Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
T21

Poor 110v outlets

This is my first post but I have been reading forum discussions for a couple of months since we bought a 2006 Wildwood Sport T21 toy hauler. We have not used it because the weather has been too cold here in northeast Washington. I have been getting familiar with everything and learning a lot from postings on this site.

I wanted to share one problem that I had to have the dealer fix because I couldn't solve the problem. One of the 110v outlets wasn't working and my tester showed no neutral connection. I removed the outlet and found the positive wire was loose and broke off when I moved it. I replaced the outlet with one that has screw connections because it looked as though the push type connection probably cut the wire. The new outlet still showed no neutral connection. So I checked all the neutral wire connections in the panel which were all good. I didn't know where to go from there so I took it to the dealer. They found a cut neutral wire at the refrigerator outlet.

They said that the push connection type outlets cause lots of problems and suggested that I replace all of them in the trailer at some time. How they traced the wire from the bad outlet on the right side of the trailer to the refrigerator outlet on the left side is a puzzle to me. Sorry for being so long winded on my first post but I thought it was worth sharing.
T21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #2

I highly doubt that the outlet cut the wire.

I'm guessing the guy who stripped the wire is the one who screwed it up. I've got a lot of the push-in types in my house and I've never had a problem as long as the wire was good when it was pushed in.

You can get outlets that have both screws and the push-in holes, too.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #3

I changed all my outlets with the screws in them when I added a few more outlets.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #4

Personally, I hate the push in types, but that is just me and I know that a lot of people can tell me why they are no problem. That said, I am going to buy a bunch of new outlets for the house and will probably do the RV also. Maybe if I buy enough I can get a bulk discount.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
Maybe if I buy enough I can get a bulk discount.
You can - they're called "Contractor Packs" and come in boxes of 10, 25, & I believe 100.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I highly doubt that the outlet cut the wire.

I'm guessing the guy who stripped the wire is the one who screwed it up. I've got a lot of the push-in types in my house and I've never had a problem as long as the wire was good when it was pushed in.

You can get outlets that have both screws and the push-in holes, too.
Agreed! Bad job stripping the insulation off..Most likely using wrong gauge wire stripper or hold the stripper at an angle while stripping the wire. Those push in type outlets are that tight that they would cut a wire.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
T21

I agree the stripper could have been the cause of the problem but you would think the manufacture would at least be using the correct tool for the job. The RV dealer that fixed the problem does not use push type outlets for replacements because he doesn't trust them. I have used them a number of types around the house with no problem but always with 12 gauge wire. My trailer has 14 gauge wire and the outlets look awfully cheap to me.
T21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
110v, electrical