Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Storage and Tires

Going to put my 5er in storage early this year do health reasons. Went to the RV dealer to pickup RV anti-freeze and fitting to blow out the pipes. I use 30 psi to blow the pipes first then add the RV anti-freeze, just my way doing it I know both are not required. This is the first year I had Auto Level and they are electric not hydraulic. The guy RV dealership said that he would take most of the weight off the tires using the Auto Level feature since the most damage is caused to tires is during long periods in storage. Then once a month he would raise one side using auto level and spin tires 90 degrees and set back down. I have called Lippert about auto level in camps site lifting one side of the wheels off the ground a couple inches and they said it was fine they are designed to do that. Does that sound like plan or not worth it?

I know some people raise tire pressure during storage by 25% (be sure you rims can handle the add pressure) and that was a trick used when storing classic cars for long periods of time. Matter a fact it was tip from Jay Leno. This is suppose to help flat spots in the tires.
I do use tire covers also.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
H2oski

I cant speak n weather to lift or not to lift and rotate the tires. This is right out of the Goodyear Recreational Vehicle Tire and Care Guide.

Storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.
• Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
• Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity.
• Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have accumulated from the road.
• Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting, but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level.

Hope this helps.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Got a PM - These are not the little scissor jacks that were on my last 5er. Scissor jacks will not take the weight of lifting you 5er and should not be used to take weight off your tires.

The rear auto level jacks work the same as the one on the front jacks on your 5er and are rated to 4500 lbs each lift. Auto level jacks are approved by the frame makers.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tire, tires