Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Storage

While storing the camper, should I leave it plugged in and if yes, should I turn off the inverter? Thanks for your help!
Curtiss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #2

I store mine in my driveway year round when not in use, and I ALWAYS leave it plugged in. I use the refrigerator all the time........and the icemaker.

My inverter......doesn't matter if you leave it on or off. It will kick on if needed and kick off if not. Many leave theirs own in case of loss of shore power. I don't, I turn mine off manually when on shore power. I couldn't actually tell you why. But my refrigerator will stay cold just fine for a day or two if door not opened, even without power.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

Great. Thanks, this is our first camper. I wasn't sure if running the inverter for a couple months would hurt it or if having the inverter off would be bad on the batteries. Thanks again
Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtiss7 View Post
Great. Thanks, this is our first camper. I wasn't sure if running the inverter for a couple months would hurt it or if having the inverter off would be bad on the batteries. Thanks again
Remember...
CONverter creates 12v from 120v and charges battery.(ies)
INverter creates 120v from the 12v (battery(ies)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Remember...
CONverter creates 12v from 120v and charges battery.(ies)
INverter creates 120v from the 12v (battery(ies)
Thanks, so if it is manually powered off, what does that do to the charging of the batteries. If manually switched will the batteries just keep getting charged and not shut off when fully charged like a trickle charger would do.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks, so if it is manually powered off, what does that do to the charging of the batteries. If manually switched will the batteries just keep getting charged and not shut off when fully charged like a trickle charger would do.
The CONVERTER charges the batteries, not the INVERTER. I leave my unit plugged in to shore power for the refrigerator, but it also keeps the battery charged because that also engages the CONVERTER (the battery charger). I turn off the INVERTER when on shore power (But don't have to).

Hope that helps. It confused me too for a long time.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thanks, so if it is manually powered off, what does that do to the charging of the batteries.
Nothing. The INverter does NOT charge the battery(ies) the CONverter does this. (separate item)

Quote:
If manually switched will the batteries just keep getting charged
No, see above.

Quote:
and not shut off when fully charged like a trickle charger would do.
The CONverter is a multi stage charger and will go into 'trickle charge' when necessary, even when shore power is connected 24/7.

Now the caveat... there are some INverters that ALSO charge batteries but this set-up is uncommon and not usually installed this way from the factory. I only say that to rule out those instances where it can be done differently.
In reality, we have NO CLUE how your unit is wired. We are only referencing typical installations with our advice.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Nothing. The INverter does NOT charge the battery(ies) the CONverter does this. (separate item)

No, see above.

The CONverter is a multi stage charger and will go into 'trickle charge' when necessary, even when shore power is connected 24/7.

Now the caveat... there are some INverters that ALSO charge batteries but this set-up is uncommon and not usually installed this way from the factory. I only say that to rule out those instances where it can be done differently.
In reality, we have NO CLUE how your unit is wired. We are only referencing typical installations with our advice.
Thanks again! Appreciate it
Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thanks again! Appreciate it
No problem.

Couple suggestions...

First, WELCOME!
I see you have just a few posts.
There are a LOT of good contributors here.

Second, fill out a signature line so your unit is referenced within each post.
Those using the web site can then see your signature and what kind of rig you have. It often helps us help you.

Third, when asking for advice, always try to post as much information as possible (including make/model numbers) of the appliance/system you are asking about. Those looking at your posts using a mobile app can't see the signature line so posting as much info as possible (within the post) helps us when we are using the mobile app to visit this forum.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #10

Will do. Thanks! Bring on summer!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:

I left my last trailer plugged in for close to 22 years, only disconnected when on the road. Went through two sets of batteries the entire time.

Check water in batteries regularly and use only distilled water to fill to the proper level. A lot of electrical devices prefer being left on continuously rather than being subjected to the surge of current when plugged in cold.

Converters draw very little current when not charging batteries or powering lights so you really don't save money by turning off.

Just watch the battery water levels, checking monthly to start and after learning how much water they use, adjust schedule accordingly.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Curtiss, it would also help if you listed year, make and model you have, in your profile.

As was said, you're mixing up INverters with CONverters.
But if we knew what RV you own, we might know if it also has an inverter.

All RVs have converters but few have inverters.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage