Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

Newbie looking for help picking a Travel Trailer

I'm completely new to the RV game and looking to jump in. I might be looking to use mine a little differently than what is typical. I don't really want to spend a lot of time in it outside of sleeping. My plan is to take it to bicycling events and use it as sort of a base camp. A place to come back to after the ride and shower, then likely leave again and come back when its near time for bed. Like a hotel room on wheels essentially.

95% of the time, it will just be me and my girlfriend using the trailer in this fashion. Occasionally, we might have a couple of riders crash on our couch or dinette, but the majority of the time will be only us. I don't want to spend too much, nor too little on my first one, but I want to try and get one that I won't regret purchasing.

I have a 2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7 that I will be towing the trailer with. It has a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs. I'd ideally like to stay well under that, say maybe a dry weight of 5,000 lbs. for the trailer for example.

Based on that, my thought is I don't really need a big or expensive trailer to start with. I thought a 26 foot one without slides would likely handle my needs. The one I have my eye on is a 2017 Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL.

I've got what I feel a good price negotiated on it ($16,995) and financing in place. The only thing that is stopping me is that 95% of the people I ask say I should only get a trailer that has a slide out. Despite the fact that every thing I read about problems with a trailer seems to be with the slide outs.

Anyone have any good advice for my situation?
Jarrett. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Team

It is tough to say what will and will not work for you, but I think you need to be realistic about use. Even though your plan is to just use as a home base, you may be forced to spend a day or two inside in bad weather. This might be a little tight for four adults. The sleeping capacity of most units is over rated as fold out sofas and dinettes are seldom suited for adults. Also when looking, use the load capacity of your TV vs the towing capacity. You can find load capacity on the drivers door sticker. From that subtract 100 lbs (hitch), passenger weight, and any cargo in TV. The weight that remains is the max hitch weight from the TT> If you do not have a factory tow package, you should add an aux transmission cooler. Also you need to think about where you will carry bikes. Bikes take a beating on the back of a TT.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
you may be forced to spend a day or two inside in bad weather. This might be a little tight for four adults. Fold out sofas and dinettes are seldom suited for adults
I check the weather before the events, if it is bad I don't go. If I get there and takes a sudden turn for the worse, I go home. I have no plans to spend several rainy days at a location where nothing is going on.

And to be candid, I'm not willing to invest several thousand dollars in a travel trailer in the hopes of making other people, that may or may not stay there, more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Also you need to think about where you will carry bikes. Bikes take a beating on the back of a TT.
I have a bike rack in the bed of my truck and plan to haul them there. I am little concerned about where to store them over night. If I could find a model like the 241QBXL with a really small toy closet in the back, I might do that. I guess I could put them in the under bed storage at night. I wonder if I could get them out through the sides though. Not sure. I could always lock one, maybe two in the cab of the truck as well.
Jarrett. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

We started out with a 17 foot trailer 1970 vintage no slide. That ended up being too small so we went to a hybrid with the bed's that popped out, this was more roomier, but then we got pregnant with our 2 child and now we have a 35ft bunkhouse with 2 slides.

The slides make it really nice and roomy couldn't live without it.

Also you will have a higher resale value with a trailer that has a slide.

Hope that helps,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

Not knocking slides, but two of us are in an 18ft bunkhouse with no slides, and where I live, the resale for using it for hunting, fishing, boondocking, or regular camping will be as good or better without slides.

What you have linked looks really, really nice to me.

Without the slides, we can hop inside and use it while underway at a rest stop or a food stop. I like sitting at my little dinette with a battery powered fan to keep us cool and eating lunch in the TT before we get to our destination. So, do a walk around in any potential rig and imaging all the different ways you might use it.

It is very easy to set up since all we have to do is level it, hookup if using hookups, flip a switch to start the hot water heater, and lower the stabilizer jacks.

We are mostly in it to sleep, dress, and use the bathroom/shower. I have a seatless folding bike and a kick scooter that goes in the lower bunk when we are underway and I stow them there at night. Chairs, fishing equipment and other gear goes in the top bunk, which has a 250 lb capacity. We sleep in the queen bed.

We bought for us, not for any potential family members or friends, although they are welcome. Learned that lesson from my parents who bought a cabin thinking all the kids would come and use it, but no one could ever get away.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:19 PM   #6

You might check out some small toy haulers. They could fit most of the things you are looking for. As a bonus they have spaces for storing things like bikes, atv's, motorcycles etc. Here's a couple that i found that fit the weights you were thinking of. They only thing i do not know is the price range for them. Not sure if they are in the same league as the wildwood you found.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...elID=1333#Main

http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...delID=819#Main
BC Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #7

X2 on what BC Boy says. Good storage for your bikes, easy load and unload. Look for a small toy hauler, you don't need any refuel capability since you aren't carrying anything with a motor. Also keeps the bikes out of the weather when not in use. Toy haulers aren't really meant for any long vacations but great for weekend outdoor use.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #8

Although not a Forest River, we almost brought the Outback 240URS. No slide, under 5k but has a sideload toy hauler compartment that doubles as bunk beds, the bottom one being a double. Might work for you. I think the previous year models were 230RS.

www.keystonerv.com/share?brand=OUTBACK&model=240URS
Old 06-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #9

Oops, sorry, no side slide, but a rear bed slide.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #10
Site Team

My TT does not have a slide and it works for me. However, I wouldn't mind the extra space a slide would provide. The downside to not having a slide is that it's like a bus aisle where only one person can pass by. The upside to not having a slide is that it's one less thing to maintain.

Consider a walk-around bed vs a corner bed. The inside person sleeping next to the walk often ends up disliking having to climb over the other person to get out.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #11

As always, your money your choice. However, at some point you will want to sell or trade and those without a slide are more difficult to get rid of and return suffers greatly.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett. View Post
I guess I could put them in the under bed storage at night.
Your prospective unit looks to be identical to my Salem CruiseLite 241QBXL. If so, there is no storage under the queen bed - it houses the fresh water tank. The trailer can be a little tight with two people but is workable - especially since you aren't planning to stay there long.
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #13

Based on postings a lot of people don't get the right rv the first time. If that would happen to you or your situation changes, you want to use for more than the quick sleeping slides may be important. Good luck!!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #14

Just my $.02 but slides open up so much space. Our small motorhome has 3 (and no problems other than routine maintenance) and we were able to spend 8 weeks in it comfortably. Secondly you are right about extra visitors. Our fold down couch is extremely uncomfortable but our adult son has happily put up with it on several occasions when he wanted free accommodation. Good luck with your search. It can be daunting.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #15

Fellow Tundra TV and I tow a 25' TH with no slides. We find no need for a slide with 2 teenagers. I have met too many $100k + RVers in the camps looking for help to get a slide in or calling for a service company. They are nice but if you are truly camping and spending your time outside you will be fine. My unit also has a forward bath. Note the Tundra suspension is lite and most probably your water is stored up front which can move the weight between arriving and leaving. In my case, it can lower the hitch an inch or more which can be tricky with black/grey plumping up front and closer to the ground. You will need good WD hitch and possibly E rated tires. I found that my Tundra did not like bow waves from semis and they will make you pucker. Also check out Tundra and Trailers on FB for another community to bounce ideas off. Your tundra is more than capable but has limitations.
Berkdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #16

sounds to me that you really don't care about your trailer or comfort so if I were you( I am not) I would look into a used cheapy. You really don't need/want anything fairly nice.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett. View Post
I'm completely new to the RV game and looking to jump in.

I've got what I feel a good price negotiated on it ($16,995) and financing in place. The only thing that is stopping me is that 95% of the people I ask say I should only get a trailer that has a slide out. Despite the fact that every thing I read about problems with a trailer seems to be with the slide outs.

Anyone have any good advice for my situation?
We have the shorter version, with murphy bed, and lovd it. Friends have the same one you linked and are very pleased with it.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
sounds to me that you really don't care about your trailer or comfort so if I were you( I am not) I would look into a used cheapy. You really don't need/want anything fairly nice.
I didn't get that impression from the member. My impression was more like why spend money on another option that's not necessary for their use.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #19
RiderBloke

26RR no slides

We bought a new 26RR last year. We have camped in it several times and I have stayed in it solo for 4 months continuously. It has no slides. It has lots of space and with some additions and modifications to suit your needs it can become a very very good unit. There are several Grey Wolf RR units and all but the 27RR have no slides. A good used one would be an excellent investment.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #20

Don't just look at the pretty stuff as we did initially. Look for greasable pins and walking beams and make sure the hitch weight is not too much for your vehicle. Most times when you go for light, you get light and poor quality too. Look for the stabilizers and jacks on four corners. Some have only what is necessary and when you are camped the unit rocks as you move about in your unit. 25' is Ok if you do not plan on living in it for any length of time. That is what we started with until we started living in it for 3 months.
Grimshaw Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, trailer, travel, travel trailer