed.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #19

You should check out the Stromberg Carlson A frame carrier that fits over the propane tanks on your tongue. Better to have the weight on your tongue than rear bumper but not sure how it works when you have to fill the tanks. I looked into it but I have a large window above the tanks and it would block the lower half. You have no window so it will work better.
Dusty Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We had a friend that hauled a generator on a bumper rack. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ARKSEN-60...AaAv1SEALw_wcB

He'd decided that the weight needed a bit more reinforcement, so he had a welder put some supports under it that tied into the frame of the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1733.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	239754
Added a cargo basket to my 4 inch bumper and put my 88 lb generator on it - all good till the trailer bounced over an unseen drop where the asphalt abruptly ended
It ended up hanging much lower when my bumper tweaked; sad and silly me

No biggie though... I put a jack stand under the cargo basket and raised the tongue jack till everything was square again

Nothing heavy in the basket from now on
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote