Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
To the OP, I'm not going to lecture you about weight or truck limits. You asked for a specific floor plan want. We have just that in our Grand Design 337RL. You may want to check it out. It WILL need a one ton to pull it; they are pin heavy.
Yes we looked and liked the GD 337 but yes too heavy for us
Old 01-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #22
WFD

I need to clarify my post #9....I stated in there that with your truck you will likely be over your limits with a 5th wheel....that's a typo. What I meant was that you would very likely be over with a 5th wheel of the weight (13,000 lbs) that you mentioned in your original post. There are plenty of 5th's that your truck will handle with ease. As others have said, plenty of trailers under 10,000 lbs that would very likely not be an issue for your truck....just need to find the floor plan you both like. If nothing fits your "must have " list with the exception of the bigger, heavier units, then you will probably be truck shopping as well, if not now, soon after you buy that trailer.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:37 PM   #23

5th Wheel

Depends on your TV and the total length you are looking at. Consider your style RVing, luxury or boon docking. Consider if you plan to go to national parks, more limited on number of sites for over 35'. A lot of choices. We are also looking, coming from 2750 V-Lite-31' total, similar to your trailer. Our required specs are something close to 34' w/ theater seating, prefer queen to have side tables and I also like the pull out for the bed like our current trailer. I also want 16" wheels and tires and central hook-ups. Many we have looked at have less tank capacity than what we currently have. Our trailer has been very good, but really like some of the features and quality in Grand Design models in the size we are looking at. We looked @ Cedar Creeks in this size and they did not have the theater seating and I saw several flaws in construction. They all have their faults.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #24
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I just traded my 35 ft V-Light for a new Phoenix 5er. The one I bought is around 33 ft with gross weigh 12000# Pin witht is around 1700 and my Ram has plenty of room to spare on that weight. Just a couple of pics of camper which has a nice big shower. If your truck can handle the next size up I think you can get king bed. Later RJD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7773.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	222039   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191202_142138.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	222040  
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:13 PM   #25

Smile

DW and I researched for several years before deciding on a 2016 Cardinal 3250 fifth-wheel. Some of the features that stood out are as follows:
1. Top quality exterior finish.
2. Spacious kitchen area with plenty of convenient counter top space.3. A kitchen peninsula vs. kitchen island. This way no one can enter the kitchen area while DW or I am cooking.
3. Kitchen area allows us to face the living/dining area to converse with guests while cooking.
4. Full king-size bed in a spacious slideout.
5. All slideouts lower flush with the cabin floor when fully extended. Most 5-ers leave a 2-3 inch "lip" on the floor good for nothing except stubbing toes!
6. Fully plumbed for washer/dryer.
7. Large, rectangular shower with convenient bench seat for when we get too old to stand while showering.
8. Dual AC units.
9. Three holding tanks.
10. Very quiet propane furnace.
11. Built-in "fake" fireplace that I didn't want at first. Now serves as a very efficient cabin heater when we have full hook-ups.

Take your time and visit as many RV shows that you can before making a final selection. Sometimes the best deals are available at shows, especially near the end of the calendar year.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #26

Recommend a 5th Wheel

Hi. Not trying to push any buttons here. We own a SOB Been FR owners for many years. But this 2020 Jayco 319 MLOK Describes all the things you are looking for in a 5th wheel. Just saying. Check it out. No offense to FR owners. They are a good unit. Thanks
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:51 PM   #27

Welcome To The Opening Of Pandora's Box!!
There really is so much to consider,but in the end,it's Your money. It better be Your Way! Take Your time. You already know what You're up against with having enough Tow Vehicle. Get to the Shows after doing a Good Look on the 'Puter to get a sniff at the right floorplan. Get Honest Owner Reviews on those units. Make sure that Your Dealer rates as "Up To Snuff"! Create a PDI and compare it to the Dealer's at the time of Purchase Negotiation. Lastly,make this a Labor of Love! It's Your Time! Good Luck,My Friend,and keep absorbing from these Fine Folks here. They'll give You some Good Road to ride Your thoughts on!
cedarcreekbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
DW and I researched for several years before deciding on a 2016 Cardinal 3250 fifth-wheel. Some of the features that stood out are as follows:
1. Top quality exterior finish.
2. Spacious kitchen area with plenty of convenient counter top space.3. A kitchen peninsula vs. kitchen island. This way no one can enter the kitchen area while DW or I am cooking.
3. Kitchen area allows us to face the living/dining area to converse with guests while cooking.
4. Full king-size bed in a spacious slideout.
5. All slideouts lower flush with the cabin floor when fully extended. Most 5-ers leave a 2-3 inch "lip" on the floor good for nothing except stubbing toes!
6. Fully plumbed for washer/dryer.
7. Large, rectangular shower with convenient bench seat for when we get too old to stand while showering.
8. Dual AC units.
9. Three holding tanks.
10. Very quiet propane furnace.
11. Built-in "fake" fireplace that I didn't want at first. Now serves as a very efficient cabin heater when we have full hook-ups.

Take your time and visit as many RV shows that you can before making a final selection. Sometimes the best deals are available at shows, especially near the end of the calendar year.
Like everyone has said - RESEARCH, RESEARCH, AND MORE RESEARCH. When DW and I looked for a 5th it took us nearly 4 years to make a decision. We attended several RV shows and looked them over quite extensively. We had most of the musts that Jakie-boy has except for No 2. Which we determined that a kitchen island would be more preferable for us.

We evaluated various models in 4 different brands - Jayco, Cedar Creek, KZ and Avalanche. We eliminated Jayco due to that none of the floor plans at the time fitted us what we were looking for. (Note I know my local Jayco dealer who is only about 3 miles from my home, but he understood why we eliminated Jayco. So we both were disappointed.)

We visited in three different weeks the other 3 factories to see how they built their products. After evaluating the floor plans, what we had seen at the factories and the dealers, it was pretty evident for OUR desires to go with the Cedar Creek 36CK2. And if I were to look for one today, I would add several things to my must have list.

So my recommendation is to take your time and look at it again and again to make sure it is to YOUR liking. And don't just focus in on one brand until you have looked a few of the others over.

Yes you need to evaluate your TV capabilities, but as some have indicated you might want to look at upgrading that at the same time. I had a 2010 1/2 ton Avalanche which towed my 6800 lb TT. I traded the Avalanche in late 2014 for my current TV which is a 2500HD Diesel as I was wanting to buy a 5er which I bought 3 years later. Now I am considering a newer TV as they have more enhancements on them and greater towing capabilities then my current 2015.

Just realize that it will be a never ending. New 5th begets newer TV which begets a more updated 5th, etc etc etc.

Good luck and safe endeavors

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #29
Citrus County, Fl.

Hoogy, I think sticking with a rear kitchen will give you the largest counter space and will also have less pin weight for you. I have seen the new Phoenix that Aceinsp has but the dinette is on the wrong side for you. Since you currently have a Rockwood you may want to stay with that. Here is a new floor plan that may suit your needs. Lots of counter space, dinette on door side and large rectangle shower. 36' long, loaded about 12000 lbs with a probable pin weight of 2000 to 2400 lbs. Also has a good size grey tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8291RK Rockwood 5er.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	222062  
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassinthru View Post
Hi. Not trying to push any buttons here. We own a SOB Been FR owners for many years. But this 2020 Jayco 319 MLOK Describes all the things you are looking for in a 5th wheel. Just saying. Check it out. No offense to FR owners. They are a good unit. Thanks
All looks good except Kitchen needs to be on other side. She wants windows where kitchen is
Old 01-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarcreekbob View Post
Welcome To The Opening Of Pandora's Box!!
There really is so much to consider,but in the end,it's Your money. It better be Your Way! Take Your time. You already know what You're up against with having enough Tow Vehicle. Get to the Shows after doing a Good Look on the 'Puter to get a sniff at the right floorplan. Get Honest Owner Reviews on those units. Make sure that Your Dealer rates as "Up To Snuff"! Create a PDI and compare it to the Dealer's at the time of Purchase Negotiation. Lastly,make this a Labor of Love! It's Your Time! Good Luck,My Friend,and keep absorbing from these Fine Folks here. They'll give You some Good Road to ride Your thoughts on!
Thank you for the info you are correct with everything you said
Old 01-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #32

The journey is half the adventure!

Enjoy the research.. It can/will be overwhelming. When it is, step away from the keyboard.

Good luck

Mike
Old 01-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #33
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogy View Post
Currently own 2017 rockwood windjammer 3025W. Looking to get a fifth wheel. This will be first time purchasing fifth wheel. Need to have have plenty of counter space. The wife insist on these. Want the dining table on entry door side. Has to have rectangle shower . Hate the neo-angle. Also would like bed to slide out, but not deal breaker. What do you recommend?

Thanks Scott

Went from this

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	486.4 KB
ID:	222279
to this:

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	222280
Columbus 340rk we love it...great choice for us.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #34

Same as justpassinthru above, for a look at SOB, check out Open Range 314 (king bed option) or 284. We loved our FR product for our first one, but, after walking through every mid-bunk option out there at last year's Tampa Supershow, we fell in love with the OR.

Open Range is a little lighter than some of their competitors, which may help you out. I am sure there are numerous reasons, but, the big one that I saw was the use of cable slides.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando bull View Post
Same as justpassinthru above, for a look at SOB, check out Open Range 314 (king bed option) or 284. We loved our FR product for our first one, but, after walking through every mid-bunk option out there at last year's Tampa Supershow, we fell in love with the OR.

Open Range is a little lighter than some of their competitors, which may help you out. I am sure there are numerous reasons, but, the big one that I saw was the use of cable slides.
Yep, if we get a 5th wheel, we'll be getting an Open Range 280RKS. FR doesn't make anything like it, in any of its divisions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #36

Cedar Creek

We have a Cedar Creek 2019 33IK and love the floor plan. Loads of counter space and slide out king bed.
Quote:
Currently own 2017 rockwood windjammer 3025W. Looking to get a fifth wheel. This will be first time purchasing fifth wheel. Need to have have plenty of counter space. The wife insist on these. Want the dining table on entry door side. Has to have rectangle shower . Hate the neo-angle. Also would like bed to slide out, but not deal breaker. What do you recommend?

Thanks Scott
CathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 PM   #37

look

Look at open range or highland ridge...
Old 01-27-2020, 11:49 PM   #38

Quote:

Thanks Scott
Hey Scott,

You have the same (sort of) requirements we had. We just trade on a GD Solitude 310 GK . works for us. It's heavy but tows really nice, currently in Pismo Beach on our maiden voyage with this rig.

Good luck,

Anders
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #39

Yep. My Cedar Creek was pretty bullet proof. Enjoyed that fifth wheel.
hotrod4448 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel