Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #1

Pulling a Trailer

So my yesterday didn't go so good. I was pulling my boat to work yesterday morning for afternoon fun. We had quite a rainstorm going on but it was supposed to clear up. I live in WV so our Interstates aren't even straight. I was coming down off the hill on I-77 N and a slight right hand turn in a bridge (raining very hard) Hit the metal strip coming onto the bridge probably going 70ish or so, bald tires on TV that I knew needed replaced soon. Rear tires bounce a little boat pushes me a little sideway, I counter steer slightly, then a little more now I am 180 deg straight across the Istate no clue where boat is not looking back finally get it too start straightening up thinking I have it saved, counter steering slowly and then the trailer must have been beside me and pushed me quickly the other way, now I am headed to median (no guard rail just a 4' or 5' slight incline to the center and 4' to 5' slight incline back up, rocks and grass beginning to fly as I am coming out of the median boat is coming around to my drivers door hits the rear tail light and launches across the I-state pointed south bound in the south bound ditch is where it stops, TV and me stop in the south bound fast lane headed in the wrong direction, trailer still hooked to the ball is twisted around my truck blocking my door. I try to start the truck to no luck so I jump out the passengers side stand in the median and asses the situation (find the boat). A gentleman stopped and started slowing down traffic and then I jumped in started the truck and pulled it and the mangled trailer to the crossover in the median. WHAT A RIDE. TV exteriorally looked hardly damaged busted taillight and slight mark on drivers door from trailer tire and drivers front tire ripped off rim. Boat had no holes just cosmetic damage. Wrecker driver asked me if I wanted him to put it on a rollback, i told him either that or I had to wait on a flood. (by the way any one from GM if you think you could find a way to hide all the parts for the jack any better than that, it took 3 of just under an hour to find all parts.) Drove vehicle back to shop and hit the garage door on the way in. Which was worse than the cosmetic damage from the wreck. Upon looking at the truck the hood no longer lined up correctly which I was pretty sure what that meant so we sent it too the shop and the frame was slightly bent near the front drivers side tire. $4700 damaged to TV, trailer totalled, boat hasn't been looked at yet. I came out unscathed with clean pants. Didn't I just say I pulll trailers alot. also I just bought the boat and put insurance on it 2 weeks ago, first trip to water besides test run.
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #2

DANG!!!! What a day.

Glad you made it out OK!!

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #3

WOW, you were very lucky. Even clean pants, can't say I would fare that good. Glad you are still with us.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
RAC

Glad you are still here Steve.........be grateful you weren't on 19 when it happened.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #5

Thanks all. I beleive that was life #7. I am getting closer and yes 19 is much more dangerous but slower speeds on 19 and cops patrol that so speeding is not a problem you will get a ticket.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Steve, Steve, Steve...
Where do I start on this one????

Ok. First...I too, am glad you are alright.
Let's examine the facts:
Towing a boat, during a bad rainstorm, at 70 MPH, on bald tires, on a curvy downhill slope, you tow trailers often and like to speed.

Steve. Tell me you 'like to walk on the wild side.'
I understand why you are on life #8 now. Just remember...9 lives is pretty much it. That doesn't leave much room for error.

I hope you've learned something from the ordeal. Be safe out there.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #7

I learn something everytime. (I think). yeh I probably didn't add all those up before I left the house, but that is alot of contributing factors. Guy comes to look at boat today. We'll see how much pain that is for state farm.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
RAC

Pain for state farm??? Hardly. Wait till they start telling you about "betterment" and try to replace your stuff with used parts......then it will be painful, but not for state farm.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #9

Its never painful for State Farm, or any other insurance company. At least you are all right. Its easier to replace the boat and trailer than you.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
RAC

Yes that is the main thing.

Steve, how many good spots are around the Elkhart area?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #11

Are you talking to me about elkhart? I am not sure were elkhart is. Do you mean elkins? Only cosmetic damage on boat I think they won't use any parts, I don't think it hurt the drive. And unlike most I have had state farm all my life and if I add all the times they have wrote me checks for my many vehicle accidents, I might be ahead still.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #12

if you were talking about elkins, wv. here is one I have stayed at http://www.revelles.com/ . Very nice area decent campground. I stayed there years ago, alot to do around there. If you fish it is right on a good trout stream.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
RAC

yup yup....elkins......not sure how I got indiana in this....
Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #14

There are alot of campgrounds around Elkins, you are getting close to snowshoe ski resort, seneca rocks, seneca caverns, blackwater falls, plus much more if you are into the outdoors, that would be a mecca. Along with Fayetteville-summersville area (which is too far for a day drive from elkins but would be a whole other trip), lake boating, rock climbing, World renowned (sp) whitewater rafting and kayaking. If you are wondering anything about places in WV I have been to most all at one time or another, If I don't have the answer I have a buddy who has had a TT for years and has stayed most everywhere in WV.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #15

I currently have my trailer at Mountain lake campground. I got reservations again in a couple of weeks. so for $8 they pull my trailer off the campsite, pump it, store it for $20 a month and then reset it up, when I am going to return. That is cheaper than the gas to pull it home.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #16
RAC

That sounds interesting..... I have been to Blackwater falls......stayed in a condo in the Canaan valley. Have some great photos of the falls frozen in time.....we were there in Feb.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
The Jolly Mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsteve View Post
if I add all the times they have wrote me checks for my many vehicle accidents, I might be ahead still.
...add HISTORY OF VEHICLE ACCIDENTS
to my post on THE FACTS!

PS...SF and I parted ways after the third time they screwed me.
The year was 1997. (see THE FLOOD OF THE MILLENIUM on Discovery Channel)

Old 07-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #18
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
...add HISTORY OF VEHICLE ACCIDENTS
to my post on THE FACTS!

PS...SF and I parted ways after the third time they screwed me.
The year was 1997. (see THE FLOOD OF THE MILLENIUM on Discovery Channel)

I withheld my SF story.....don't like to diss things folks have.......but I didn't learn the term "betterment" from miriam webster!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #19
The Jolly Mon

Oh...trust me. That is withholding for me.

I had SF for many years...there were good times/bad times. I'm not dissing them, nor anyone who uses them...just stating the facts. This was just MY experience...everyone's will be different...I imagine.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #20
RAC

perhaps. )