Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #1

Mud flaps on 32ft Travel Trailer

Could not find any info doing a search so hopefully someone can help me out. I just moved to Maryland and am getting ready to have my trailer inspected (32 ft salem cruise lite 263bhxl) and evidently in Maryland you require mud flaps. Has anyone added mudflats to their trailer and what easy install options are there?
freebirds77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
Always Learning

Interesting. I bought a pop-up (had it inspected and all) and registered it in Maryland in 2011 and then bought a new fifth wheel in 2012. Neither had mudflaps and noone ever mentioned the need for it.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
Always Learning

I'd be asking for specific regulations on this. The only thing that I can find (in a super short search) is in regards to commercial trailers. I haven't been able to find anything for non-commercial trailers.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #4

Maryland regs

Here is what I found and it does not differentiate between commercial or personal:

Trailer
(form #23-21B)
• Hitches
• Suspension
• Brake system
• Emergency brakes
• Wheels / tires
• Rear metal frame
• Rear wheel flaps
• Lights
• Electrical system
• Fenders
Old 01-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #5

I wouldn't even mention it. I'll bet they won't even ask.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #6

Unfortunately they are the ones who specifically said to ensure in had them installed. I guess it is a high fail item.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #7

Sounds like BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirds77 View Post
Unfortunately they are the ones who specifically said to ensure in had them installed. I guess it is a high fail item.

It MIGHT be true, but I kind of doubt it. In Rhode Island (the crookedest little state in the union) some idiot decided that license plate frames are no longer allowed IF they obstruct ANY part of ANY lettering on the plate. Your car, truck, etc would not pass the state inspection if you had license plate frames that covered any little bit of lettering. The state DOT even requires the inspection station to send in pics of certain parts of the vehicle. I have heard that they eased up on that since Covid started, but it hasn't been confirmed.

I think if I were in your position I might look for another inspection station.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirds77 View Post
Here is what I found and it does not differentiate between commercial or personal:

Trailer
(form #23-21B)
• Hitches
• Suspension
• Brake system
• Emergency brakes
• Wheels / tires
• Rear metal frame
• Rear wheel flaps
• Lights
• Electrical system
• Fenders
Interesting. I don't know what to tell you. But I do wonder if it would be cheaper to find a different inspection station than to fit mudflaps to the trailer. I can't ever recall seeing one with them when I lived in MD.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #9

Putting on mud flaps was one of the first things I did to my 29' TT. I sure noticed a difference right away on how much cleaner the TT was with them.

Bought the large square flaps at a Fleet Farm store here. Get some flat 1" aluminum bar strips. Put on strip across the top of the flap and use then some more of the strips to fasten flap to the trailer wherever you can. I put mine on and they were perfect and no trouble for 15 years I had the trailer.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #10

When I bought my car trailer, one of the first things I did was to add mud flaps and I also put one across the back of my Class C attached to the underside of the bumper.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #11

I've never seen a travel trailer with them in the USA. Have seen any in Maryland before? Call an RV dealer there and ask. I'd suspect if its required they'd have to sell them with flaps. I wouldnt ask the inspector unless they bring it up.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
CGK
Camping with Labs

I've lived in MD most of my life, and have had 2 pop-ups, 4 TTs, and 1 utility trailer over the years. I bought the pop-ups used, but all the others were new - and none came with mud flaps. It does seem as though new TTs and utility trailers would have to come with flaps if they were required, and I've never been stopped for lack of those flaps. My experience is certainly not conclusive, but I tend to agree with those who recommend a different inspection station. If you hear the same thing from them, please let us all know. Thanks!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
Putting on mud flaps was one of the first things I did to my 29' TT. I sure noticed a difference right away on how much cleaner the TT was with them.

Bought the large square flaps at a Fleet Farm store here. Get some flat 1" aluminum bar strips. Put on strip across the top of the flap and use then some more of the strips to fasten flap to the trailer wherever you can. I put mine on and they were perfect and no trouble for 15 years I had the trailer.

This is an option I’m looking at and try to fab something. Looking online there are not that many write-ups on doing this.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
I've lived in MD most of my life, and have had 2 pop-ups, 4 TTs, and 1 utility trailer over the years. I bought the pop-ups used, but all the others were new - and none came with mud flaps. It does seem as though new TTs and utility trailers would have to come with flaps if they were required, and I've never been stopped for lack of those flaps. My experience is certainly not conclusive, but I tend to agree with those who recommend a different inspection station. If you hear the same thing from them, please let us all know. Thanks!

I have never even thought to look at trailers here as I never knew this was a “thing”. I’m going to call a dealer here and see what they say.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #15

Mudflaps

If you decide to add mudflaps I did this to our Jayco single axle.

I bought a single dump truck flap from Princess Auto for $15. Cut it in half and trimmed it to fit each wheel well. Took about 1/2 hour total to cut, trim and install. Easier to install as we had an axle flip done last year.
Attached Images

Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:22 PM   #16

Mud flaps on travel trailers

Hey guy, I don't know who is telling you that you need mud-flaps, but it "AIN'T" true. I have leaved in southern Maryland for the last 21 years and owned 2 TTs and 1 utility trailer and never had mud flaps. Al trailers were bought new and only required initial inspection when bought. Maryland doesn't require an inspection on trailers except when registering the 1st time even for out-of-state changeovers. All you need for registering is the title for TT. You need to check with another DMV office. Only commercial trailers require mud flaps. Anyway welcome to MD.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #17

Thanks to everyone for the info. I called a different inspection place and they said that travel trailers are not required to have mud flaps and that the other inspection place is confused with commercial trailers so GTG now!
Old 01-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #18
Always Learning

Good news!

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer