Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #1

Replace a very bent step on 2017 21FBRS

Has anyone replaced their double step with a single step on a 2017 21FBRS? Going into our storage site the drive way is a little too steep and bent our step to the point it will not pull out and is visibly tweaked pretty good. We are looking to gain some clearance by going to a single step. On the double step the bottom step was darn near on the ground and why we are looking at a single step.
I removed the bent step and see that it is held in place with 2 studs and nuts on the vertical from edge and held with 2 self tapping screws on the horizontal on the back end of step brackets. Most steps I see are mounted with 4 studs on the vertical.
Any help or ideas with be much appreciated!!

Jim K
2019 GMC 2500HD
2017 FR 21FBRS
kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #2

Not sure you need to go to a single step. I replaced my steps on a previous camper for the same reason with replacement steps that had a draft 3-4 inches less than the stock steps. Enough that I never had another problem with them.
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #3

Yes.I could measure the draft of the old step and look for one that is shorter. My biggest problem seems to be the mounting. 2 studs and screws instead of 4 studs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufinger View Post
Not sure you need to go to a single step. I replaced my steps on a previous camper for the same reason with replacement steps that had a draft 3-4 inches less than the stock steps. Enough that I never had another problem with them.
kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent