Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

New 380 bh5, need suggestions

Hi guys, new to forum, but have searched numerous times since we started looking for a different 5er last August. We finally settled on the Sierra 380bh5 and coming from 2003 Rvision 33' bhs. We will be picking it up a week from Monday and they are installing a 2nd ac unit. I'm wondering what other accessories are nice to have for a unit like this. I already have ordered a wireless back up camera, but what other useful acc. could you guys not live with out?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Sierra 380bh5. You might want to consider adding roof vent covers. Although not cheap adding JT Strongarms will help take the bounce out when parked. Don't know if you had a surge protector for your 2003 R-vision but I would strongly suggest looking at Progressive Industries for one. Screening off the vents on furnace and hot water heater will help keep mud daubers/wasps/spiders from building nests. While you're at it hot glue a small piece of screening over the holes in the bumper plugs too. Water pressure regulator too.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #3

Thank you, the vent covers i completely forgot about and never even thought of a surge protector or screening things off.
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

A battery cut off switch if not already there. This is something you can easily add along with outside led lighting.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:41 PM   #5

We were going to buy the BH5 but went with the 356QBQ, so this may or may not apply to you.. . We love out trailer, but I'd at least upgrade the battery capacity, since its a pretty big trailer for such a small battery. We went with a full solar system, wasn't that expensive and we can do without power forever. Never had an issue of not having enough voltage, unless we are wanting to run the A/C. We also do the sine wave inverter, so we can still use all the appliances, etc.

Test your water heater, make sure it works on both gas and electric, also test your refrigerator for the same things. Both of those was not working when we got ours, and we didn't realize it till we camped the first time. Also the wheel well covers are attached with terrible screws, and there is no support int he middle, so the flop around. Screws worked themselves out on the first drive.

Be careful of your brakes as well, ours were apparently locked when they towed it to the dealer, so they were completely gone. Then when we had them opened up we found out the bearings were open as well. Apparently its a known problem. Couldn't get Camping World to warranty it even though we just bought it from them that week, without a month or two delay, so we just had someone else replace them.

We couldn't even get the same brand, since they were "MOVING" as well, and we couldn't get forrest river to answer the phone, so we dropped $2k on that repair the first week we bought the thing.

Also the shower shut off keeps the water running the entire time, its a good idea to replace that with a better shut off. There is also much better shower heads as well, which we replaced on ours.

Also do not run more then one pop out at a time. If you ever blow a fuse for them they are inside the wall in the cargo bay. Stupid place to put them.

I am sure I am missing a few things
proggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #6

Oh a HUGE thing to upgrade, is replace all the bulbs with LED, the ones in the trailer produce a ton of heat and use a ton of power. Plus you will never need to replace a light bulb again. Got ours on eBay from china super cheap. They are much brighter then the built in bulbs as well.
proggod is offline   Reply With Quote