Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #1

Problem with converter?

I seem to be possibly having converter problems with my 2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition 34IK. When picking up RV from storage the battery was dead. The RV stays plugged in to 110 while stored. Had battery charged and checked by Interstate dealer and they said battery was good. Traveled over 1,000 miles from Texas to Colorado and battery was fine but after 9 nights of camping, I had unplugged from campground power and when I tried to bring in the slides the battery was dead and no power to the keypad that works everything. I had to plug back into 110 to bring slides in. Had to buy another battery. But even with new battery I have no power to the keypad unless I am plugged in to 110.
Does this sound like a converter issue? All 12 volt lights etc. work when plugged in but none work when just on battery power. This is our 2nd fifth wheel so not new to this but since this is new RV, wondering if the 12volt lights and keypad are supposed to work when not on 110? I am sure they are because if you’re dry camping you need battery power to control hydraulics, slides, lights, correct?
ktderobich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Always Learning

Is it possible that your battery is disconnected?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #3

does not sound like a converter issue as you say you have 12 volt power when plugged into shore power. you have gone through a couple of sets of batteries. they are not getting charged when plugged into shore power! i would suspect the battery disconnect switch. but find out for sure! measure the voltage across the battery terminals when not connected to shore power. then connect to shore power and take the same measurement. it should be around 13.6 volts dc. if it is not this confirms that you are not charging your batteries. also, do you have the lippert levelup system installed on the unit? if you do you can get the battery voltages right off the lippert display panel.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

Check the battery disconnect switch, inline 12vdc resetable fuse on the hitch or in a front storage compartment, and the reverse polarity fuses at the breaker/fuse panel.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

I also suggest getting a multimeter so you can see what's actually happening. It takes all the guess work out of investigation of electric issues.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Check the battery disconnect switch, inline 12vdc resetable fuse on the hitch or in a front storage compartment, and the reverse polarity fuses at the breaker/fuse panel.
Yes... do this ^^^

... and this vvvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
I also suggest getting a multimeter so you can see what's actually happening. It takes all the guess work out of investigation of electric issues.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #7

On my FR Classic Super Lite 5th wheel, there is a trip switch in a small space right behind the 5th wheel hitch that will disconnect the batteries from the main 12 volt trailer circuit. These look like mounting blocks with wires attached side by side, but if you feel around all 4 sides of this box, there will be a small part that you push in to reset. This will reconnect your batteries to the rest of the coach (and they will be charged when on shore power). I say rest of the coach because with that switch tripped, the batteries would still run the slides, just not the inside stuff.
Kevin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #8

I think we're all on the right track here. Since you have 12vdc power to the lights and slides when plugged in to 110vac then that would indicate that the converter is working. Since none of that works when on batteries alone that would point to the batteries being disconnected somehow.
Measuring the voltage at the battery you should see something around 11-13 volts depending on the state of charge, 11 being very low. When plugged in that voltage should go up to near 14v. That will show that the converter is working and connected.
This sounds to me like a disconnect switch or circuit breaker on the 12vdc line.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Johnson View Post
On my FR Classic Super Lite 5th wheel, there is a trip switch in a small space right behind the 5th wheel hitch that will disconnect the batteries from the main 12 volt trailer circuit. These look like mounting blocks with wires attached side by side, but if you feel around all 4 sides of this box, there will be a small part that you push in to reset. This will reconnect your batteries to the rest of the coach (and they will be charged when on shore power). I say rest of the coach because with that switch tripped, the batteries would still run the slides, just not the inside stuff.
That is the infamous resetable fuse/circuit breaker. There are several different designs used.
Attached Images

Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktderobich View Post
I seem to be possibly having converter problems with my 2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition 34IK. When picking up RV from storage the battery was dead. The RV stays plugged in to 110 while stored. Had battery charged and checked by Interstate dealer and they said battery was good. Traveled over 1,000 miles from Texas to Colorado and battery was fine but after 9 nights of camping, I had unplugged from campground power and when I tried to bring in the slides the battery was dead and no power to the keypad that works everything. I had to plug back into 110 to bring slides in. Had to buy another battery. But even with new battery I have no power to the keypad unless I am plugged in to 110.
Does this sound like a converter issue? All 12 volt lights etc. work when plugged in but none work when just on battery power. This is our 2nd fifth wheel so not new to this but since this is new RV, wondering if the 12volt lights and keypad are supposed to work when not on 110? I am sure they are because if you’re dry camping you need battery power to control hydraulics, slides, lights, correct?
We had same problem with our 2018 silverback. Found out if you leave slide switch in “on” position it drains your batteries
Blairs7x70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #11

I had a similar issue and it was resolved with the battery dis connect switch. Good Luck
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter