Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
You might have better luck contacting the manufacture of the rim for the info your looking for. Later RJD
Old 07-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Actually, YES. I have an inquiry right now into Forest River to see if the wheels that came with my camper will support a 110 PSI loading. I want to use G rated tires when I have to replace the Maxxis 8008s I have right now and want to insure the wheels will hold that pressure.

You should do the same!
You may find a load rating stamped on the wheel. Either in the bead area near the stem or on the back near the mounting flange.

If there are limitations as to max load/pressure, this is where you'll find it. Otherwise the wheel, especially chassis maker OEM wheels, will handle pretty much anything you can "reasonably" mount on them.

Modern truck wheels are not subject to the same problems as those of old that were constructed in multiple pieces that often blew off and killed whoever was nearby.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #63
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

More popcorn & beer!!

This kinda goes back 20 years ago when Firestone had blow outs and rollovers on Ford Explorers. Ford said to run the tires at 26 psi which gave it a soft ride and Firestone said 35 psi for the tires. Each pointed the finger at each other to blame the problem for the rollovers. So who was right?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:53 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
More popcorn & beer!!

This kinda goes back 20 years ago when Firestone had blow outs and rollovers on Ford Explorers. Ford said to run the tires at 26 psi which gave it a soft ride and Firestone said 35 psi for the tires. Each pointed the finger at each other to blame the problem for the rollovers. So who was right?
The vehicle manufacturer!
Old 07-31-2017, 06:12 AM   #65
"On the road again"

80 PSI in my Goodyear Endurance. Pressure checked before each hookup.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #66

I would run with the recommended PSI for D rated tires. 65 PSI.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:38 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
That's OK as long as you don't use less inflation pressure than recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

In the trucking industry, inflating to the load carried is a common practice. Their regulations support that method. Their tires are designed to be operated that way.

RV trailer tires - any design - have a track record of early failures when operated close to their maximum load capacity or operating without any load capacity reserves.

Very few RV trailer owners have access to scales that can weigh each tire positions actual load. Truckers load-up, weigh each tire position, inflate to the highest position and hit the road. They do that with every load. I cannot foresee a RV trailer owner doing that.

NOTES: Trucker tire regulations are not applicable with the regulations used to inflate RV trailer tires.

Because a RV trailer manufacturer or the end user decides to use low platform trailer tires on their RV trailer does not void the fact that they are fitted to the trailer using FMVSS standards.

We do not weigh each tire position, we weigh each axle, air pressure stays at 105 psi in my semi tires year round
jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Very few RV trailer owners have access to scales that can weigh each tire positions actual load.
Unless you have a torsion axle, a tandem axle with leaf springs and an equilizer in between will have the exact same weight on each axle. That's the whole point of the equalizer. I do agree that from left to right hand side could be different.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 PM   #69

As a tire installer what do you want me to do this situation which I encounter almost weekly during the summer camping season. Your trailer comes with LR C or D You have to replace a single tire. The cheapest tire that we stock is a LR E. LR C is 50 psi LR E is 80 psi. Does it make sense to run 3 tires at 50 and 1 at 80. I do not think so, so what I do is reduce the LR E to 65 psi. No disrespect meant, but honestly most customers do not seem to worry about the difference in LR, they just want to get a tire as reasonably priced as possible and be on their way.
ofishlbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:32 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofishlbusiness View Post
As a tire installer what do you want me to do this situation which I encounter almost weekly during the summer camping season. Your trailer comes with LR C or D You have to replace a single tire. The cheapest tire that we stock is a LR E. LR C is 50 psi LR E is 80 psi. Does it make sense to run 3 tires at 50 and 1 at 80. I do not think so, so what I do is reduce the LR E to 65 psi. No disrespect meant, but honestly most customers do not seem to worry about the difference in LR, they just want to get a tire as reasonably priced as possible and be on their way.
That may very well be true as an emergency short term fix to get the customer back on the road. But I would not want to run full time on a set of non matching tires. All of the trailer tires should match.
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerky View Post
We do not weigh each tire position, we weigh each axle, air pressure stays at 105 psi in my semi tires year round
The following quote is from 49 CFR 393.73: "No motor vehicle shall be operated on a tire which has a cold inflation pressure less than that specified for the load being carried."

IMO that would require each tire position to have a certified weight.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofishlbusiness View Post
Tire sizes ST225/75R15C and ST225/75R15E use the same load inflation chart. At 50 PSI they provide identical load capacities. You do not have to inflate the LRE above 50 PSI. All it has to do is provide the load capacity of the original tires on the tire placard.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #73

Quote:
The following quote is from 49 CFR 393.73: "No motor vehicle shall be operated on a tire which has a cold inflation pressure less than that specified for the load being carried."

IMO that would require each tire position to have a certified weight.

So at 5675 pounds per tire times 8 is 45400 for that axle group, you can only weigh 34,000 on any axle group. Me thinks 105 psi is gonna cover any specified load
jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerky View Post
So at 5675 pounds per tire times 8 is 45400 for that axle group, you can only weigh 34,000 on any axle group. Me thinks 105 psi is gonna cover any specified load
If the tire inspector agrees with you, you're good to go.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #75
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
If the tire inspector agrees with you, you're good to go.

Point is we don't change our pressures empty or loaded

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
Point is we don't change our pressures empty or loaded
Who is the "we" you're referencing? Jerky indicated he was using trucking regulations. They are not applicable for RV trailer tires. Our RV trailer (I'm a RV trailer owner) tires are fitted in accordance with FMVSS standards and maintained in accordance with industry standards for such fitments.

The industry that designed and manufactured your trailer probably doesn't give a hoot what you use for replacement tires. They have followed all the rules and fitted your trailer with tires that will meet the minimum government requirements. They have certified those fitments and made mandatory statements in the vehicle owner's manual about replacements. It is the trailer owner's responsibility to maintain their trailer in a safe for the road condition.

These RV forum threads about trailer tires have so much "he said, she said" stuff it's hard to get a firm answer from anyone. I study the rules, regulations and tire industry standards. I post how things are supposed to work. If you doubt anything I say, ask for a reference, I have hundreds of them. In fact, if one reads the following reference it will answer most questions.

http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...ete-manual.pdf
Old 08-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #77

Quote:
Tire sizes ST225/75R15C and ST225/75R15E use the same load inflation chart. At 50 PSI they provide identical load capacities. You do not have to inflate the LRE above 50 PSI. All it has to do is provide the load capacity of the original tires on the tire placard.
That's exactly what tirerack.com says. I run my Endurance LR D tires 5 psi over the camper's sticker (for LR C tires) at 55 psi for an extra margin. However; I see no need to run them up to 65 psi just for the sake of it. Larry G.
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #78
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Who is the "we" you're referencing? Jerky indicated he was using trucking regulations. They are not applicable for RV trailer tires. Our RV trailer (I'm a RV trailer owner) tires are fitted in accordance with FMVSS standards and maintained in accordance with industry standards for such fitments.

The industry that designed and manufactured your trailer probably doesn't give a hoot what you use for replacement tires. They have followed all the rules and fitted your trailer with tires that will meet the minimum government requirements. They have certified those fitments and made mandatory statements in the vehicle owner's manual about replacements. It is the trailer owner's responsibility to maintain their trailer in a safe for the road condition.

These RV forum threads about trailer tires have so much "he said, she said" stuff it's hard to get a firm answer from anyone. I study the rules, regulations and tire industry standards. I post how things are supposed to work. If you doubt anything I say, ask for a reference, I have hundreds of them. In fact, if one reads the following reference it will answer most questions.

http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...ete-manual.pdf

Oh, I'm sorry. 30 year truck driver here.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:22 AM   #79

Now that I got my 8 page thesis for my Masters on tire pressure and load limits... here is a real concern, TIRE CONDITION. About 2 years ago I looked at my tires and said 1 more trip. ABOUT 50 miles out I felt a thump. Out my left mirror it looked like a NASCAR crash. Lots of damage. Fender, brake wires, TIRE cords wiped out my paint and put a hole through the floor. No more (1 MORE TIME).
Ttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttramp View Post
Now that I got my 8 page thesis for my Masters on tire pressure and load limits... here is a real concern, TIRE CONDITION. About 2 years ago I looked at my tires and said 1 more trip. ABOUT 50 miles out I felt a thump. Out my left mirror it looked like a NASCAR crash. Lots of damage. Fender, brake wires, TIRE cords wiped out my paint and put a hole through the floor. No more (1 MORE TIME).
And this is exactly why we're getting new tires next week. At the five year mark with the OEM tires, which still look amazing, but five years is long enough.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote