Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
New Rockwood 8285ws

Finally made it back to Jacksonville, Fl from RV Wholesalers in Lake View, Ohio. Arrived there on the 27 th at 9:AM for the walk thru. There was already about 4" of snow on the ground and 26 degrees. Good people at RVW had our new 5ver in a heated building waiting on us. What a great business to do business with. Had to make some minor adjustments to our
"SuperGlide" hitch by adding a "LIFT" kit to the hitch. The bed of the truck
sides were too high for the standard hitch set-up. I tell you the people at RVW are a "GET-ER-DONE" team. Because the lift kit had to be picked up at another place in Indiana and brought to RVW, we did not get away until
late in the afternoon around 5:30 PM. RVW made arraignment for us to stay for the first night pretty close by on the LAKE. It was 22 DEG that night with another 3" of snow. The furnace in the new "ROCKY" got a break-in that night. It works great!!!!! Took three days for the trip back to "SUNSHINE" state. About 300 miles a day is plenty.

I have to brag on the quality of craftsmanship of FOREST RIVER that builds the ROCKWOOD. When you look at all the trim cuts, cabinet quality, it is pretty darn good. Somebody at ROCKWOOD in "QA" is doing their job!!!
Did I save $$$$ by driving 927 miles one way, two nights in a "HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS" (eating all the bacon at breakfast), yes I did save about
$12,000.00 com-paired to my local dealer. I too advantage of the $1000.00
discount and the 2nd year of warranty by ordering in Nov 2010.

There are some changes that have been made to the Rockwood 8285WS for improvements since I started looking last FEB 2010. The ZX-700 really does work on SURROUND SOUND for the 32" TV.
New color for counter tops. And yes a great mattress!!

Now, I hope I can load the few pictures I made of the experience.

Sid & Nancy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW 5th wheel 006.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	4376   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW 5th wheel 010.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	4377   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW 5th wheel 011.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	4378   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW 5th wheel 012.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	4379   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW 5th wheel 013.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	4380  

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #2

Very nice looking 5'er and it's great to hear everything worked out for you.

Thanks for the sharing the pics.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

I'm glad that was a typo in the title of your post, I was afraid you had a lot of problems with your rig.

You've got a great looking fifth wheel and I love the color of the cabinetry. I hope all of your future trips are trouble free.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

I love it. Just curious. How is it towing with the F-150. I have an F-150 also and would love a 5er but have always been nervous about towing one with a 1/2 ton.
TravisGSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisGSF View Post
I love it. Just curious. How is it towing with the F-150. I have an F-150 also and would love a 5er but have always been nervous about towing one with a 1/2 ton.

i was wondering the same thing, how did it do in the hills on the trip south ?
i will be towing with a 1/2 ton dodge and i have a Rockwood 8281ss
mine does good but have not towed on hills yet

dan

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

Nice to hear good thing about the company who builds our "Very Expensive Toys". Last year before we bought our Daydreamer we were sitting at a campfire with a bunch of other fiver' owners and Forest River got all the praise,word of mouth is what sold us. Good luck with the new rig and all the best!!
MPI_Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #7

So, I see you pulled your 8285WS with a F150. How did it do on the trip and how is it doing now?
PatrickCrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Pulling with F-150

No problem, I have the "SCREW" cab (supercrew) with the 5'6" bed. Used the SuperGlide Hitch #3100. have plenty of cab clearance with the "auto slider hitch. I did have to use the lift kit for the hitch to get the right bed rail clearance. Used the Firestone Air spring kit, had to shorten the air spring frame mounting plate on the rear of the plate about 1 1/4" to clear the hitch frame kit's rear bolt. I am not a full-timer and carry very little
water fresh, gray or black. Just enough fresh to flush the "JOHN". Mileage and pulling is actually better with the 8285WS than A 26' Dutchmen I had.
Mileage is nothing to crow about anywhere from 8 -- 12 mpg. Mostly around 9.5 to 10 if I stay around 55-62 mph. Hey 70 mph with a land whale behind you is dangerous and downright stupid to be doing. I'll get to my "MAKER" soon enough, no use speeding things up!!!!!!!! 300-350 a day travel is enough to see the scenery and smell the roses and not arrive at your next nights stop dead tired.

Am now in Charlotte, NC visiting my son and grandsons. Nice new "digs"
or TOY as some like to say. Loving the "ROCKWOOD", it is a perfect size
with more than a RV'er could ask for for the $$.

Just finished changing all the storage compartment locks from the CH751
"ONE KEY FITS EVERYBODYS" to a more secure round key lock.

Until later
Having Fun!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #9

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Nice rig !! Glad to here another smart RVer that takes safety first over speed! If we could only get it into everyones head.......70mph is to fast caring a whale as you say ! Have fun and hope to see ya down the road !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #10

Getting ours next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
No problem, I have the "SCREW" cab (supercrew) with the 5'6" bed. Used the SuperGlide Hitch #3100. have plenty of cab clearance with the "auto slider hitch. I did have to use the lift kit for the hitch to get the right bed rail clearance. Used the Firestone Air spring kit, had to shorten the air spring frame mounting plate on the rear of the plate about 1 1/4" to clear the hitch frame kit's rear bolt. I am not a full-timer and carry very little
water fresh, gray or black. Just enough fresh to flush the "JOHN". Mileage and pulling is actually better with the 8285WS than A 26' Dutchmen I had.
Mileage is nothing to crow about anywhere from 8 -- 12 mpg. Mostly around 9.5 to 10 if I stay around 55-62 mph. Hey 70 mph with a land whale behind you is dangerous and downright stupid to be doing. I'll get to my "MAKER" soon enough, no use speeding things up!!!!!!!! 300-350 a day travel is enough to see the scenery and smell the roses and not arrive at your next nights stop dead tired.

Am now in Charlotte, NC visiting my son and grandsons. Nice new "digs"
or TOY as some like to say. Loving the "ROCKWOOD", it is a perfect size
with more than a RV'er could ask for for the $$.

Just finished changing all the storage compartment locks from the CH751
"ONE KEY FITS EVERYBODYS" to a more secure round key lock.

Until later
Having Fun!
Thanks, we are picking ours up next week.
PatrickCrotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel