Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #1

Replacing water heater, anyone?

I recently purchased a Vibe 308bhs. My first experience with and owning a camper. I am finding the quantity of usable hot water for showering purposes, insufficient. Maybe out of my ignorance in plumbing, as well as travel trailers, but is a continuous water heater an option as an upgrade? If so, has anyone done it and which would be a good make/model?
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
lcolbya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
Site Team

There are several tankless water heaters that would work, but you need to address a few other problems before making the decision to install one on your RV.

1. Do you ALWAYS camp at places with full hookups?
2. If not do you have a large waste tote and know how to use it?

You have a finite amount of gray water capacity (32 Gals). If you take normal showers you'll fill that up very quickly unless your on a site with full hookups or have a large tote and don't mind using it.

You may be better off learning to take 'Navy' showers when camping rather than installing a larger capacity water heater.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
There are several tankless water heaters that would work, but you need to address a few other problems before making the decision to install one on your RV.

You have a finite amount of gray water capacity (32 Gals). If you take normal showers you'll fill that up very quickly unless your on a site with full hookups or have a large tote and don't mind using it.

You may be better off learning to take 'Navy' showers when camping rather than installing a larger capacity water heater.
X2, all the water going down the drain has to go somewhere.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #4

Have you tried a "navy" shower? Get wet, turn water off, lather up, turn water on and rinse off...done. Less hot water used. My wife and I have never run out of hot water using this method.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

Thank you @bamarambler
You are very right about all points. My current situation at the moment is that I am am with full hookups and am using the camper as my temporary residence for work. So the only tank capacity that is a concern is the hot water tank.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
Have you tried a "navy" shower? Get wet, turn water off, lather up, turn water on and rinse off...done. Less hot water used. My wife and I have never run out of hot water using this method.

I def have @pipeman
I am temporarily using the camper as my residence for work and frequently need as much rinsing as I do scrubbing haha. Wouldn't figure a tankless/continuous water heater would be too outside the norm of and upgrade, outside of the concern of waste water holding. I'm also not thinking in the "camping" mind frame, more as a "home comfort", seeing as that is the situation I am in at the moment.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
Site Team

I don't have much experience with the tankless kind, but read a lot of forums here where Forest River uses the Girard tankless heaters. You might can do a search on that name and see what comes up and maybe look them up online to see how a retrofit would work.

This link may help:

http://greenrvproducts.com/girard-ta...-water-heater/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is your current hot water heater gas and electric?

If so you can turn both on at the same time for faster heated water recovery.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Is your current hot water heater gas and electric?

If so you can turn both on at the same time for faster heated water recovery.
When we are at full hookups, we do the same and turn on the gas switch before we shower and then off immediately afterwards. This extends the time before you get a cold shower. If two people are showering, we allow 10 minutes between showers to assist with recovery.
An upgrade to the oxygenics showerhead is a must. Stock showerhead sucks.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Site Team

Girard makes good units, but you could even go with a standard household unit given your situation at the moment.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
When we are at full hookups, we do the same and turn on the gas switch before we shower and then off immediately afterwards. This extends the time before you get a cold shower. If two people are showering, we allow 10 minutes between showers to assist with recovery.
WestCoast. What model Oxygenics do you have. I'm looking to upgrade.
Days Camped: 2015 = 51; 2016 = 59; 2017 = 20; 2018 = 12; 2019 =
If you're lucky enough to be camping......You're lucky enough.
beagle22b07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #12

Girard Tankless Water Heater

I love our tankless. You just have to learn how to use it correctly (don't turn on cold, slower flow means hotter water, etc)
You just have to be careful that you only camp where there is sufficient water pressure. Safety mechanism will turn off the gad if flow is too small.
Michelle
Millerx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #13

I have a TT and replaced my 6 gal HW heater with a Truma continuous HW heater.

Yes, you need a sewer connection to get rid of the extra water, but definitely beats a Navy shower and worth it.

When I've had to, I can take a Navy shower. But all the other times a nice shower is worth it. I never ran out of HW. The Truma also works using the FW pump and on 12 volts. No problems when I spent a couple nights in a Walmart parking lot.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #14

Thank you everyone for your input and advice. I am definitely going to be looking into replacing and the feed back has helped me get a better idea of questions to look into and routes to take. Much appreciated
Old 10-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
X2 on the oxygenics shower head. I also changed the faucet over to a single handled one. I feel that I can get it to temp and reduce flow with this setup. I found that we can get 3 showers on about 7-8 gal of water. Lp will give you a quicker recovery time than electric
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #16

Our 2012 Wildcat came equipped with a Girrard tankless. We had a heck of a time getting it to work correctly. Our dealer work real closely with Girrard about our issues. Two things came to light. #1 due to the long run from the tank to the kitchen sink we could nearly fill the galley holding tank trying to get the water hot enough to wash dishes.

At the same time it was impossible to control the temp in the shower without scalding ourselves. Ultimately Girrard authorized a replacement to an upgraded modle. This one temperature overide setting allowing us the increase beyond the originial limits. (15-25 degree max increase )

One thing to consider is they only heat the water to a fixed increase range beyond the temp of the incoming water. ie 60 degree water would only heat to 75 to 80 degrees resulting in very cool showers. WARNING!! if the incoming water is colder, then the heated water is also cooler.

With the newer modle we are able to do what we need to comfortably take care of our needs. I understand there may be a 3rd generation tankless heater from Girrard that is even better than what we have.

I'll leave you with: Do your home work, see and test a working system in action if possible. Consider the impact on your other equipment (holding tanks) and then do whats best for you.

Good Luck.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #17
Explorer

I know Im late to the party and you already have some great advice.
You said you are new to campers, are you sure the winterizing diverter valve is closed? If its not closed you’ll get warm water.
A MOD many do is to trade out the stock high temp thermal couple to a higher rated one, this is fairly easy and much cheaper. If you raise your temp by 5 deg you could possibly get 20% more shower time. This MOD will not help with recovery time.
Another trick I do is to put a small portable heater in the bathroom so I am nice and toasty while turning off the water during the Military Shower.
Campers are Fun
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #18

YoungKopernik, just reminded me about another possible issue. Check that your outside showers is turned off at the faucets and not just at the end of the shower head.

This can also allow mixing of hot and cold water.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik View Post
I know Im late to the party and you already have some great advice.
You said you are new to campers, are you sure the winterizing diverter valve is closed? If its not closed you’ll get warm water.
A MOD many do is to trade out the stock high temp thermal couple to a higher rated one, this is fairly easy and much cheaper. If you raise your temp by 5 deg you could possibly get 20% more shower time. This MOD will not help with recovery time.
Another trick I do is to put a small portable heater in the bathroom so I am nice and toasty while turning off the water during the Military Shower.
Campers are Fun
John
j

Two cents from me:

1. I would be wary of having a small ( I'm assuming electric) heater in any bathroom,especially a small RV one. Just too many ways to have an accident.

2. The "Navy" shower is just another reason I'm glad I joined the Air Force. Nice dormitory rooms with unlimited hot water.:
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:59 AM   #20

wkdant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater