Old 07-13-2020, 12:43 AM   #1

Six point or 4 point auto level

For those of you that had fifth wheels with 4 point auto level then upgraded to a unit with 6 point level. Was there a huge difference with the coach moving/shaking?

alvinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

Most of us in my camping group have 6 point hydraulic leveling systems. My BIL just bought a Grand Design with 4 point electric levelers.
As far as stability, I don't think it's enough difference to be a selling point. The electric jacks are very slow compared to hydraulic, but seem to get the job done.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #3
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
I've had four-point electric and six-point hydraulic and I'd never have anything but six-point (because of additional stability) and hydraulic (because of ease of use and speed).

But, that's just my opinion.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #4

I have had two trailers with the electric 4 point systems and one trailer with the 6-point hydraulic driven system. When we went shopping for our last unit it had to have a 6-point leveling system installed. I spent many months researching this and I chose to buy an hydraulic driven unit for leveling.

I would past up buying any unit that has a electric driven leveling unit. Why? I have dealt with electrical components in the past VS hydraulic and you have many more issues with the electrics. Most but not all of the electrical driven legs are stabilizers at the rear and can not lift. The front legs are usually paired together and driven by a single motor with a cross shaft that uses a shear bolt to prevent over loading!

Some others trailers use an individual motor at each leg to lower and raise the leg. Thus raising the complexity of trouble shooting if one leg will not operate correctly.

As for the hydraulic driven legs these are simpler to operate, just one pump and valving to raise and lower a leg. The 6 point system will improve stability slightly, especially if one takes care in setting up. I try and keep the hydraulic rams as short as possible by limiting the exposed rod length from the cylinder. I usually place between 3" and 5" of wood/plastic blocks under each leg. This works, less moment of the legs.

The hydraulic driven legs will also lift the trailer tires off of the ground when required, I have done this for changing tires!

Just my $0.02
Old 07-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #5

I have had 4 point electric, 6 point electric, and now 6 point hydraulic. 4 point for lighter 5ers, around 10,000#, 6 point for longer heaver units. Hydraulic is faster and best for the heaviest 5ers. I've had five 5ers with auto level, never a problem and never be without it.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I have had two trailers with the electric 4 point systems and one trailer with the 6-point hydraulic driven system. When we went shopping for our last unit it had to have a 6-point leveling system installed. I spent many months researching this and I chose to buy an hydraulic driven unit for leveling.

I would past up buying any unit that has a electric driven leveling unit. Why? I have dealt with electrical components in the past VS hydraulic and you have many more issues with the electrics. Most but not all of the electrical driven legs are stabilizers at the rear and can not lift. The front legs are usually paired together and driven by a single motor with a cross shaft that uses a shear bolt to prevent over loading!

Some others trailers use an individual motor at each leg to lower and raise the leg. Thus raising the complexity of trouble shooting if one leg will not operate correctly.

As for the hydraulic driven legs these are simpler to operate, just one pump and valving to raise and lower a leg. The 6 point system will improve stability slightly, especially if one takes care in setting up. I try and keep the hydraulic rams as short as possible by limiting the exposed rod length from the cylinder. I usually place between 3" and 5" of wood/plastic blocks under each leg. This works, less moment of the legs.

The hydraulic driven legs will also lift the trailer tires off of the ground when required, I have done this for changing tires!

Just my $0.02
I believe you are confusing "Elect Stabilizers with Elect 4 Point Levelers",World of Difference in the two! Elect Stabilizers will BEND/Break but Elect Levelers will LIFT units completely off the surface and No damage to jacks! Youroo!!
Old 07-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #7

More jacks on the ground is always better. That's a given, doesn't matter if hydraulic or electric either, the more the merrier.

One word of caution on the hydraulic ones for those who never used them. They are powerful enough to lift the wheels completely off as you know, so make sure your trailer is as close to level before engaging auto level so you don't wind up kicking the chocks loose and causing the trailer to roll and damage the jacks. Unless you have a remote app so you can walk around watching, you may not know it until it moves, and by then it may be too late.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
More jacks on the ground is always better. That's a given, doesn't matter if hydraulic or electric either, the more the merrier.

One word of caution on the hydraulic ones for those who never used them. They are powerful enough to lift the wheels completely off as you know, so make sure your trailer is as close to level before engaging auto level so you don't wind up kicking the chocks loose and causing the trailer to roll and damage the jacks. Unless you have a remote app so you can walk around watching, you may not know it until it moves, and by then it may be too late.
Been using hydraulic 6point leveling system for 9 years in all kinds of spots, level/unlevel.
In auto level it has never lifted both sides tires off the ground simultaneously. It has on many occasions lifted one side off the ground. And you know which side that will be by using the control panel lights and your eyes.
So make sure the side on the ground has the chocks if you don't automatically chock both sides like you should before you unhook from your TV.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #9

Interesting reading. We have a 4 point electric on our Grand Design 5er. Once I'm unhitched I bring the unit back down close to level, then use the auto level function. It takes maybe 2 to 3 minutes to do its job. Is that considered a long time?
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #10

I was watching one of the RV YTubers who full time, and they had shown how, accidentally, it is possible to have the trailer move and possibly damage the jacks. Their trailer was on a site that sloped down at the front and off a bit on one side. They didn't plank the low side before leveling, and it lifted the one side enough to make the chocks useless and put enough forward force that the front jack started to bend.

Just giving a PSA to those who never used this system that there are situations where adding a plank on one side may be required prior to activating to prevent slippage.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #11

Nothing wrong with the electric system, I have had both also I installed a hydraulic system on my Rockwood, I was at the Frog rally, I bought the 6 point, but when I went to the factory to have it installed they installed the 4 pt. I said why, they said if your trailer is not over 32’ long the 6 system would fight each other, so I saved some money and for 5 years I never had a problem. It all depends on the unit. I know have a big foot 4 pt on my 32’ M/H no problems at all great system.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Nothing wrong with the electric system, I have had both also I installed a hydraulic system on my Rockwood, I was at the Frog rally, I bought the 6 point, but when I went to the factory to have it installed they installed the 4 pt. I said why, they said if your trailer is not over 32 long the 6 system would fight each other, so I saved some money and for 5 years I never had a problem. It all depends on the unit. I know have a big foot 4 pt on my 32 M/H no problems at all great system.
Interesting, mine is 42' with a 4 point. Could explain the front end wiggle.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post

Good point!
Old 07-13-2020, 09:42 PM   #14

To get 6 point leveling, they are normally available in the upper middle to higher end units. 4 point was standard on most lower to lower middle units. I haven't noticed size made a difference. For example the Sabre 38dbq has 4 point electric but if I decided to upgrade and get the Cardinal 383bhle then that is a 6 point hydraulic system. Basically the same floorplan but a lot nicer and of course more expensive.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:17 AM   #15

Our unit has 5 point system by Lippert! Ours is a 38' TT so I dont know how price figures into the installation of what unit? I do know our Frame is "Made in the USA" and is a REAL I Beam not a Weldment of 3 pieces of bar steel! Youroo!!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Our unit has 5 point system by Lippert! Ours is a 38' TT so I dont know how price figures into the installation of what unit? I do know our Frame is "Made in the USA" and is a REAL I Beam not a Weldment of 3 pieces of bar steel! Youroo!!
Auto level on a TT is pretty high class lol..it's very rare I have seen or even read about them. Good for you.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I believe you are confusing "Elect Stabilizers with Elect 4 Point Levelers",World of Difference in the two! Elect Stabilizers will BEND/Break but Elect Levelers will LIFT units completely off the surface and No damage to jacks! Youroo!!
NO, I did not want to mention brands in my first post but the JAYCO high end 5er's use electric driven jacks at the four corners.