Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #1

Soft floor 5th wheel

I have a Heritage Glen 5th wheel. 2016 337
The area in front of the door has a soft spot about 18" around. It is about a foot from the door. It is also the same spot you hit when you come down the stairs. It is getting much worse by the day. My mother in law is coming and I do not want any of us to fall through. I have heard of the delam/squished foam problem and not sure this is the problem. I am going to climb in the storage area to look for leaks but this part of the floor is to far back to get to without taking off the covering on the underbelly. Anyone have a cut through of how the floor is built or any other advice?
1984fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #2

Above the alum frame work and foam is a layer of wood, usually glued flakes (cbf). Locate good edge an cut out to good material. Mfg new insert same thickness as original. Glue down carpet or flooring to suit, you must stop source of water or it will get worse
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #3

Searched

I took out the panel in the storage area that hides the plumbing etc and could find no sign of a leak or other water damage. The only other spot would be the kitchen sink and I can find no sign of a leak there either.
I would hate to cut my floor from the top. I wonder if I could get at it from the bottom. Drill a hole in it and pump some kind of Great Stuff foam or similar to fill in the gap from the (what seems to be) messed up Styrofoam? However, ti almost looks like the bottom undercarriage cover is riveted on is most places.
1984fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Sounds like the prefect reason for your mother in law to stay home. 🤣
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Sounds like the prefect reason for your mother in law to stay home. ��
ouch

hey maybe she does the cooking and the dishes? Babysits the grand kids?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #6

I had somewhat similar issue and found that I had a leak(s) around the exterior door and window frames, is spite of annual caulking.
In my case, the pink wool insulation in the floor was wet and could not dry out, hence the premature wood rot.
I had to pull the floor and replace the area.
While I was at it, I replaced the "wool" with pink Styrofoam.
Your mileage may differ.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #7

Check behind awning arms where attached to the rig. Our awning arms where they attached and had one inch holes for the wiring for the awning and lights and the holes allowed water to come into the rig and under the cabinet and floor by the front door. Plugged the holes and no more leaks. rig is still too new to see if the floor will show damage as of yet. Remove the plastic cover and see if the holes were filled in after the wires were run. FR stated they are supposed to cover them with caulk but were having trouble with the line folks remembering to do so.
Katydid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, floor, wheel