Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

New 5er do we go Electric Auto Leveling or Hydraulic?

Looking at a few campers and some have either LCI 4 or 6 point Auto Leveling 3.0 or Hydraulic Auto Leveling 6 Point?

I have talked to so many ppl and I have the 4 point old 2.0 on my Crusader now and it is very slow, I hope 3.0 Electric or the Hydraulic is much better.

Looking for some feedback as we are looking at a few MFG’s and just wondering who likes and prefers what and why?

I have seen the Montana with 6 point Hydraulic and it is much faster and seems to be very responsive?
Old 11-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

I went with the electric levelling system for three main reasons

1. I am not reliant on Hydraulic fluid and potential leaks all over my unit.

2. If it fails, I can retract them easier

3. I can replace individual jacks easier as required

Plus...I’m just not in that much of a rush when camping that levelling time has ever been an issue. Others will agree and disagree...you’re going to get a ton of conflicting advice
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #3

Hydraulic. Faster, smoother, one motor to worry about. But I worked around hydraulics for nearly 30 years, and found them very reliable.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #4

They all work. Electric system you've got (I think) multiple motors so multiple points of failure. Electric is really slow, which could be good for small manual adjustment. Electric system costs a over $1000 less to install, so that's why many manufacturers are going that direction.

I would own either - ie, I don't think I'd let it be a deciding factor.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #5

Love our 6point hydraulic. It is 6 years old and very reliable. Replaced one rear jack under warranty for a slight leak. Easy job as hydraulic system is self bleeding. Slides are hydraulic also.

Friends with the 4 point electric system on their new rig wished they had waited and gone hydraulic.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #6

I figured I would see all sorts of comments but the 4 point Electric I have is slow not a main point for me looking at Hydraulic but they seem to do a better job and each leg on my Electric has a motor and they are expensive but Hydraulic for me just seems to be easier and quicker also more stable.

There is no Auto Leveling that makes an RV perfect and stays perfect I’ve a week of camping, they all need adjustments after a few days but I am also looking at the drop frames and most have the Hydraulic rather then Electric
Old 11-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
There is no Auto Leveling that makes an RV perfect and stays perfect I’ve a week of camping, they all need adjustments after a few days
We boondock a lot and have only had to re-autolevel once after a huge rainstorm. Otherwise, we never have had to re-adjust level even over a month.

Are you experiencing leak down?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #8

I got 6 point hydraulic and never looked back
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
Always Learning

Anything NOT made by Lippert.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #10

New 5er do we go Electric Auto Leveling or Hydraulic?

While I️ have the electric system, I really don’t think you can go wrong with either. There are pros and cons to both however, reading your last post (#6) it sounded like you answered your own question....speed added to cost multiplied by more failure points seems to equal hydraulic for you. Again, I think you will do fine with either but It sounds like hydraulic will make you warm and tingly inside [emoji41]
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #11

I would add it depends on the size of the rig. Electric system is fine for small to mid sized rigs but not strong enough for larger, heavier fifth wheels and toy haulers.
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #12

If looking for speed, do not go electric. I had the 4 point electric and not the 6 point. Never had a failure. Failures are rare but seeing/smelling the inside of one coach after a line leaked ~~ I'll pass every time and stick with electric.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #13
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Mine new one is a 2017 41 footer 17k GVWR 6 point leveling 5r. We have the electric with no leaks or spills, no need to add oil or handle oil, can be operated individually with a 3/8" ratchet, and no need to worry about thickening oil with low outside temps.

Additionally, in regards with the speed of operation. 1) I'm a NASCAR fan but, I don't need a pit crew to change my tires under 12 seconds, so I don't understand the speed in which either operate. 2) I'm not sure for everyone but, isn't a 6 point leveling system automatic? My operation is to push a button to raise the front so I can disconnect (mine will remember the hitch height level to reconnect). Then I push the "Auto Level" button and watch. Just say'n could have popcorn and a beer.

SWISH - BAMB - BOOM.....
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #14

I have the 6 point electric Lippert on our 5er toy hauler and don't recommend it. Less than a year old and they are replacing a middle jack because it won't move up or down even manually. So I have to level with the front and rears by pushing the buttons. The most annoying thing since I have had it, is when I'm lifting it the display will lose power and I have to wait a minute and then power it on again and try again.
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #15
FL/WI-RVers

As you can see by the posts, there are good & bad points along with good & bad opinions, about both systems. I have the LCI 6-point hydraulic and after years of working in maintenance at a large printing facility, I have found that hydraulics are faster, more reliable, and more cost effective in the long run. Every system takes a little time to understand, as did LCI, but one thing I found out is that taking the time and driving up on leveling boards first, then the system doesn't need overwork to level itself. Good luck on your choice and many happy travels ahead.
FLRVWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRVWI View Post
As you can see by the posts, there are good & bad points along with good & bad opinions, about both systems. I have the LCI 6-point hydraulic and after years of working in maintenance at a large printing facility, I have found that hydraulics are faster, more reliable, and more cost effective in the long run. Every system takes a little time to understand, as did LCI, but one thing I found out is that taking the time and driving up on leveling boards first, then the system doesn't need overwork to level itself. Good luck on your choice and many happy travels ahead.
I have 2x8s to keep the pads clean and dry. No need for leveling boards-- just hit the button.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 PM   #17

we have a 6 point electric Lippert and love it. we stayed away from the Hydraulic because of leaks and when they go ba they go bad. with ours, if it goes bad we can still level by hand so we don't get stuck. we love that we can raise it to get off the truck then level and while it levels we hook up water and sewer and it's not and we are done and ready to camp. everyone has their preference but we love our system
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #18

I have the same electric on my Crusader. I push the button and go off to hook up other stuff. Water hoses, electric etc. Best thing ever for me. My old Montana took forever just to level. Then you'd put the slides out and it would be off. Love the auto level on my Crusader. Same argument as with electric versus hydraulic slides. My old Montana had hydraulic. Loved them, but they leaked a little. Just enough to be annoying. So far no problems with the electrics on my Crusader, (knock on wood). Like that I can do them one at a time instead of all at once. Sounds like you've convinced yourself on the hydraulics, so that would be the way to go for you. Please let us know what you get, and how you like them for our own future reference since you can compare them to what you had.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #19

Either one as long as it is a 6 point. The jumping when somone walks is a lot less
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #20

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Anything NOT made by Lippert.
Why not Lippert?
xomkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, electric, hydraulic, leveling