Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #41
Retired Old Fart

I presume you still have to deal with the plywood base. Get some thin luan plywood from HD/Lowes and skin it over the existing base. It will add almost no weight and seal over the funky plywood (assuming it's now dried out and still flat).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:21 AM   #42

I *think* (hope) my good friends at CW worked it out to just replace the plywood as well as the mattress. The carpet underneath seemed unaffected. Thank you for the suggestion though...If CW doesn’t replace the base I’ll probably do just that.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #43

We just purchased a Glideaway mattress. Mattresses – Glideaway

We went with the Awakenings line (mattress in a box) 8" FIRM. The come in 10" & 12" but, get softer as they get thicker. We paid $700 for a King at a local mattress store. DW loves the cooling design built into the Awakenings line which makes me happy because she's not kicking the covers off as frequently as she used to.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
We just purchased a Glideaway mattress. Mattresses – Glideaway

We went with the Awakenings line (mattress in a box) 8" FIRM. The come in 10" & 12" but, get softer as they get thicker. We paid $700 for a King at a local mattress store. DW loves the cooling design built into the Awakenings line which makes me happy because she's not kicking the covers off as frequently as she used to.
X2!
Old 09-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #45

This is what we did. When were buying our camper they kept bragging on the fact it had a Denver mattress in it. I had to bust their bubble and tell them it doesn’t matter how great the mattress is, I am 6’ 4” this camper size queen is only 74 inches long. It is the first thing to go. We tried it for 2 Camping trips. It was not very comfortable and the length was a problem just as thought it would be. We found a guy at factory mattress that gave us some great advice. So I replace the board under the mattress with a new one and cut it 5 inches longer then the one I removed. Bought a Serra Icomfort and have not looked back. This mattress does not require a box spring. Still maintains its warranty if used with out a box spring. It bends nicely when I raise it to get into the under storage. While I was working on this I also added bed lifts to make it easier to raise the bed and hold it. I will attach some pictures so you can see.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	213969Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	213970

Be safe and Happy Camping.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:35 AM   #46

We needed to replace our original short queen mattress and started asking dealers about replacement. One guys said I wouldn't sell you one because all I have are the same crappy one we put in our RV. Guy at Lone Star RV in Houston told me if a mattress factory in Houston, called the guy and he said he could build us what ever we wanted. We went to look and he had four different models purchased the middle one at $430.00. and they customized it. Great mattress and good deal. Not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #47

years ago I did this modification to a 2000 Terry, and put pictures on the internet, every once and a while I still see the pictures come up

I had a short queen, but I am 72" tall (and seem to sleep with my feet pointing down so I keep taking the covers off bottom of bed)

The mattress was 74", but the bed was on a slide where when the slide closed the mattress was up against the chest of drawers so you could not use a longer mattress.

I cut a piece of 5/8" plywood to 60" x 18", and mounted this on the foot of the bed on top of bed platform with a piano hinge so the plywood extended 6" past the end of bed frame. Be sure to use short enough screws so you don't have pointy edges when you lift original bed frame top to access storage underneath.
Paint it to stop splinters.
I picked 18" length because it gave me 12" of bearing surface on the new extension plywood against bed platform when open.

Next I cut piece of 1/4" plywood about 18" x 60".
I cut a piece of firm foam the thickness of the mattress into 6" x 60" and glued this foam to top of 1/4" plywood.
Than I covered foam with some upholstery material that was close to the decor of the RV and painted plywood to stop splinters. I chose 18" because this gave me 12" that slides under the original mattress to hold this piece in place while sleeping.

Once we got to campsite, open slide, lift foot of mattress and flip out 18" plywood base, than slide mattress down. Next we would stick 1/4" plywood under head of mattress with foam on head board side than slide mattress on top of 1/4 plywood so it butted up against the foam, and you now have a 60x 80 mattress (and can use standard sheets).
Because the 6" x 60" foam was at the head board end you did not feel any difference in the mattress because the gap was under your pillow.
And the 12" plywood held up the foot of mattress if you sat on it because hinge was screwed into original bed platform.

When it was time to close the slide, you remove the top foam board, close the hinge piece, slide mattress back up against head board, than we would just lay the 1/4" piece of plywood up at the head board with the foam against the head board with pillows siting on the plywood end, than cover it with bed covers.
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #48

For those few memory foam haters out there like us, I recommend the ComfortZone from campingworld. We had a 10 inch in our previous trailer and now have the 8 inch. We use a high quality 3 inch eggcrate on top from foamorder.com. Very comfortable, we like it better than our home bed, in fact we may get one for home too.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #49

The "mattress" in our Catalina was insulting. I would have been happier had they just left the bed empty. After two seasons, we were camping more and going for longer and longer trips. I decided I needed something that didn't leave me up all night with sore hips and shoulders. We ended up going with a 10" Lucid from Amazon. I can't say enough good about it. It comes in RV Queen, it is incredibly comfortable, and it was incredibly affordable at $239. If anything, it is a bit on the firm side, but we like our mattress firm. I also appreciated the convenience of it showing up for with free shipping in two days. One word of advice regardless of what memory foam mattress you end up getting. Wait until it is in the camper and on the bed before you unpack it. This thing is a real mattress and I am not sure it's ever going to come back out of the bedroom door. Glad I didn't have to wrestle it in there. Here's a link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as box springs, they are not 'necessary'. All they do is lift the mattress up to a height which people find more acceptable. They have not actually had springs in them for years and are really nothing other than a cheap wooden frame. Oddly, most non-memory foam mattress manufacturers will still tell you that you need one. In fact, many will not warranty a mattress without one. Why? Because they want to sell box springs.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #50

Those with 3" toppers, do you have to buy special fitted sheets. we have a 3" topper at home, but normal fitted sheets are not deep enough.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote