Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #1

Recommendations on fifth wheel

Currently own 2017 rockwood windjammer 3025W. Looking to get a fifth wheel. This will be first time purchasing fifth wheel. Need to have have plenty of counter space. The wife insist on these. Want the dining table on entry door side. Has to have rectangle shower . Hate the neo-angle. Also would like bed to slide out, but not deal breaker. What do you recommend?

Thanks Scott
Old 01-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #2

Research, research, and then some.

There are too many options.

You need to make a must have, would like, don’t care
It’s all options. Also a price range.

We searched 2 years. Our first rv. We got lucky, or good on our pick.

Our, best bang for the buck, was more than $10,000 more than our first choice.

So much we did not know!

DW’s must have was a king bed and washer dryer. We spend 8-9 weeks a year in ours.

I wanted structural quality, auto level, 2 acs, 270 degree windows in the living area.

We found out about, tires, drop frame, porcelain toilets, one piece showers, convection oven, 6 volt batteries, rear caps, 2 way fridges and water heaters, lazy boy furniture, exhaust fans, spitting in the bathroom sink, tow vehicle side heights. The list goes on.

Take your time. Ask questions here.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #3

Take a look at the Cedar Creek section. I believe they are built pretty well with fewer problems than some others. I am obviously biased but have owned ours 6 years with minimal issues.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #4

If you can attend an RV show, it's probably one of the best ways to be able to see more options all under one roof. Word of caution.. DO NOT, regardless of what you find, make an impulse buy at an RV show. Have your list of must have, would like options with you. Understand your trucks capability. Take pictures of model's you like. Include in those pictures the weight sticker on the drivers side front.

Try as hard as you can to avoid being impressed by the "gliltter". Stick to your list.

Then, after the show, sit down at the dining room table. Decide the pro's and con's on your short list. Rank them accordingly. If you're not happy with what you've narrowed down, update your must have list. Then begins the internet search to update your potential models.

Always keep focused on the capacities for your tow vehicle. If your list of must haves result in a 5er that exceeds your capability, factor the truck into the equation. Numbers you should focus on to at least narrow down the possibilities are the GVWR of the 5er. The GVWR represents the manufacturers rating of the max weight the 5er can be fully loaded. Then, take 25% of that value. That will represent the likely pin weight of the 5er. That 25% value, added to weight of all passengers in truck, and any other cargo you carry should not exceed the payload of the truck. If that number is close, then compare that total number (pin weight, plus passengers, plus cargo), to the Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating. The sum of the pin weight, passengers etc, plus the trucks rear axle weight unloaded must not exceed the Rear Axle weight rating of the truck.

I would, if possible, weigh my truck with all passengers, full fuel tank and have the rear axle weight and remaining payload burned in my brain, so I can quickly eliminate 5ers that exceed my capacity.

Bottom line - doing research, you WILL be overwhelmed. You can't avoid it. Try to establish a plan, and stick to it. Modify as necessary, but not emotionally.

And also rest assured.. this will NOT be your last 5er.

Mike
Old 01-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #5

X2; on that, I am on our third 5er in 15 years. A Cedar Creek 34RL, which meets my needs as of today.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Always keep focused on the capacities for your tow vehicle.

Mike
X1000!

There are MANY threads on the subject...most are about folks who have trailers too big for their tow vehicle. Of these, PAYLOAD limitations not being fully understood by folks with 5th wheels is very common.

The good news is there are folks on this site that understand the issue.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
If you can attend an RV show, it's probably one of the best ways to be able to see more options all under one roof. Word of caution.. DO NOT, regardless of what you find, make an impulse buy at an RV show. Have your list of must have, would like options with you. Understand your trucks capability. Take pictures of model's you like. Include in those pictures the weight sticker on the drivers side front.

Try as hard as you can to avoid being impressed by the "gliltter". Stick to your list.

Then, after the show, sit down at the dining room table. Decide the pro's and con's on your short list. Rank them accordingly. If you're not happy with what you've narrowed down, update your must have list. Then begins the internet search to update your potential models.

Always keep focused on the capacities for your tow vehicle. If your list of must haves result in a 5er that exceeds your capability, factor the truck into the equation. Numbers you should focus on to at least narrow down the possibilities are the GVWR of the 5er. The GVWR represents the manufacturers rating of the max weight the 5er can be fully loaded. Then, take 25% of that value. That will represent the likely pin weight of the 5er. That 25% value, added to weight of all passengers in truck, and any other cargo you carry should not exceed the payload of the truck. If that number is close, then compare that total number (pin weight, plus passengers, plus cargo), to the Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating. The sum of the pin weight, passengers etc, plus the trucks rear axle weight unloaded must not exceed the Rear Axle weight rating of the truck.

I would, if possible, weigh my truck with all passengers, full fuel tank and have the rear axle weight and remaining payload burned in my brain, so I can quickly eliminate 5ers that exceed my capacity.

Bottom line - doing research, you WILL be overwhelmed. You can't avoid it. Try to establish a plan, and stick to it. Modify as necessary, but not emotionally.

And also rest assured.. this will NOT be your last 5er.

Mike
I agree with what you are saying. research and research again. It is mind boggling. Yes we are going to home at Big E in feb.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
X1000!

There are MANY threads on the subject...most are about folks who have trailers too big for their tow vehicle. Of these, PAYLOAD limitations not being fully understood by folks with 5th wheels is very common.

The good news is there are folks on this site that understand the issue.
Yes have to stay within limits of truck.
Payload on truck is: 2904 pounds
Sierra 2500 Double Cab Standard Bed
Drivetrain 4 Wheel Drive Engine 6.0L V-8 Towing Type Fifth Wheel Axle/Gear Ratio 4.10:1 Max Towing Capacity 14,200 lbs

Want to stay around 13,000 lps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	222032  
Old 01-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
WFD

At 13,000 lbs my friend you likely already looking beyond your capabilities. I have a 2500 with very similar capacities as yours and think you will be at or more likely over your limit with a 5th wheel, but do your research and don't try convincing yourself...most of us here can speak of experience.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #10

We have. 36 foot Cedar Creek. If I did it again I would stay under 10,000 pounds GVW and 30 feet length double slide.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
At 13,000 lbs my friend you likely already looking beyond your capabilities. I have a 2500 with very similar capacities as yours and think you will be at or more likely over your limit with a 5th wheel, but do your research and don't try convincing yourself...most of us here can speak of experience.
Yes have to watch weights. Have found RV site :https://www.flaggrv.com/

Close to me and the have page you add in info on your truck then shows you your capacitys and then shows what you can units you can pull
Old 01-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #12

My recommendations probably would get challenged here. I'll never buy another unless I have a total loss. But there are things I'd insist on, and other things I know I can add later and are not that important at time of sale.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
My recommendations probably would get challenged here. I'll never buy another unless I have a total loss. But there are things I'd insist on, and other things I know I can add later and are not that important at time of sale.

I am hoping this is the last we buy for awhile. Looking for something more easier to tow and confortable. We have seen other campers and know what we would like to have. Just trying to narrow it down.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #14

To the OP, I'm not going to lecture you about weight or truck limits. You asked for a specific floor plan want. We have just that in our Grand Design 337RL. You may want to check it out. It WILL need a one ton to pull it; they are pin heavy.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #15

Research, research, don't expect to find everything you want. Are you going to change tow vehicles! I agree owning 2- 5th wheels 40 foot in length. Have to agree with one reply Cedar Creek, or Cardinal are both of more top quality Forest River than most other options. I have had both. But buying what you both want is the most important. It's a high dollar investment any way you go.
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #16

plenty of rear living 3 slide 5th wheels under 10k pounds. although most may have a wardrobe slide in bed room and not a bed slide.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
What WFD said.

OP, I don't think it is even possible to reach your truck's maximum towing capacity with a fifth wheel trailer without exceeding your truck's payload limit.

It's not a matter of being within one spec (say maximum towing capacity), but rather being within ALL the specs (namely payload in your case, but also axle ratings, tire ratings...).

Also, keep in mind trailer specs for unloaded trailer weight and pin weight very often turn out to be less than actual weights. There are many reasons for this magical weight gain (batteries, propane tanks, trailer optional features, manufacturer's optimism aka "specmanship"...)
Old 01-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #18

5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogy View Post
Currently own 2017 rockwood windjammer 3025W. Looking to get a fifth wheel. This will be first time purchasing fifth wheel. Need to have have plenty of counter space. The wife insist on these. Want the dining table on entry door side. Has to have rectangle shower . Hate the neo-angle. Also would like bed to slide out, but not deal breaker. What do you recommend?

Thanks Scott
We have a 341 RKI cougar rear kitchen counter space is abundant, rectangular shower we love it 38’
thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Take a look at the Cedar Creek section. I believe they are built pretty well with fewer problems than some others. I am obviously biased but have owned ours 6 years with minimal issues.
XXXXXX...2
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #20

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="4"]We moved up from a Rockwood Windjammer to a Cedar Creek 33IK and are very happy with it!]

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel