Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 04:29 PM   #1

Question re the Arctic Wolf 287BH

My TV is a 2021 Ford 5150 super crew short bed with a 5L V8 engine. I am going nuts trying to decipher the weight and tow capacity. Supposedly the truck can tow 14K. The Arctic Wolf 287BH has an empty weight of about 8300 lbs. Will mt TV be able to pull it. TIA for all input. Regards
welfarecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfarecop View Post
My TV is a 2021 Ford 5150 super crew short bed with a 5L V8 engine. I am going nuts trying to decipher the weight and tow capacity. Supposedly the truck can tow 14K. The Arctic Wolf 287BH has an empty weight of about 8300 lbs. Will mt TV be able to pull it. TIA for all input. Regards
You are seriously considering towing a 5th wheel, with a non-HDPP F150? [emoji33]
Figuring the minimum 20% of the trailer's GVWR for a ballpark loaded pin weight, results in a pin weight of 2305lbs. I don't know of any v-8 half ton truck capable of that heavy pin weight.
You need to forget how much it can tow and focus how much payload capacity your truck has to carry the trailer's loaded pin weight.
What does your truck's driver's door yellow Tires and Loading sticker say is the truck's payload capacity?
Nearly all half ton trucks will run out of payload WAY before reaching the max towing capacity.
The last mistake is that you can't tow a 5th wheel with the 5.5 short bed.
Trailer's specs:
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/fifth...olf/287BH/4818
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:09 PM   #3

It can be confusing.

To strip it down to the easiest to manage ideas, the two main components of a suitable TV's capability are (1) tow capacity: how much weight can the truck-and-components DRAG, and (2) payload: how much weight can the truck-and-components (frame, axle, body, etc) CARRY.

TOW CAPACITY:
Ford (and most manufacturers) like to market with the biggest numbers they can. In this case, the 14k lbs refers to "haywagon" or uncarried weight (think of a 4 wheeled wagon - the entire weight of the wagon and its cargo is borne by trailer, NONE is seen by the truck). The Artic Wolf's 8,368 lbs (empty) is a good place to start, though again, this is a slightly fictitious number. Without a true weight of this rig as you will carry it, let's estimate: I'd assume you would use half of it's total cargo carrying capacity (CCC = 3,157, so 1/2 of that would be 1578). 8,368 (empty trailer) + 1,578 (added cargo) = 9,946 lbs. This is under your 14k towable limit.

PAYLOAD
If you look on the driver's side door jamb, you'll see a yellow sticker, that advises how much weight THAT SPECIFIC TRUCK AS DELIVERED FROM THE FACTORY can CARRY. this is a number that is significantly less than the "haywagon" (or pulled) weight. The truck will need to accommodate the tongue weight/pin weight of the trailer (published weight of which is 1,325#, but this number is LOW by a significant amount, as it does not include batteries, propane and real world cargo in the trailer). A safe pin weight target should be 20% of the trailer's TOTAL weight. We're using 9,946 for your weight, so 20% of that would be: 9946 * 20% = 1989 - that's how much payload we'll be adding to the back of the truck.

Since the Arctic Wolf is a fifth wheel, you will need to add the weight of the hitch that goes in the bed to carry the trailer as well. The 20% of the estimated weight should accommodate cargo.

Subtract (1,989 + the weight of the hitch) from your payload number. That leaves you the amount of weight you can put in your truck now, including you/family/dog, etc.

On tow capacity, you should be below the 14k (if that's truly the capacity of your F150), but likely scraping against (if not well over) the payload number when using real world numbers.

Long story short, F150's are generally not great tow vehicles for larger/heavier fifth wheel trailers. If by some miracle you can manage to fit the Arctic Wolf within those number, it will likely be stressing you and your truck to tow the 287BH with it. A F250 or 350 would likely do much better for you.

just spitballing, hope this helps.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The last mistake is that you can't tow a 5th wheel with the 5.5 short bed.
I'm with you, Dan, but can't he use a slider or sidewinder hitch with the short bed?

I'm ignorant about such things (and many others).
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
I'm with you, Dan, but can't he use a slider or sidewinder hitch with the short bed?
Yes, if it's a 3/4 or 1 ton short bed, which is at least 6.5ft long.
The F150 short bed is 5.5ft long.
I also have a F150 SCREW cab and short bed. There's no slider or sidewinder that will work, that I've ever found. The few F150s that I've seen and read about, that pull 5th wheels, have the F150 long bed.
Bottom line is that the OP's truck probably doesn't have enough payload capacity for 2305lbs.of pin weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 08-17-2022, 05:32 PM   #6

I could use a slider 5th wheel. The problem is the capacity and I just don't see being able to do it. Arctic wolf says the trailer is designed for a 1/2 ton truck butvi just dint see it. Oh well...guess I'll have to buy a F250...
welfarecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:36 PM   #7

yeah, sorry, buddy. Looks like this is a nope.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:40 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfarecop View Post
I could use a slider 5th wheel. The problem is the capacity and I just don't see being able to do it. Arctic wolf says the trailer is designed for a 1/2 ton truck butvi just dint see it. Oh well...guess I'll have to buy a F250...
You're believing clever RV marketing.
There are very few 1/2 tons that are capable and they are called "unicorns" because they almost always have to be special ordered. Like the F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload package and the Max Tow package.
You didn't mention what your truck's payload capacity sticker says. It'll say "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs".
Where have you found a 5th wheel slider hitch, that'll work in a 5.5ft bed crew cab?
By the way, the Arctic Wolf website only says "Lightweight", nothing about 1/2 ton Towable.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/fifth...elected=1#home
Old 08-17-2022, 07:43 PM   #9

Three Points -

The original post indicated some 8K for empty weight. Other than the trailer exit from the factory, one NEVER tows a trailer at the empty weight figure.

Three rules which I apply;

(a) With passengers and camping stuff in the tow vehicle, plus trailer hitch/pin weight, this should not exceed the cargo weight posted on the driver-side door placard of the tow vehicle.

(b) Use the maximum tow capacity of the tow vehicle and figure 80% of that number. This gives a number suggested to be at or below for gross weight or maximum weight number for the trailer.

(c) Never rely on what any salesman says. Go by the published numbers.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arctic wolf, question