Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Newbie question about rubber roofing

Okay, so I feel kind of stupid asking this, but how do you know if you have a rubber roof? Is the entire roof coated in rubber or just the seals? Is the rubber roof just considered the caulking around the seams of the camper roof? I was told not to use the Camco RV Wash on a rubber roof and I plan to wash the roof tomorrow. So I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to hurt anything by using the wash. Thanks!
kicker0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927
Okay, so I feel kind of stupid asking this, but how do you know if you have a rubber roof? Is the entire roof coated in rubber or just the seals? Is the rubber roof just considered the caulking around the seams of the camper roof? I was told not to use the Camco RV Wash on a rubber roof and I plan to wash the roof tomorrow. So I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to hurt anything by using the wash. Thanks!
Look in the files section upper left hand of web page I put a right up in there for care of your rubber roof.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #3

Thanks, but I don't even know if I have a rubber roof!
kicker0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927 View Post
Thanks, but I don't even know if I have a rubber roof!

The rubber roof is actually a rubber membrane that covers the entire top of the camper. There are also fiberglass roofs, but I think those are mostly used on motorhomes.

What type of camper do you have ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #5

Depending on what you have it's either rubber or pvc. If you don't know for sure, then only wash it with a mild detergent - i.e. dish soap.

Some specialized products for rubber can damage pvc and vice-versa.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What trailer do you have? Might try to look here: Forest River : RV, Cargo Trailers, Boats, Commercial, Housing
and look up the specs on your camper. Maybe the answer is in there.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #7

You can easily tell. The rubber is just that, rubbery. Press on it and see if it gives. Most of the time the contact glue used is pretty thin and doesn't hold well, so the rubber will stretch a little. Fiberglass won't budge. Also, if the roof is chalk like, leaving a lot of chalk on your hand after rubbing your hand over the roof, it's most likely rubber. I've been doing a lot of research because my FR/TT has a rubber roof. I'm about to re-coat it with liquid EPDM (liquid rubber). From everything I've read about rubber roofs should not be cleaned. Original rubber roofs naturally chalk, pretty much being self cleaning. Cleaning them just removes more of the chalk, making the need to either replace the entire roof with new rubber or re-coat with liquid rubber take place that much sooner. If you're still unsure, you can remove one of the small vents on the roof. You'll see the roof material cut for the vent. The pieces there will obviously be rubber or fiberglass. Or, the best suggestion yet, see if you can find the specs for your trailer online.
EPDM Rubber Roof Installation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbraK...hannel&list=UL Pulled by a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, 496cid Rat motor, 12k Lb. tow package, leveling hitch, dual sway controls & electric brakes.
xf021209 is offline   Reply With Quote