RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #1

Question Outside kitchens: Sink VS Grille?

As many bunkhouse travel trailers & fifth wheels' outdoor kitchens come with a refrigerator, sink and grille built into the trailer, non bunkhouse models that do come with outside kitchens typically come with a refrigerator, sink OR grille...

So... if you had the choice when purchasing an rv and had to choose between a sink or a built in grille, which would you choose? A sink or a grille?

Grille people: are sinks not used enough to justify their existence rather than a built in grille? If you had a sink previously in your outdoor kitchen, did you not use it as much as you thought you would?

Sink people: is setting up a separate grille not a big deal? Are sinks essential?

I wash my hands frequently while cooking so I prefer a sink in an outside kitchen...

What are your thoughts?
Desertwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertwanderer View Post
As many bunkhouse travel trailers & fifth wheels' outdoor kitchens come with a refrigerator, sink and grille built into the trailer, non bunkhouse models that do come with outside kitchens typically come with a refrigerator, sink OR grille...

So... if you had the choice when purchasing an rv and had to choose between a sink or a built in grille, which would you choose? A sink or a grille?

Grille people: are sinks not used enough to justify their existence rather than a built in grille? If you had a sink previously in your outdoor kitchen, did you not use it as much as you thought you would?

Sink people: is setting up a separate grille not a big deal? Are sinks essential?

I wash my hands frequently while cooking so I prefer a sink in an outside kitchen...

What are your thoughts?
I LOVE our camper, but I am jealous of those who have an outdoor kitchen since we do not have one. Personally, I think I would prefer the sink. As it is now, we carry a small Coleman tailgater grill. It takes all of 30 seconds to a minute to set it up. I can fit it in a myriad of places when we travel. We also have a Coleman camp stove stowed away in the front storage. We haven't used it in a few years. But I haven't seen a whole lot of portable sinks out there. I would love the convenience of rinsing off a plate/utensil/hand without going inside.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
Lifetime camper

I have a large outdoor kitchen, I removed the two burner stove it came with. The stove was in a drawer, I rebuilt the drawer. I now have two drawers, large fridge and a sink. Next upgrade is to replace the sink with a little larger one. I love the outdoor kitchen. I added the margarita grill to the rear and have the black stone flat top grill as well. Would not travel with out either. This is my second camper, I had to have the outdoor kitchen, itís also my second margarita grill.
Big BillyB71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #4

Sink gets my vote.

I had an outdoor kitchen in my TT but not in my 5er. I really miss doing dishes outside and using it for a quick hand wash. Now to wash hands I will either go inside or to the outdoor shower. Just not as convenient.
Skip12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
Site Team

We have a large OK with a sink, microwave, fridge and pull out 2-burner stove.

The sink and fridge get the most use. The mirowave we use occasionally. The stove I think I've used maybe twice in the 5 years we've owned it.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #6

Probably sink

Have o/k (TT) now with large dorm fridge and sink but grill is on bumper.New 5er has smaller o/k with smaller fridge and sink . Guess Ill get a 22" Blackstone with table from WM they have a package deal .Don't like the bumper grill when its raining so grill on table can be under awning.Now I need to figure out where to put my toaster / hot air oven.I'll vote for sink .
New 2021 Brookstone 398 mbl 5er

57 years towing
busch543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #7

Sink is a must! Cuts down on hauling dirty dishes into camper. Ours also has pull out grill. My biggest problem with it is it only faces one direction. Blows flame out if wind is from the wrong direction. I did, however, take out the mounting screws so I can turn it 180
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #8

Outdoor kitchen

When we looked at the Forester, it was ho-hum about the outdoor kitchen. Really like it now with the extra refrigerator (when needed) TV, sink, cabinet and drawer and counter. I want to wash my hands as necessary when handling meat or someone's spill. I would not care to have a grill or stove. No grill as I don't want the smokey, stinky, grill emissions getting all over the area. Prefer to use the kitchen area for plates, cups, food. I have a small stand where I can best position the grill out of the wind for grilling.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertwanderer View Post

What are your thoughts?

If you prefer a sink in an outside kitchen, why are you even asking?
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #10

On our Avenger 27RBS, our ODK has everything... stove, fridge, and sink. The fridge struggles to keep below 50, so, it is what it is... a slightly cool box.

The only really useful things are the stove and sink. If I had to give up one of the three, it would be the fridge. And, If I had to give up either the sink or the stove, I would definitely give up the sink.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Champion 3500
Weber Q2000, Blackstone 22", and a whole herd of flamingoes
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #11

I have a Apex 289TBSS, so it has the typical 4 person bunkhouse with the outdoor kitchen under the bottom bunk. It has the refrigerator and 2 burner Coleman gas grill at the rear of the side wall. Literally a foot away, around the rear corner is the outdoor shower... It has never been used as a shower.

But to do a quick grill cleaning, quick utensil/dish clean up or a quick hand job, it works very well.

The out door fridge is my beer fridge, that prevents me needing to run inside 15-20 times a day for a Corona and I can cut my limes and squeeze/spray lime juice all over the outside area without making a mess inside. Plus the stupid tiny 6 CU/FT fridge/freezer inside can not afford to give room to beer!

I wish I had the actual sink, no doubt. But the outdoor shower has been extrememly handy.

As to the outdoor 2 burner coleman stove... that is my go-to and most used cooking surface. All breakfast gets cooked out there, most meals are on the fire or on the outdoor grill. We rarely use the inside 3 burner oven/range.

So I would say the sink importance depends on the proximity of the shower. If the shower is super close like mine happens to be, you can make do. If it is on the opposite side wall near your hook-ups, it is fairly useless for this and getting the sink would move up in priority really fast.

I want my next one to have the larger outdoor service area with cupboards, larger beer fridge, sink, maybe a Margarita machine and a rack for some shine and liquor.

I am a firm believer in "No working during drinking hours"! Plus, alcohol kills the Covids! I am fighting the Corona-virus and lime disease with ample amounts of Corona and lime!

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #12

Sink

I found when using an attached grill it is usually on the small side and you end up getting grease on and in the outdoor kitchen area. The sink or at least a sprayer, that is what my current unit has, is almost essential for any outdoor kitchen. Plus it's much easier to pack and use a stand alone grill as apposed to a sink.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #13

Outdoor grill vs Sink

We have a 2012 Wildcat 313 RE OK that has a propane stove that swings out of the kitchen and grill then connects on to that. I like to be able to move the BBQ (grill) according to wind and weather conditions so bought a separate gas hose to accommodate that. We seldom use the gas stove. I would now sooner have a sink as it would be more useful. I did install hot and cold water accessed from the garbage compartment right beside the outdoor kitchen, but having a sink and taps would be much better. IMO
Holmes2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #14

I have the fridge, sink, and TV in my Sunseeker. I prefer a sink over a grill for the main reason of worrying that did I clean it enough for closing up time. Attract mice? Easier to clean a portable grill.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #15

Once again, I have a sink, tv, and fridge. I prefer the sink over a grill. When closing up I would wonder if I cleaned it good enough so that it doesnít attract mice. Easier to clean a portable grill.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafdawg View Post
If you prefer a sink in an outside kitchen, why are you even asking?
Current rig doesn't have an outside kitchen, looking at units with outside kitchens. Sink makes more sense to me but I don't have any first hand experience with outside kitchens, thus my question to people with first hand experience.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:20 PM   #17
Site Team

I am going with sink. Ours had both and I removed the pull out grill/stove to add a second drawer. I prefer not to cook ( especially grill) that close to the TT. In additions most of the grills/stoves that come with the TTs are not as good as a good portable one. The sink is great for washing dishes, getting water, or just washing hands without going inside. It is easy to get a good portable stove/grill not as easy to get a portable sink with Hot & Cold running water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:20 PM   #18

We chose our current 5ver based on the availability of the outdoor kitchen. It is quite large , but only has a fridge, a sink would be very handy.. the grill would have been useless.. I have a Weber Q2200 that I mount on a swing arm attached to the rear bumper for grilling. I am reluctant to upgrade to a new 5ver based on the lack of large outdoor kitchen options
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #19

Mine has the sink with the grill on the bumper. Didnít think Iíd like the grill attached but I really like the convenience. My awning is large enough so i can swing the grill around the corner enough to be able to stand under the awning and tend the grill if itís raining. I would go with sink if I could only have one. Be sure itís one that drains to grey water tank, not just a tub.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:17 AM   #20

Glad you mentioned the tub. I've read that alot of outside kitchens that feature sinks have them drain into tubs because of plumbing issues that sinks cause when located on slides. I would prefer a sink that is plumbed into a grey tank.

Tags
grill, sink