Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 04:46 PM   #1

Murphy bed.....

We are looking at selling our tt and buying one that has a slide out so we don't bump into each other in the kitchen area. Thinking of a Rockwood Mini lite but am unsure of the murphy bed. I have never slept on one and was wondering how comfortable they are. Thanks for your input!
stepbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
We are looking at selling our tt and buying one that has a slide out so we don't bump into each other in the kitchen area. Thinking of a Rockwood Mini lite but am unsure of the murphy bed. I have never slept on one and was wondering how comfortable they are. Thanks for your input!
Had a Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS, mattress was fine but the bed seemed high. Was hard to get out of bed without disturbing my wife. Otherwise great TT. The Murphy bed floor plan does make the layout quite open when the bed is up
Csbadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #3

Welcome from New Jersey, We have a 2511s that we really enjoy, Great couples unit, No Murphy bed !
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #4

Chris, I looked at yours but need that extra sofa to sit on while watching TV.
stepbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #5

We have a 2507S and have been out for 3 or 4 long weekends, so far.

The bed is a bit high. (More than a bit, for DW.) We both are willing to deal with that, to get the extra space and the couch with foot rests.

Our true queen mattress is very uncomfortable. We have a 3" memory foam pad on it but that's too mushy for me and slips down when the bed is uptight. We're sleeping on a new 10" Zinus at home as a test. Tonight's the first night but it's pretty comfortable. (It's been expanding and airing out in another room for a few days.) Assuming we like it, this will go in the camper and we'll get another one for the house. (Our mattress is long past due for a change.)

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:06 AM   #6

There are many small campers with a slide that do not have a Murphy bed. When we were searching for our current camper we considered several with a Murphy bed. One of the downsides for us, at least on the models we looked at, is the Murphy bed ate up quite a bit of the available storage.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #7

Stepbill

I have a Rockwood Mini-lite, 2104s, with a Murphy bed. To my surprise it’s extremely comfortable. Heated mattress the wife loves that. I think the heated mattress was standard equipment. With the bed up you have a very comfortable couch to sit on and makes the trailer look huge. The down side is when up you block that nice big front window. Next trailer we buy will be bigger so no Murphy bed.
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #8

Another Rockwood Mini Lite 2511s here. Great couples rig. Floor plan layed out so no Murphy required . Great comment made about lost under storage and daylite with a Murphy bed upright. We added 2" memory foam to our matress for more comfort. Unsure whether or not that's possible on a Murphy.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetyme View Post
Another Rockwood Mini Lite 2511s here. Great couples rig. Floor plan layed out so no Murphy required . Great comment made about lost under storage and daylite with a Murphy bed upright. We added 2" memory foam to our matress for more comfort. Unsure whether or not that's possible on a Murphy.
We added about 4" of foam to our Murphy bed. We had to pull the mattress toward the foot of the bed for clearance at the headboard while lowering it, but it works.

It wasn't enough to make the mattress comfortable for us. We just swapped it for Zinus. We slept on that at home this past week before swapping the one in the trailer. It's a big improvement, and smaller than the extra foam pads.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:14 PM   #10

We have the heated mattress (soft plywood) that came with ours and just added a topper. Why would they bother making a heated mattress if its so hard. We haven't changed it out yet cause we want to try it out in a cold environment to see if it makes a difference.
Ole_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole_blue View Post
We have the heated mattress (soft plywood) that came with ours and just added a topper. Why would they bother making a heated mattress if its so hard. We haven't changed it out yet cause we want to try it out in a cold environment to see if it makes a difference.
I suggested to a rep I correspond with that Rockwood should provide the heater as a separate pad, rather than built into the mattress, since many buyers replace the mattress. That said, it's not hard to find a heated mattress pad and do that yourself.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #12

If we get rid of the mattress ill have to take it apart and see if there is a separate pad in it that can be taken out.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #13

We have a Rockwood Ultralite 2304s with a murphy bed and love it. Like having the couch and dinette in a smaller trailer. Perfect for the wife and I. We added a 3" memory foam topper on the mattress that came with it and it comfortable.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #14

We had a 23 foot Jayfeather with a Murphy bed. We hated it. A pain to fold your bed up. When I wanted to get up and the wife didn’t it was a pain.
05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0
Wife W/3 rescue dogs & 12-16 chickens
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #15

We have a flagstaff 21ds with the murphy bed. We were in it for a solid month last season so it gave us a good bit of experience with daily dealing with the murphy bed. Yes, I suppose that it eats up some storage space, but we were on our first trip and packed a lot of stuff that we didn't really need and still had ample storage room. Because it is a murphy bed you get a lot more living space inside the trailer when it's up. To get the kind of living space in a trailer with a bed that is down all the time, I think I would need a 26 or 27 foot trailer. As far as comfort goes, my wife has a terrible back so we added a 2 inch memory foam topper and it has been great. I often found that the topper would slide down when traveling even though all the straps were in place and tight. I cured the problem by putting an old bath towel between the matress and the topper. It provides enough friction to keep the topper from spilling. There is a member who has several post on slight mods to the head of the bed to eliminate the "dead space" at the head of the bed when it is down and the open space between the back of the couch and the bed when it is up. Search the forum and you'll find them. Getting into and out of the bed is an issue until you figure out what works best for you, but you will figure it out. As to making the bed, well that's an issue all to itself. I have found that the best way for me is to be on the bed and work the sheets and covers up from side to side. I remember reading a post that said to get up, pretend you have made the bed and put the bed up. Got to confess, I've done that too. All in all, the 21ds and it's Rockwood twin are great couples trailers and we love ours.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:22 AM   #16

We just got a Wildwood FSX 178BHSHX - which has a murphy bed. We like having the couch during the day. Also, because the front of the trailer is curved, there is a space between the front wall and the mattress when folded up. We can toss our pillows and roll the blankets up there and not worry about making our bed every day.

Comfort - it is an RV bed. Didn't bother me. Only minor issues is (as others said) who ever is next to the wall gets to crawl over the other for a midnight/morning bathroom run.
Jerry-Rigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:51 AM   #17

Just like said above. Our front is curved so pillows go up in the front and the rest is closed up. No need to make the bed. Keep a small stool by the couch to use for the bed if its too high.

We used a thicker padding on the mattress and I used a knife to chamfer the front edge and its level with the bar we have under the window and doesn't get stuck when opening the bed. Also don't have a hole were pillows can get lost that way. Acts like we have a full length bed as i put my pillow on the bar to gain length.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #18

I agree with most of the comments here. We bought our Micro Lite 21DS because it had the Murphy bed. A trailer this small needs one if you like to have more than 2 adults in the trailer. We sometimes caravan with friends and it’s nice to have room for 4 for drinks and dinner.

As far as the comments on making the bed-you only need to do it when changing the sheets. Why make a bed that disappears? We also don’t find storage to be a problem. Our first trip was 5,000+ miles and 30 nights. We still had stuff that we never used stored in the trailer when we got home.
DigDug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDug View Post
I agree with most of the comments here. We bought our Micro Lite 21DS because it had the Murphy bed. A trailer this small needs one if you like to have more than 2 adults in the trailer. We sometimes caravan with friends and it’s nice to have room for 4 for drinks and dinner.

As far as the comments on making the bed-you only need to do it when changing the sheets. Why make a bed that disappears? We also don’t find storage to be a problem. Our first trip was 5,000+ miles and 30 nights. We still had stuff that we never used stored in the trailer when we got home.
We have the Salem Cruise Lite 232rbxl, and bought it for the same reason. It's smaller, yet extra living space with Murphy Bed, with dinette slide out. Very spacious inside when bed is in upright position. Bed is up in a matter of seconds and out of the way. We don't make the bed either, just straighten up the bedding and pillows, and up it goes.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed