Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

we do both but more rv parks than state parks because we like to have the activities and amenities that rv parks provide, particularly fhu. I especially look for ones with nice playgrounds since my dd is little. We spend the day taking in what the park has to offer. if we re going somewhere that we will spend very little time at the CG then it doesn't matter about the amenities or size of site but we still want fhu. We camp at state parks for some short weekend trips. We do prefer spaces that are more spread out and will study pics and maps and reviews of CG to try to get what we want.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We really do not like privatly run RV prak much.. (like KOA and such). The site are small, too many people, too many kids and rather pricey.

However we do like state parks or army corps campground. The only problem we have found is many restrict size of the rv (under 30 feet). Many were built back in the dark ages when people camped in tent and are small tight spaces to get into. Some the stae parks and army corps area have been upgraded to allow larger rv units...which I love!

Also the price is MUCH better and affordable... some are only 18.oo anight for water and electris... compared to the 42-48 dollars at a larger priave/corporate campground.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post

Race cars are a thing of Beauty!
X2
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #24
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Hey Rudysworld... what? you DON'T like smelling like a camp fire? bug spray? Having sticky fingers and face from smores? Dirt on your seat from sitting on the gound or old downed log?

I LOVE being outside, no tv, no computer, no cell phone, no video games.

Our nightly entertainment...watching the fire, listeneing to the crickets and caddie dids, watching fire flies. Life is far too short not to take in and enjoy what Mother Nature has given us.

If you dont like any of these things... why leave home?

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #25
Denver, CO

Well, We will pretty much do whatever is available, and the State Parks in Colo are frequently booked WELL in advance, as are the National Parks. We stay where we can, and usually are only in the CG morning and evening, Out here in the mountains level site are not easy to find always
Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Check out www.cajunpalms.com to see what a resort looks like. You can entertain kids there for a week but it'll hurt the pocketbook. Lol.
Should you have some spare change, you can buy it for $38,000,000.00

And it is almost always full
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #27
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcarbona View Post
I'm in the process of upgrading my F150 to a F250 (maybe F350) this year. I'm going to also upgrade my popup to a 30ft travel trailer next year. With the popup, our family enjoys going to state parks and having spots that are a bit more private. We appreciate having a bit of shrubbery between us and the next campsite. We're not antisocial just like a little space between us and the neighbors. I've noticed a lot of TTs inside parking lot style RV parks. It seems there is no privacy in that kind of setting. So what's the appeal? Can you actually spend a pleasant vacation in an RV park?

Maybe that last question is a bit forward but I'm really curious why people don't seem to mind the parking lot style camping. Are they better than the state parks? why? What's your choice?

Thanks!
Here's my perspective:
I live in the Mountain State, my horizon is mountains and trees. I have deer, brown bear, raccoons, rabbits, foxes, buzzards, and all kinds of critters in my yard. If I sit outside my house, I'm camping every bit as much as you are sitting outside your tent, TT, or MH. Perhaps even more. And, I simply don't understand why anyone would choose to live in neighborhoods where the neighbor's house is 8 to 15 feet away.
My bride really loves the ocean, so her favorite destination is Myrtle Beach (often called West Virginia Beach due to the great number of us that can be found there!). Our favorite park is Myrtle Beach Travel Park. It is very much ocean front with easy access. And while the campers/RV's are parked in rows, there is a relatively generous amount of space between units. There are others where units are parked back to back and very close together. We don't go there.
At the end of the day we sit outside under the awning and enjoy the ocean breeze and maybe take a walk around the park to see what kinds of campers other folks own (it's a favorite past time for many people).
There is a really nice State Park just a little bit down the road that doesn't have many spots that I'd like to try. However, I have Morton's neuroma in both feet and walking is a painful activity, and the SP's sites appear to be a healthy distance away from the sand and surf.
Anyway, hopefully this inarticulate rambling has shed a bit of light on why we don't "head for the mountains" but instead "head for the RV park" every chance we get.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #28

For our family, it's a mixture of styles I love the mountains (too far away ), DH and I both love the beach, our camping buddies tend toward resorts and amenities and if the kids are tagging along we try to make sure they have lots of fun things to do. We live in a fairly suburban area although we could find more secluded digs if we tried. I guess it just depends on what you're in the mood for. I personally don't care for the parking lot either.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #29

If the "campground" is the point of the trip we like more private sites.

If the "attraction" is the point of the trip we could care less. The trailer is our hotel room on those trips.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #30

That's why they make 31 flavors (or more) of ice cream!

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We do like both as it depends on what is available ..... at the beach, they try to use the space they have to make the best $ with their expensive property...... & storms took out a lot of the trees. So not much choice......

We stopped using Virginia State Parks as they are more expensive (for us) & their spaces are smaller than the close private campground that we go to. The private campground is for a weekend $30 a night but the state park is over $40 a night. Sooooo run down dirty state park with outdated electrical & old bathouse & a dump station or a nice clean newer campground with full hookups........ Hummmmm.........

Truly we have fun no matter where we go & try not let anything bother us..... It is just nice to get away..... At home we are in the country with lots of trees, neighbors are not close by, even the bovine families across the road moved away.......... actually the land was developed into a hay field..........

How we are. Just get out and camp. Sometimes it's a sardine-packed campground, sometimes it's a state park. I personally find other people entertaining, so a packed resort can be fun. Hiking, fishing, amusement park, it's all fun!
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #32

I'm happy to just get out of town for a couple of days.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #33

As for me, RV parks are a place to stopover for the night and that's all. If we wanted to camp in a parking lot, we'd go to Walmart.
Rodney-the-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

That's why there are so many choices, not everyone likes to boondock. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #35

We prefer many of the Corp of Engineer campgrounds. Like you, we would rather not be too close to our neighbors--they want their privacy, and so do we.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #36

It doesn't matter to me, but i prefer rv parks. State parks are nice, but i like to be able to use the features my trailer has without issues. Electricity etc, etc! I have found many private parks that offer the state park feel. You just gotta look!

I've never camped in a parking lot so i don't know how that is!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
It doesn't matter to me, but i prefer rv parks. State parks are nice, but i like to be able to use the features my trailer has without issues. Electricity etc, etc! I have found many private parks that offer the state park feel. You just gotta look!

I've never camped in a parking lot so i don't know how that is!

Roadtriptowalmart!!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #38
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

Roadtriptowalmart!!

I love Walmarts. Easy in Easy out. I am all set up for it. Parks are for the destination, not the road along the way. At least for me.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
If the "campground" is the point of the trip we like more private sites.

If the "attraction" is the point of the trip we could care less. The trailer is our hotel room on those trips.
X2 It depends on what our purpose is. I would rather stay in my own bed no matter where we go.

2017 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins 4X4 38k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (10) 2018 (10)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #40

We've done full hook-up sites, limited hook ups, no hook ups and non paid (random) camping. In our experience, it all depends on what you are looking for each time..
When we went to the Grand Canyon, the night at the hot springs in Utah was a very welcome break! The full services was nice for not having to drag water with us.. Camping in the forestry has it's appeals, if you are out with a group and might want your fire to be later than the rest of a campground, or you are taking out a quad at the same time. This past weekend, the power at the site was nice to not have to worry about battery usage (even though we still do)..

I shake my head at the people that head out to the forestry and the second thing they set up is the satellite dish.. Why be out in the middle of the mountains and camping to watch tv? I can do that at home.. But that is just my take..

Each to their own, so long as they are having fun and remember to clean up their sites!! No matter where it is...

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote