Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #1

Slideout awnings & cold temps

We have our 5vr sitting in the drive and hopefully the 2nd week in March we are headed to Myrtle Beach, SC. The question I have, after a cold and snowy winter do I have to be concerned about extending the slideout, to get at the Refrig, to load for the trip? ( Our unit is an 8280WS ) Will the weather seals ect be ok after sitting in the cold?
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I always have the same thought. We head south the end of January, so we are loading during the coldest part of the year. Vinyl is very stiff and can crack easily. Just go slow when you open and close it if the temps are much below freezing.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #3

We live in Minnesota and head out each year for the winter in January. We usually need to drive a few days until we get into some warmer weather even to use our RV. Because of our extreme cold we do not open our slides or summerize the rig until than. Not sure it's the right thing to do, but we have not wanted to take a chance.

Just hooking an loading up in the cold is a job.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #4

I am thinking of using our 12 volt cooler, to get us started, and when we get to a warmer area we will start the camper Refrig.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

IMHO I would be real hesitant to open a slide in very cold temps as it is possible the seal could frozen and stuck to the side of the trailer, thus you may cause damage to it opening the slide unless of course you took the time to use silicone spray on the seals as part of your winterizing (I do the door seals on my truck and all the seals on the RV as part of my winterizing). I would consider driving to warmer temps and allowing it to thaw 1st.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, awning