Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 11:59 PM   #1

Angry RV Furnace Screen

Ok - Maybe I'm just crazy, but wanted to get the input of the masses on this.

I just took delviery of a beautiful Flagstaff Microlite 21FBRS and now am going though the proces of getting all the lovely little accessories. (previous was a starcraft comet so I get to do this all again).

Which brings me to the furnace (and hot-water heater) insect screens.

First off, after years of manufacturing, do they (Suburban) still not realize that insects exist? Maybe the insects at the manufacturing plant of 2 or 3 inches in size and wouldn't crawl up the furnace tubes, but here in MD- well let's just say there are plenty to choose from including the stink bug.

So next, we can order from Amazon. Camcorp cheap stuff that sticks out over an inch and attaches with tiny tiny springs??

This is 2021 people! Doesn't anyone have something better?

Ideas?
AlphaCasper2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:17 AM   #2

A quick google brings up several screens (mostly Camco) and several DIY options with videos.
Don't know what exactly you are looking for that would be better.
Personally, I never bother with screens anymore and have not had to clean out any insect for the last 15 years or so.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #3

RV Furnace Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
A quick google brings up several screens (mostly Camco) and several DIY options with videos.
Don't know what exactly you are looking for that would be better.
Personally, I never bother with screens anymore and have not had to clean out any insect for the last 15 years or so.

I agree the RV manufactures should include this with all their products and have something more aesthetically pleasing and low profile to cover vents. I’ve not looked to see what’s out on the web but as NMWildcat mentioned, Im sure it’s out there already. Over the years we’ve never had any mud daubers/wasp and only one frog who jumped out when I lit the furnace. We have more of an issue with ants nesting in-the fuse panel. So now I spot treat the camper and ground around it.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

I bought a Camco pack of the little round ones when I got my TT, never got around to putting them on. 3 years later and still no bug problems here in NJ. You would think they would get in through the fridge vent panels, but no problems there either.

I think Suburban must be in cahoots with Camco.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #5

I have no issue with the insect screens on the water heater and furnace vents. I have installed them on all of my trailers over the last 40 years.

I really would not want the RV 2nd tier suppliers adding them to the heating devices. Why? Somethings are just better for you to do as every ones preference is different from what others may want. Also why pay for the additional cost increase that the 2nd tier suppler would charge for this simply attachment.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I have no issue with the insect screens on the water heater and furnace vents. I have installed them on all of my trailers over the last 40 years.

I really would not want the RV 2nd tier suppliers adding them to the heating devices. Why? Somethings are just better for you to do as every ones preference is different from what others may want. Also why pay for the additional cost increase that the 2nd tier suppler would charge for this simply attachment.

Or Suburban can make that metal exhaust plate with a built in piece of mesh. What would that drive the end price up by? 2 cents?
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #7

What Jim just posted.

But while the screens are prohibited by the furnace manufacturer on my Roo I've had them on all my camper trailers (OK both trailers ) the past 20 years. I'm, of course, smarter than the manufacturer...

-- Chuck
Old 02-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #8

texas and oklahoma, mud dobbers are a real pest. and wasps. i use screens on fridge vent and furnace. had to put mesh on fridge roof vent , black starlings were going in sides and nesting on top of fridge. sparrows in hollow part of 5th wheel hitch. small pesty bird in oklahoma was making a nest in the winch tube on boat trailer. shoved a rag in it. baked 5 baby birds in rear of pontoon boat under floor. warm places are a great place for incubation of eggs , and chicks stay warm, or die on a hot summer day. stinky .bought a 70s trailer out of Oklahoma once washed out a bucket full of dobber nests out of roof vent tube from holding tank, + a bunch out of holding tank. trailer sat unused for 5 years in a shed.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #9

TX and OK are no different than any other state in regards to insect/bird problems. The key sentence in your post was the unit sat unused for 5 years. Even screens won't help for that long of a period of non use.
You have to maintain your RV regularly. If birds are building nests and raising young, you have not been maintaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
texas and oklahoma, mud dobbers are a real pest. and wasps. i use screens on fridge vent and furnace. had to put mesh on fridge roof vent , black starlings were going in sides and nesting on top of fridge. sparrows in hollow part of 5th wheel hitch. small pesty bird in oklahoma was making a nest in the winch tube on boat trailer. shoved a rag in it. baked 5 baby birds in rear of pontoon boat under floor. warm places are a great place for incubation of eggs , and chicks stay warm, or die on a hot summer day. stinky .bought a 70s trailer out of Oklahoma once washed out a bucket full of dobber nests out of roof vent tube from holding tank, + a bunch out of holding tank. trailer sat unused for 5 years in a shed.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess this is really a 3 part question.

1 - are they really that neccessary?

2 - Why aren't they put on by the manufuacturer. Clearly Suburban can and does make one for thier tankless water heater soultion (see: https://www.airxcel.com/rv/suburban/...d-water-heater )

3 - I'm ok adding as after-market, but isn't there a better option than the current screens and the little springs and that sticks out over an inch? They aren't bad, but they aren't the best looking, especially if you just dropped $50k on a brand new 5th wheel.
AlphaCasper2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #11

WRT “ 1 - are they really that necessary?”. They are like insurance, may not ever need it but sure is nice when needed. A number of years ago I had purchased a used popup with a furnace. The furnace had a mouse nest with a couple of dead mice in it. It took disassembly of part of the furnace to eradicate the problem. Fortunately the furnace was easily accessible. After cleaning it out it did perform flawlessly. And yes, I added a rectangular screen to the inlet/outlet ports just to be certain it would not happen again. Used that pop up for a couple of years then sold it.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #12
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
If birds are building nests and raising young, you have not been maintaining.

I drive my pickup 7 days a week, wash once a week and I just cleaned out another bird nest from inside the grill. Same thing last week. Maybe your local birds are just slow builders?
Old 03-01-2021, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
I drive my pickup 7 days a week, wash once a week and I just cleaned out another bird nest from inside the grill. Same thing last week. Maybe your local birds are just slow builders?
Well, NM is the Land of Manana, so maybe they are!
Does the front of your truck look like a bird house, do you work in an aviary or a grain mill?
Old 03-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #14
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Well, NM is the Land of Manana, so maybe they are!
Does the front of your truck look like a bird house, do you work in an aviary or a grain mill?

It must look like one to these pesky birds LOL!

Tags
furnace