Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #1

Advice Please

Hi. I am looking for a trailer that I can live in most of the year in Southern Oregon and I have fallen in love with the floor plan of the 264L because I can put a desk in it and all of the furniture seems really comfortable. I am a tent camper and am very low maintenance so I'm not actually planning on using the trailer for camping. I do not have any experience with RVs or trailers or anything of the sort. The ranch where I board my horse has a pad with hook ups and I want to sell my house, get out of debt and have a nice place to live. But I know this isn't an all season trailer, so I'm wondering how practical it is. How does the AC work? It gets hot here in the summer. Would I be able to stay cool? Does the heat drain the propane really quickly? Would a space heater help? Does the fireplace actually put out any heat? I'm thinking about taking it down to Arizona in the coldest months but am curious to know if it's livable in the winter. I really appreciate any advice you've got.
Lorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #2

a lot of questions. Yes the fire place puts out heat, yes a space heater helps. Campers are not truly 4 season rated for "winter" camping (I'm talking below freezing temps) A proper working air conditioner should keep the unit cool even on a "hot" day. Having the proper power pedestal, water and sewer would be critical for a "full time" spot.

When spring and fall camping hear in Michigan I use space heaters and my fire place to save propane sense I'm not paying the bill.

Cold weather camping usually requires a "artic package" or "4 season package" witch means an enclosed underbelly maybe tank heaters or a heated "basement" were your water hook ups are.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

Hi Lorie,
I'm not familiar with the unit your thinking of buying, However, I believe I can help answer your questions.
First of all, the A/C units work well, the big thing to find out is the amount R-(valve) of the insulation in the roof and side walls. Compare the unit your interested in with a few others to get a baseline of what R value will service you well. You can also "Google" the subject and learn from the articles written or videos.
The electric fireplaces do put out heat and typically have a high as well as a low fan setting.
The furnaces do go through propane pretty quickly in cold weather so 2 tanks are better than one and the larger the tank the better.
A space heater will help, however, if you choose to run both a space heater and the fireplace at the same time, a 50amp service in your trailer would be much better than a 30 amp service to handle the electrical load. No all travel trailers come with the 50 amp service so simply be aware of this fact when you purchase your unit. IE- buy a 50 amp trailer if at all possible.

Your computer, including this forum will be your best friend getting info on RV's and RV'ing. Don' jump too quickly, shop around to find your best fit!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

Go to Arizona, Texas, or Florida for the winter.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Go to Arizona, Texas, or Florida for the winter.
I heard a rumor that Texas is FULL!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorie View Post
Hi. I am looking for a trailer that I can live in most of the year in Southern Oregon and I have fallen in love with the floor plan of the 264L because I can put a desk in it and all of the furniture seems really comfortable.
It would help if you posted the brand.
FR makes around a hundred different brands.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi. I am looking for a trailer that I can live in most of the year in Southern Oregon and I have fallen in love with the floor plan of the 264L because I can put a desk in it and all of the furniture seems really comfortable. I am a tent camper and am very low maintenance so I'm not actually planning on using the trailer for camping. I do not have any experience with RVs or trailers or anything of the sort. The ranch where I board my horse has a pad with hook ups and I want to sell my house, get out of debt and have a nice place to live. But I know this isn't an all season trailer, so I'm wondering how practical it is. How does the AC work? It gets hot here in the summer. Would I be able to stay cool? Does the heat drain the propane really quickly? Would a space heater help? Does the fireplace actually put out any heat? I'm thinking about taking it down to Arizona in the coldest months but am curious to know if it's livable in the winter. I really appreciate any advice you've got.
FYI I'm asking about the Forest River Cherokee 264L.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #8

Lori, please tell us make and year of the unit you are considering. Upps. It just came up on my display BUT WHAT YEAR MODEL?

Also lots of good advice so far. What are you planning on pulling it with? Oregon to Arizona is a pretty good Trek.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

If you have good internet, now would be a good time to watch youtube videos. Search; 1) your model; 2) Full timers in a RV; 3) Winter camping in an RV. Lots to watch and lots to learn...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #10

Hi Tom. It's 2018 Forest River Cherokee 264L. I'm not planning on hauling it. If I take it to Arizona I have a friend who will haul it for me as I would need to haul my horse trailer with the truck I will be buying. I will probably buy a truck that could haul it, but I mostly want to park it. Thank you for any advice.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Lorie;1739675]FYI I'm asking about the Forest River Cherokee 264L.[/QUOTE

Ok. Nice looking model. If you order new ask about the best four season or Arctic options. Then study YouTube and the forums for details on best methods for cold weather. On YouTube " Keep your day Dream" just posted install and winter use of a cold weather skirt diy system. RVGeeks also cover a lot on cold weather.

I looked at specs for the 2017 model which shows about 1300 lb cargo carrying capacity CCC. With full water that leaves you pushing max with 900 lbs of belongings. That will require a minimalist approach to full time. Stuff like larger propane tanks and batteries or at least any second battery will take away from that, and of course, pushing maximums may stress things to their limits.

And there comes one of our MOTTOS. NEVER TRUST A SALES MAN TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH--- ESPECIALLY ABOUT LIMITATIONS. Not truck nor RV sales people can be relied upon for truth and reality.

Remember these thing work for full timing, but generally are not engineered or appointed for continuous use so you attention to maintenance and repair will be extra important.

Good luck with your adventure.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #12

Oh thank you so much. I am definitely figuring that out about the sales folks which is why I'm reaching out. I apologize for my ignorance, but when you are talking about 1300 CCC, does that mean when hauling? I am pretty minimalist by nature.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi Tom. It's 2018 Forest River Cherokee 264L. I'm not planning on hauling it. If I take it to Arizona I have a friend who will haul it for me as I would need to haul my horse trailer with the truck I will be buying. I will probably buy a truck that could haul it, but I mostly want to park it. Thank you for any advice.
If you pull horses you may already appreciate the limits of tow vehicles, but probably a good rule is when a sales person starts to tell you how you only need a HALF TON PICKUP, probably get a new salesman. Half tons can do a lot more than will feel adequate in the long term and maybe a half tons that is you commuter car all week and only tows weekends is a necessary economy, but as a primary tow vehicle I am skeptical. Some days my I wish our F250 was an F350 though we don't really NEED that much. It would be a comforting bummer of capacity.

One more thing. I see horse trailers often, WITHOUT a weight distributing hitch but don't do that with a 30 tt--Ever
Old 02-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Oh thank you so much. I am definitely figuring that out about the sales folks which is why I'm reaching out. I apologize for my ignorance, but when you are talking about 1300 CCC, does that mean when hauling? I am pretty minimalist by nature.

For sure when hauling, but even sitting still your stabilizer jack do not take much weight off the tires and suspension so good idea not to put bunches more on it while sitting either.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
Site Team

Lorie, the Cherokee is an entry level trailer line. Most stick and tin trailers are not insulated enough for real cold weather.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #16

Do more home work. Research Artic qualified/certified and why. The more insulation the less propane or the less AC electricity used - simple facts. Below 40F you better research where propane is cheep or be in a park with no charge for electricity and use electric heaters. Induction and microwave cooking far better in cold climates. Better to look at all brands and order what YOU want than just buy off the dealer lot - better yet get prices from at least 5 dealers.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I heard a rumor that Texas is FULL!
YES IT IS!!! Stay away!!!!

Old 02-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #18

Don't worry. I'm a Texan by birth and an Oregonian by choice. I need my mountains!
Old 02-24-2018, 05:37 PM   #19

I'm in the process of trading my Cardinal 5th wheel for an Arctic Fox made by Northwood Northwood | Northwood Manufacturing, which is a company based in Oregon. The previous comments are all valid, but be aware the best trailers are drafty and chilly in the winter. Most have single-pane windows which transmit cold into the trailer. Arctic Fox 5ers are available with thermopane type glass and heater packages for the tanks and basements. The units are also said to be better insulated than most. You also need to think of your water supply in the winter. Is the pad equipped with a hydrant or some sort of insulated supply pipe? If not, you'll have a problem in sub-freezing weather. There are solutions for this such as heated hoses and heat tape. I have a cousin in northern California living full-time in a fifth wheel on a horse farm, and she's quite happy, but she doesn't get too much freezing temp there. As suggested above, the internet is your friend in researching best ideas. Good luck.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #20
Canadian Member

If you're going to leave the trailer in Oregon for the winter you might want to look at the Arctic Fox line by Northwoods Manufacturing. They have a good reputation for quality and for a true 4 seasons, well insulated trailer. Forest River doesn't make a true 4 season trailer suitable for northeastern states and Canada. I did a quick Google search for average monthly temps in Oregon and it looks like you do get down to freezing temps occasionally, but a Forest River brand unit might be able to work for you. They won't be as well insulated as an Arctic Fox though. The alternative would be a custom built tiny house if you don't want to move it.

If you want to take it on the road to Arizona in the winter, then you'll want a travel trailer, not a tiny house. The floorplan of the Cherokee you're looking at is a pretty common and popular floorplan. If you can afford a higher quality brand, I'd definitely do some research on that since you want to live in it full time. There are some full timers here on the forum that can provide advice on full timing and there are several good YouTube channels by full timers.

One other thing, if your horse trailer has a gooseneck, you can get an Andersen Ultimate hitch to work with the gooseneck ball in the bed of your truck and that'll allow you to consider 5th wheels, too.

Good luck!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags