Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
X2 We have an awning screen that zips on and would act as a tie down. If a storm is coming, it gets unzipped, put away and the awning gets rolled up.

Never yet seen a rolled up awning get damaged in a storm.

Cant say the same for those left open, tied down or not.
Correct, if the storm's going to be bad enough, you have to put the awning in anyways. The poles/tie downs just give you a little more margin in what your awning can resist.

For example, let's say a standard awning can survive 25 mph winds before it needs to be rolled up. With the tie downs, it might survive up to 40 mph winds. But above that, it'll need to come in anyways.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #22
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Personally, I won't use the awning tie downs. I've watched too many and helped several people remove torn up awnings that were "Tied Down" when a storm hit. Too much money to worry about and if a storms coming...I roll it up.
There is a difference as tie downs are just what it says and really do nothing to help awning in wind or rain. Awning hold down poles is totally different and do what they are designed to do within reason. Judgement plays a big roll in whether you loose an awning or not. First pic is of pole next is the claw use to tie off straps and hold poles down in place. Later RJD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6521.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	183404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6522.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	536.9 KB
ID:	183405  
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
as far as having an oxygenics shower head (like we do).......

For those that have one, no words are necessary.
For those that don’t, no words can do it justice.

Just sayin’
1000% ture!!

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Walter Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I added the single lever faucet as well, because it allows me to get the temp and volume set quicker and the with the goofy faucets they use in the shower that have both handles turn the same way and it is counterintuitive to the way any other faucets in the world work.
Those s "same way" valves drive me bonkers !!!

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Walter Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #25

Love our awning tie down kit/ poles for our 5ver that I got from Old Coot. Great for breezy days. If a storm is approaching or we are leaving the RV, it takes 30 seconds to drop the stras and poles and roll the awning in.

Best thing I've ever done is purchasing the new SolidSteps from Lippert. So much safer going in and out of the RV. YES, I saw all the reviews about some dirt or water getting in the RV when you close the steps in the doorway. Safety is much more important. (If you order the steps be ware that Lippert's packaging is rather flemsey. Took 3 damaged sets before I talked to the Lippert Natl sales rep and got a set shipped to me on a pallet. Hopefully Amazon and Lippert have worked on this issue.) Installation was a breeze. I also bought a cpl of auto LED lights and placed on the steps. So, when you approach, they turn on so you can see the steps well at night.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #26

Here are a few mods that I added.
Equipment to stabilize the RV while parked - I went with JT Strongarm, X-chocks and king pin tripod.
Oxygenics shower head - because a poor shower just doesn't cut it after day 3.
External water sediment filter - because sand and sediment gets in everything and clogs sink aerators and toilet spray nozzles.
Dyson V7 vacuum - because dirt, debris and sand gets everywhere and it drives me nuts.

Tom G
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #27

Well I have a park model. The only thing I have done is take out the door/wall from the toleit closet. And turn the commode 90 degrees. I like it very much.
Jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #28

Puck Lights

Our overhead puck lights were either all ON or all OFF. We went to a camper show and saw these.

I purchased push button replacement lights. Now we can independently choose which lights to turn on and off.

A very simple and inexpensive upgrade that you can do yourself.

Have Fun!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Puck Light.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	183908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Puck Light Back.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	183909  
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #29

I bought this Oxygenics shower head from camping world. You adjust the spray with a little lever on the side of the head that has 3 positions. 2 different spray patterns and the third position is off or trickle, so no off button per say but an off position non the less. Pressure is way better than the factory head using less water. Yes, I tested with a 5 gallon bucket. I don't remember the exact time to fill each but it definitely made a difference in the length of hot shower I can get.

https://www.campingworld.com/bodyspa...iABEgLp-fD_BwE
kollinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #30

I continue to use the awning guy lines with the coil spring onto the ground pegs to give some shock relief in strong gusts of wind. Yes, if there is a strong thunderstorm forecast or you are in the always gusty and strong Texas winds then it is best to just roll the awning up if you're not there though the guy lines would still likely save your awning from literally being ripped off the side of the trailer and your mechanisms all bent to heck. We have seen this happen to others many times. Oh, yeah, best to always tilt one corner of your awning at a significantly lower level to create a strong water run-off slope. We have seen awnings including our first efforts at setting where the awning turns into a big stretched bag of water in the middle in a wicked Florida downpour!
jz5w63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #31

I like the digital T-stat because it's easy to set; don't have to look close and nudge it to get it approximately where you want it. Best thing is setting it up in the morning (we set it at 50 at night). I set it up maybe an hour before we get up and that's a big nuisance with analog and very easy with digital. Don't even need to turn a light on with digital, just push the up button to activate it, then push it 15 more times to get to 65.

Using awning tie-downs is a bit risky. If they don't hold, you can still lose your awning. We don't always know the local weather characteristics so we don't take that chance, especially if we are far from civilization and can't call someone to come and take down the remains.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #32

A few of the mods I've done:

• Oxygenics shower head-- all the reports on this are 1000% true... if you do no other mod, you MUST do this one if you shower in your RV.
  • Replaced the Ventline vent fan with a Vortex II fan-- Super easy install, and no comparison with the original fan
  • I made a pair of Step Jacks/Supports for our entry step... makes the steps much more stable and solid. I think Camco also makes them.
  • Added a Flag Pole and mount-- Let Freedom reign!!!
  • Added a Battery Disconnect Switch
  • Added 12V receptacles in the bedroom
  • Added a second Propane Quick Connect
  • Converted our Weber Q grill to use the house Propane
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mods 01.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	183918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mods 02.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	183919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mods 03.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	183920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Jacks 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	543.6 KB
ID:	183921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Jacks 3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	569.5 KB
ID:	183922  

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
How did you do that? Does it still burn as hot on the low pressure system? That would be a great mod not to have to carry another propane tank for the Weber Q, but the reason we use one in the first place is because the low pressure rvq's dont get hot enough.
jacqui583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui583 View Post
How did you do that? Does it still burn as hot on the low pressure system? That would be a great mod not to have to carry another propane tank for the Weber Q, but the reason we use one in the first place is because the low pressure rvq's dont get hot enough.

Yep, it sure does, it burns just as hot!

I bought this CONVERSION KIT, it only takes about 15-20 minutes tops to do the conversion. They actually have 2 kits actually, the one that I bought has a hose with a quick connect at the end that attaches to the fitting that you see in the first pic above, the other kit, which is a few $'s cheaper, the hose attaches directly to the WeberQ with no quick connect. On both, the other end of the hose attaches to the quick connect on your camper. I think they have kits with 8' hoses and 12' hoses... I went with the 12' hose.

Since I added the 2nd quick connect to the camper, we can run the Weber and the outdoor kitchen stove at the same time. So far, we've never used the stove inside the camper, except to bake biscuits, LOL!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 AM   #35
54 Years, 13 RV's

Larry NC, OUTSTANDING dissertation on Hysterisis and Anticipators.

Seriously!!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:19 AM   #36

Quote:

I bought this CONVERSION KIT, it only takes about 15-20 minutes tops to do the conversion. They actually have 2 kits actually, the one that I bought has a hose with a quick connect at the end that attaches to the fitting that you see in the first pic above, the other kit, which is a few $'s cheaper, the hose attaches directly to the WeberQ with no quick connect. On both, the other end of the hose attaches to the quick connect on your camper. I think they have kits with 8' hoses and 12' hoses... I went with the 12' hose.

Since I added the 2nd quick connect to the camper, we can run the Weber and the outdoor kitchen stove at the same time. So far, we've never used the stove inside the camper, except to bake biscuits, LOL!
Wow - that's great news! We will have to took into that for sure. As far as adding a second quick disconnect, do you by any chance have a link on how that was done? I assume you teed off from the original feed line near the first disconnect?

We camped for years in our popup where we would normally carry an extra propane tank with a "tree" that allowed us to connect both the Weber Q and a cooking stove at the same time. We just took our new trailer out for its maiden voyage and pulled one of the two tanks off to use the tree, but I can't help but think the on board system would be so much easier to work with if we can convert our devices. If nothing else it means less things to carry and store. Thanks!
jacqui583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #37

The shower head seems to have much better pressure without using any more water.
vic1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #38
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:

• Oxygenics shower head-- all the reports on this are 1000% true... if you do no other mod, you MUST do this one if you shower in your RV.
  • Replaced the Ventline vent fan with a Vortex II fan-- Super easy install, and no comparison with the original fan
  • I made a pair of Step Jacks/Supports for our entry step... makes the steps much more stable and solid. I think Camco also makes them.
  • Added a Flag Pole and mount-- Let Freedom reign!!!
  • Added a Battery Disconnect Switch
  • Added 12V receptacles in the bedroom
  • Added a second Propane Quick Connect
Did the same thing for my steps however bought off Amazon.. Work great and fold up and lock in place under step.. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #39

The analog thermostat has a tolerance 5 to 7 degrees from settings, in others words you set it at 70 degrees, A/c may not come on until it hits 77 degrees and in reverse if using heat, it may not come on till it hits 63 degrees! Most digital thermostats are are in 1 degree tolerance , in other words you set it at 70 degrees , A/c will come on 71 degrees and if using heat it will come on 69 degrees ! Also a trick to do in very humid climates is to turn on ac and leave on, but take you blower setting off auto to manual on all the time! Fan will keep blowing and A/C compressor will work as normal kicking on and off as needed! This does 2 things! 1. when your compressor shuts off the coils are still cold , with fan still running camper will continue to cool while compressor off! 2. This will keep your coils from freezing up in humid climates !
GarFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #40

Quote:

Bria..do you know if there is anything special about this Kit?
I came up with my own fittings and quick connect hose for my Weber. My conversion looks almost identical to theirs .
It doesnt seem to make the same heat? The flame is shorter. It doesnt seem to have the same pressure and flow rate ? Just wondering if you happen to know? Thanks
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer