Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2022, 09:26 PM   #21
Trailer Park Supervisor

Rut-roh Scoob.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
These are typical locations on a trailer. Funny, on a motor vehicle, there about a half dozen locations to find the VIN other than the usual place you look. Guess does not apply to trailers.

• On a metal plate near the tongue
  • Near an axle on the frame
  • On the inside or underside of the frame near the front
The Vin is nowhere to be found on any of these locations then some.
chipmucnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
If the serial number is 17 digits long, it's the VIN also.
The serial is only 9 digits so it is not also the vin
Old 03-25-2022, 09:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Can you post a pic of the sticker on the cupboard door?
My 2007 trailer had a white factory weight sticker that listed the VIN and various weights of the trailer.
I am hopefully attaching the pic. [Pic posted - email address removed. Site Team]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_195329.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	270595  
Old 03-25-2022, 09:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopFla View Post
VIN # and Serial # are the same thing. Just two different names for the number. So if you have the serial number, it's the same thing as the VIN.

I'm wondering about the "ownership" thing too.
The vin and serial # are 2 different things, Vin is 17 digits and serial is 9. Ownership is the same as title. That's what we call it in Ontario LOL
Old 03-25-2022, 09:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Have you talk to MTO office (Service Ontario) and see if with name and address of previous owner would be able to find you info in there system? My trailer has a 17 digit VIN number and 9 digit ser number.
I have talked with MTO several times, there is nothing they can do till I have the VIn. Because it was sold several times at the park the park never required to see the title. Now with times changing I now have to have a title and insurance. If I cannot get possible I could be evicted and suffer a great loss.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincman983 View Post
If you want you could give me the serial number and I might be able to get the full VIN#. I am at the Berkshire plant but like I said i may be able to pull something up. Worth a shot
If u could that would be amazing and I would be so grateful. I am at my wits end. If you need to please email at tsimmerson@hotmail.com.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210521_195329.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	270596  
Old 03-25-2022, 10:25 PM   #28

The dealership that ordered it from the manufacturer has to have the VIN. Did you buy it from the original Dealer? If not is there a Dealer Sticker anywhere on the unit?
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmucnk View Post
I have talked with MTO several times, there is nothing they can do till I have the VIn.
Usually in the U.S. the manufacturer provides the first owner/seller, usually a dealer, with a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) which contains the model, serial, VIN, etc. The (usually) dealer submits the MCO to the motor vehicle office which issues a title. The title stays with the unit until sold at which time a new title is issued.

Canadian practice may vary.

You may be able to get a new MCO, maybe not. The reason not to issue a new one is lack of MCO/title presents a suggestion of possible theft. Someone just shows up out of the blue with a unit and wants a new MCO/title?

The authorities, I would think, will want proof that this unit was sold to your seller and that it was then sold to you. So make that seller get you their paperwork when they bought it.

Sometimes in the absence of paperwork that can no longer be found, authorities will accept a sworn affidavit but they might also require a small bond to be posted with it in case the whole thing blows up later, to pay off the actual prior owner, and I'm talking in actual cases of theft so please don't take offense. I'm not saying anything about you.

Though I do have some questions for the prior owner who never had a title "because it was in a park." They paid for a unit and didn't get a title. Trying to understand how that works. Certainly if there was a loan on it, the loan company would demand to see the title if not to have their name put on it as lender.

Good luck with this.

Moral to others: don't buy without a title. I always recommend buyer and seller take the title and cashier's check to the DMV and if they accept it for transfer then pay the seller. No title, no transfer, no sale. Once the money changes hands, it's a done deal.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
The dealership that ordered it from the manufacturer has to have the VIN. Did you buy it from the original Dealer? If not is there a Dealer Sticker anywhere on the unit?

I did not buy it from the dealer, I bought it used. It has changed hands several times.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:18 AM   #31

Quote:

The unit has changed hands several times, it is my understanding it has changed hands several times in the park. They did not require ( the park ) to see the title. But now with policy's changing I now need to have a title for the unit, but unable to locate the Vin for the unit. Because of the trailer being 1999 the sticker on side of the unit is now faded and unable to see the vin. Cannot locate the vin plate anywhere on the unit whether it be on the tongue, frame or doors. At my wits end.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:00 PM   #32

Call a local Canadian Tire. They may be able to issue a new vin if you declare it self built (long shot). Otherwise your only option is a reverse title search of past owners names to hopefully find a vin somewhere. If you push too hard anywhere you risk having to cops called and your trailer may be declared stolen. Then you are hopped as you didn’t do proper due diligence and get the ownership, or registration or title, whatever you may call it in Ontariario.
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Hello,
Looking for answers. I bought a 1999 Salem 27' FKSS from someone without an ownership. Now need an ownership and cannot locate the VIN, only have the serial #. I checked the entire frame, tongue, doors everywhere. Cannot find it. How can I get an ownership when I only have a serial #? Please help, located in Ontario.

Thanks.
I VIN # will have 17 digits. A serial number will probably have less. Unless it’s an antique, I fairly certain all RV’s have a serial number. Check the frame, or take to RV repair facility. They could probably find it for you.
Was there ever a license plate on it? If there is/was, and you know the number, contact your local police dept. They will be able to provide you a VIN#.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
These are typical locations on a trailer. Funny, on a motor vehicle, there about a half dozen locations to find the VIN other than the usual place you look. Guess does not apply to trailers.

• On a metal plate near the tongue
  • Near an axle on the frame
  • On the inside or underside of the frame near the front

On mine, it is stamped into the top of the tongue. Not a FR product though.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:09 PM   #35
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Quote:
The unit has changed hands several times, it is my understanding it has changed hands several times in the park. They did not require ( the park ) to see the title. But now with policy's changing I now need to have a title for the unit, but unable to locate the Vin for the unit. Because of the trailer being 1999 the sticker on side of the unit is now faded and unable to see the vin. Cannot locate the vin plate anywhere on the unit whether it be on the tongue, frame or doors. At my wits end.
Just a thought. Since it has been in a "park", it might not been considered to be a "vehicle" and thus a Vehicle Identification Number was never needed. It might be considered a "house". In my state (yes, the US, but we adjoin 3 Canadian provinces), folks build "trailers" and they contact the State Highway Patrol to be assigned a VIN. After I built the trailer, the local Patrolman inspected the trailer, I was assigned the VIN by the State Patrol and then welded the VIN into the frame of the trailer.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #36

Quote:
Because the trailer had been at the park for several years before I purchased it they never expected to see an ownership. When it was sold prior to me on several occasions it was never transferred to the new buyers name. Now with everything changing. I MUST HAVE AN OWNERSHIP to get insurance. So I cannot register it without the Vin which I cannot find. To my knowledge the previous 2 owners never had an ownership and now I cannot find the person I bought it from
Do you know which park? Have you tried contacting them? Also, I would look on lists of stolen RVs - let's hope you don't find this rig on those lists.
Would the axle serial number be of any help? I expect Forest River keeps that info as well, in case of the need to do a recall. Maybe they can tell you what other serial numbers they can check by (thinking maybe by installed components such as refrigerator, etc.)
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Hello,
Looking for answers. I bought a 1999 Salem 27' FKSS from someone without an ownership. Now need an ownership and cannot locate the VIN, only have the serial #. I checked the entire frame, tongue, doors everywhere. Cannot find it. How can I get an ownership when I only have a serial #? Please help, located in Ontario.

Thanks.
Hopefully yours isn't this one.

There’s not much to go on as to the stolen travel trailer, but security camera images may help with the crook. Elkhart, Indiana, police say a fellow with a Chevy Tahoe with black rims and fender trim made off with a Salem travel trailer. It took place Sunday, May 16, on Wyland Drive at 7 p.m. The driver was wearing a hat, a light-colored face mask, and dark clothing. Got information? Call the Elkhart Police at 574-295-7070 or Detective Runyan, #389, at 574-389-4731. POSTED May 30, 2021
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stolen Salem.png
Views:	32
Size:	856.6 KB
ID:	270852  
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #38
Commercial Member

Chipmucnk, Using the serial number you provided I was able to find your VIN#; which is
4X4TSMC28YB006683. I also sent a screen shot of the Manufacturer info. I got lucky on this one. Hope it helps you out. Was anybody at the Salem plant able to help you out? I am at the Berkshire Diesel Division (diesel pusher coach)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VIN# SMB006683.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	270853  
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincman983 View Post
Chipmucnk, Using the serial number you provided I was able to find your VIN#; which is
4X4TSMC28YB006683. I also sent a screen shot of the Manufacturer info. I got lucky on this one. Hope it helps you out. Was anybody at the Salem plant able to help you out? I am at the Berkshire Diesel Division (diesel pusher coach)
That is awesome, the resources from members on the forum are amazing.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:42 AM   #40

Quote:

I was able to get the vin from the manufacturer, thank you for the support. This forum is amazing and so helpful. The Salem plant came through for me. I am now the proud owner of the TITLE for my trailer.