Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #1

Sonoma

Any Sonoma owners out there? I don't see Sonoma in the travel trailer sub-forum and I'm hoping that Sonoma will be added soon!
2013 Toyota Tundra DC Limited- 4x4, 5.7L, Factory Tow Package, Factory Deck Rail System, Factory Cargo Divider, Trac-Rac G2 Sliding Rack System, Bak Revolver X Rolling Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Grand Aero Towing Mirrors, Andersen "No Sway" WDH.

2018 Sonoma 240 BHS: Fourth TT And Worst Quality So Far.
Campforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #2

Just curious what advantage would a sub forum do for you? It has been my experience that reading about all the different types and transferring that knowledge to my specific unit has been way more help then the specific forum, but thats jus me.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #3

For the same reason that almost every other Forest River line is in a sub-forum. There would not be sub-forums, if it wasn't beneficial to most members.
2013 Toyota Tundra DC Limited- 4x4, 5.7L, Factory Tow Package, Factory Deck Rail System, Factory Cargo Divider, Trac-Rac G2 Sliding Rack System, Bak Revolver X Rolling Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Grand Aero Towing Mirrors, Andersen "No Sway" WDH.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #4

[QUOTE=Campforlife;1564033]For the same reason that almost every other Forest River line is in a sub-forum. There would not be sub-forums, if it wasn't beneficial to most members.[/QUOTE

Are you speaking for the OP, most members or yourself or is that just your opinion?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 07-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
Site Team

[QUOTE=SeaDog;1564541]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campforlife View Post
For the same reason that almost every other Forest River line is in a sub-forum. There would not be sub-forums, if it wasn't beneficial to most members.[/QUOTE

Are you speaking for the OP, most members or yourself or is that just your opinion?
SeaDog, Campforlife IS the OP.

Many members prefer to communicate with others that own the same brand/model that they do.

I know many times, members post useless info that have nothing to do with the brand, model or even type of RV that the OP has.

An example would be a popup owners asking about help with their bag awning and someone with a Class A starts talking about checking the awning motor.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #6

boy guess I screwed up must have been in a fog this morning
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 07-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #7

Smile

[QUOTE=bikendan;1564836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
SeaDog, Campforlife IS the OP.

Many members prefer to communicate with others that own the same brand/model that they do.

I know many times, members post useless info that have nothing to do with the brand, model or even type of RV that the OP has.

An example would be a popup owners asking about help with their bag awning and someone with a Class A starts talking about checking the awning motor.
Thank you for clearing this up for me, bikendan. This is the exact reason why I would like to see a sub-forum for the Sonoma.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
Site Team

I believe right now, there are only a handful of Sonoma owners here, as they are only sold in the West.

By the way I grew up in Sonoma and Sonoma County.
Unfortunately we couldn't find a Sonoma floorplan that we liked and that we could tow.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #9

We would also love to see a sub group. We just purchased a 2018 Sonoma 240 rks. We won't be able to pick it up for a few weeks now as this is the busy season but we are very excited. The forum is always the first place I look when we have a question. Love it!
vsmitty30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I believe right now, there are only a handful of Sonoma owners here, as they are only sold in the West.

By the way I grew up in Sonoma and Sonoma County.
Unfortunately we couldn't find a Sonoma floorplan that we liked and that we could tow.
Sonoma is a beautiful area and Sonoma trailers are popular in my area. However, I agree, floor plan and towing ability are very important aspects when choosing a travel trailer. I'm glad you found another trailer that fit your needs.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmitty30 View Post
We would also love to see a sub group. We just purchased a 2018 Sonoma 240 rks. We won't be able to pick it up for a few weeks now as this is the busy season but we are very excited. The forum is always the first place I look when we have a question. Love it!
Congratulations. It looks like we're not alone. I won't be picking mine up before the first week of August, as my dealer is really busy as well. You made a good decision in buying a 2018 model, as they now come with heavier axles and a higher GVWR.

One of the deciding factors for me, was the fact that they are built in Hemet, CA, which is only an hour away from me. This is a big plus, if the factory ever needs to perform any work on it. Also, I saved the expensive delivery fees that are associated with units built in Indiana. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif

Old 07-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #12

We were also impressed with the heavier axle as well as the PVC roof. We did a ton of research and kept going back to the Sonoma for that reason. Can't wait to pick it up and make it ours. Happy Camping!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #13

Yes, the Sonoma does have a lot of nice standard features and options. The large bathroom with glass shower door is a big plus, as well. Did you get the one-piece fiberglass gel coat front cap?

Old 07-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #14

Yes, absolutely, that was a the other option that we kept going back to. Love the larger refrigerator as well.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes, absolutely, that was a the other option that we kept going back to. Love the larger refrigerator as well.
Good choice. The 8 cubic foot refrigerator will be a nice bonus, plus the LG solid surface counter tops. I see we both own Toyota Tundras, as well. This is my third Tundra and it's been fantastic.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #16

vsmitty30- What brand of weight distribution hitch are you planning to install on your Sonoma? What size spring bars? My dealer recommends the Andersen hitch, however, they need to verify if it will fit the Sonoma, as most people use the friction type WDH. I know there are plenty of threads discussing WDH but I'm just curious what hitch you plan on using.

Thank you

Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #17

The hitch was part of our deal so we're assuming it's the standard hitch and the bars are the 10,000,00 lb. bars. We'll let you know when we find out for sure. We should be hearing from them in the next few days to let us know when our service date is. Our son is borrowing the truck this weekend so hopefully not then. lol, If so, I guess we'll run up and trade vehicles, he needs the truck to haul the wood for his camping trip.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #18

I too would like to see a Sonoma sub-forum as I am planning on purchasing one soon.

I've looked at a lot of other layouts, but I think the 240rbk is right for me. I remember talking to the factory rep at the RV show, and he showed us many features that supposedly make the sonoma a better built trailer. He also mentioned that I can get dual water tanks which for dry camping would be awesome!

I have read on the forums, but is the fiberglass cap worth the extra $1,000? I can see it being more durable, but I worry about de-lamination vs the aluminum cap.
AKMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #19

Quote:
The hitch was part of our deal so we're assuming it's the standard hitch and the bars are the 10,000,00 lb. bars. We'll let you know when we find out for sure. We should be hearing from them in the next few days to let us know when our service date is. Our son is borrowing the truck this weekend so hopefully not then. lol, If so, I guess we'll run up and trade vehicles, he needs the truck to haul the wood for his camping trip.
Ok, thank you. I would imagine your spring bars would be between 1,000 and 1,500 lb. My dealer ordered the Andersen hitch and will be installing it on my delivery day. It is a unique system that uses chains for weight distribution and sway control. I'm excited!

Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
I too would like to see a Sonoma sub-forum as I am planning on purchasing one soon.

I've looked at a lot of other layouts, but I think the 240rbk is right for me. I remember talking to the factory rep at the RV show, and he showed us many features that supposedly make the sonoma a better built trailer. He also mentioned that I can get dual water tanks which for dry camping would be awesome!

I have read on the forums, but is the fiberglass cap worth the extra $1,000? I can see it being more durable, but I worry about de-lamination vs the aluminum cap.
It's good to see another soon-to-be Sonoma owner. Which dual water tanks is the rep talking about; fresh, black or gray?

IMHO, the fiberglass front cap is worth the extra $1,000. It is a one piece, gel coated cap that will not delaminate. You do need to keep it protected or it can fade if left out in the sun for extended periods. I think it really looks sharp on the 2018 Sonoma.