Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Allen View Post
WHY is it I always have to like what is IMPOSSIBLE to find????
Does anyone have an 8280ws Cherry/Saddle they want to sell????
Lori, I think it's called Murphys Law. I thought we were the only ones that had that problem
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #22

I sent out a BUNCH of emails to see if I can find a dealer that still has the Cherry/Saddle combo...I really wasn't planning on buying for at least 6 months, but we'll see...
Is there somewhere online I can see the new color choices? The dealer had a poster that showed it, but the book he gave us still showed the old choices.

f150k- What did you and your wife decide to do? Did she decide on another color choice?
Lori_Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #23

Our dealer ordered one with the options that we were interested in. We do not have to take it if my wife does not like the new fabric. We will have to see about that, I am sure he knows that once she see the new unit that it will be sold. Our dealer checked with the factory sale people and tried to locate one with success. That is when he afford to order with no obligation.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150k View Post
Our dealer ordered one with the options that we were interested in. We do not have to take it if my wife does not like the new fabric. We will have to see about that, I am sure he knows that once she see the new unit that it will be sold. Our dealer checked with the factory sale people and tried to locate one with success. That is when he afford to order with no obligation.
So which fabric did she choose????? I am just curious. I guess I would choose the Charleston??
Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #25

They ordered the unit in Westport. We liked the Charleston but my wife knows me all to well and that fabric was light. I am a magnet for grease and dirt, it just jumps out at me, so light fabric is not good.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #26

Quote:
They ordered the unit in Westport. We liked the Charleston but my wife knows me all to well and that fabric was light. I am a magnet for grease and dirt, it just jumps out at me, so light fabric is not good.
LOL! GOOD point! Be sure to let us know how she likes it!!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is there somewhere online I can see the new color choices?
Here's a link to RV Wholesalers...just click on the color samples.

Rockwood 8280WS Fifth Wheels by Forest River, The Original RVWholesalers. New RV's & Parts Sales, Wholesale Dealer

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Thanks SO MUCH Dave..

One more question..SORRY I am OBSESSING over this! ...does anyone know if you can order the sofa with the all over solid fabric as opposed to the print back??
Old 09-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...does anyone know if you can order the sofa with the all over solid fabric as opposed to the print back??
You can always ask...worse they can say is no! We found that RV Direct was willing ask Rockwood for some "custom" changes for us...none of the other 4 dealers we talked to were interested in even asking.

Dave

Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Thanks SO MUCH Dave..

One more question..SORRY I am OBSESSING over this! ...does anyone know if you can order the sofa with the all over solid fabric as opposed to the print back??
We went with the Charleston because we did not like the pattern on the couch either with the Westport. The HAB couch in ours came with the solid fabric on it.

We too were in love with the saddle/cherry interior and they switched to the new interiors two weeks before our trailer was to be manufactured. . We felt the Vineyard would be too dark with the cherry cabinets. We picked up our 8286WS about two weeks ago and really like the Charleston.

I would be glad to take some pictures if you would like to see the Charleston/cherry combination.
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #31

Lori Allen, if the Rockwood colors don't suit you, check out the Flagstaff. It is the same trailer. We got the cherry cabinets with Sedona interior, and it is really gorgeous. Just had a friend and his mrs drop by to check it out (Jayco owners), and she really liked the combo.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #32

We ordered a 8280WS with the Sidewinder option a few days ago. Will pick it up in Elkhart. Our tow vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Tundra DC/standard bed. Does anyone have any experience with this setup. We haven't installed a fifth wheel hitch yet or brake controller. Any recommendations.
JimSandySkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #33
azwade

Just finished a 5K mile trip with my new 8280WS (picked it up Aug 27th in Lakeview, OH) towed by an 07 Tundra DC 6 1/2 ft bed (Pullrite 15K Superglide). The truck performed amazingly. We drove from Tucson, AZ and back thru most of the eastern states including hilly West Virginia and the Tundra was outstanding. Before leaving I installed the Superglide hitch, airbags, Bilstein shocks, P3 brake controller and ten ply LT tires. Hope you have the tow package with tow mode. It makes a difference. Make sure you have upgraded shocks for the very poor roads like the turnpikes of Ohio and West Virginia where you have a lot of up and down warped cement roadways. Allways had power to spare. Just got home today. The Tundra and the 8280WS are a great combination.
azwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #34

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Thanks for your Update!

Planning on a trip to LakeView in the near feature for a 8285WS. What upgrades did you get for you RV? Thanks for your info on your TV.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #35
azwade

I ordered the "convenience package" which has tinted glass, microwave, power awning, spare tire carrier and cover, aluminum wheels, outside speakers, power stabilizer jacks, gel coat ext finish, etc. I also ordered 12volt deep cycle battery, cherry wood cabinets, 32in LCD TV, "minimum" carpet, storm windows, ceiling fan, hide-a-bed air mattress (in sofa), raised panel refrigerator front, 15K AC, rear ladder, outside grill, king-u-shaped dinette, lazy boy recliners, countertop extension, heated IPO Serta mattress upgrade, water purifier and create-a-breeze bath roof vent. Some of the above was standard but gave you the entire list as delivered. I also had the dealer install awnings for the two slide outs. MSRP was listed as $40,274.64 with sales price at $26831.00 with an additional $920.00 for the two slide awnings. RVW will negotiate if you hold out longer than I did. Have them throw in the LP gas fill for both tanks. Best upgrades: Lazy boy recliners, 15K AC and king-u-dinette upgrade. Worst upgrade for me was the storm windows and serta mattress upgrade. I wound up taking the storm window coverings off and storing them so that I could open the windows. Not needed in my opinion. The serta mattress upgrade was a joke. I received an unheated brick for an "upgrade". Save your money and either buy another quality mattress or get a good memory foam mattress topper for the crap that FR puts in this RV.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #36

We picked up our 8280WS today, the 5vr is everything we had hoped for.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We picked up our 8280WS today, the 5vr is everything we had hoped for.
Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as we've enjoyed ours. Post some pictures when you have a chance.

How did the bed clearance work out for you?

Dave

Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #38

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #39

Price?

We're thinking of the same trailer and was wondering what the best price was that you found? 14K off MSRP is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwade View Post
I ordered a new 2011 8280WS and will pick it up the 27th of this month in Lakeview, Oh. I went though RVWholesalers.com and received almost 14K off MSRP. By ordering the RV I was able to get everything I wanted at a great price. Although I live in Tucson, AZ I do not mind driving to Ohio to pick it up. It took about 9 weeks to build. I have relatives in Ohio and my son is graduating from Army boot camp Sept 16th in Ft Jackson, SC, so I am going to make a grand tour of the east coast (obviously I'm retired). The 8280WS was one of the few 30 ft 5th wheels I could pull with my 2007 Tundra. The Tundra has tons of towing capacity (10600 lbs), GCWR of 16000 lbs, 381 horses (401 fp of torque) but only 1755 payload. It is important for you to know all this before purchasing any 5th wheel. It does not take much to exceed your truck payload rating (people, hitch, gas, 5er hitch, RV pin weight, etc.) unless you have a 1 ton or something. The 8280WS represented a compromise for me because I originally wanted a rear lounge 5th wheel but could not find anything in the 30ft range with a low hitch weight. I ordered (must have) the leather Lazy-boy recliners (thanks to Dave_Monica). I also ordered minimum carpet, large U dinette, cherry wood, slide awnings, and most important, the upgraded Serta mattress which I finally found out is the Serta Fairview line (has memory foam topper). The standard mattress, Serta Alameda, is pretty firm. I apologize in advance for the TMI but I’ve been researching 5ers for about a year and after all things considered, I chose this model. Great quality with few compromises…
Imago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #40
azwade

Imago. figure out what you want (options) and then play RVdirect.com against RVWholesalers.com for the best price. Do not accept either deal right away. Wait a week or two because sometimes they will change their mind and counter offer later. After you have think you have made the best deal, tell them you will go with them if they throw in full propane tanks and an RV starter kit (levels, hose, etc.).. Between the two you should get the best deal. Just my .02 cents.... Be prepared to buy a mattress topper for FR's supplied mattress (even the "upgrade" Serta)...

Tags
280, 5th wheel, 8280ws