Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2024, 05:59 AM   #1

Surveyor 240BHLE vs Apex 245BHS

First time buyer of an RV and torn between several models, these two seem to be the best for our needs but I would consider smaller trailers too. The Rockwood 2509s or Flagstaff 25BRDS seemed perfect but are a little too heavy.

Looking for a bunkhouse model with a dry weight max of just over 5,500. I estimate that the total gear including propane and batteries will be roughly 1000 pounds max. Would like the total weight to be in the 6500 pound range or lower and tongue weight to be less than 900 pounds, again with lower being better.

Solar is a plus and I plan to swap out / add some of the solar equipment and add more panels and lithium batteries in the future.

Surveyor - I like the rear access door and fold up bottom bunk. I also like the idea of the Murphy bed for more seating but a little concerned about the comfort of the Murphy bed and what can be done to improve it if it’s an issue. I also like the fact that the slide out is a rack and pinion. I also like that it has a hitch for bike rack and has the ladder mount etc..

Apex- the weight is a little lighter which is good. No rear door. Full bed which may be better than Murphy depending on the Murphy’s comfort. Was told that the roof build quality may be a little better on the Apex but not sure.

The bottom line is that these two seem to fit all our needs with each having some pros/cons so it probably comes down to build quality and little features that well base our decision on.

Anyone research these models and have any tips on which they prefer? Quality differences? Any tips would be appreciated as I’m probably going to need to drive pretty far to check them out in-person.
Mikestaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:51 AM   #2

Took us two years to make a decision.

Your style of camping is important. Going to the lake three times a year is different than going 5,000 miles out west. These rvís are similar.

We tend to be vagabonds and flexibility was important to us. We wanted 3 plus season ability. Heated tanks and more insulation. Ability to boondock. Luxury. Tanks big enough for a week. We take long trips.

The solar as you suspect is minimal. The free battery is a joke. The panel on its best day can produce 50 ah. You will use nearly double that.

I worried about floors. The wall structure. Most rvís come with poor tires. Big air conditioners is a good plan if you plan on visiting down south of Iowa in the summer.

30 amp service is ok, but you need to learn the meaning of load shedding. Our rv is 50amp which is 100 amps.

Shop hard. Look at everything. Good luck. Ask questions.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:56 AM   #3

I don't know the Apex but I'd have to weight the slide design and backdoor, heavily.

There'd have to be a real reason.

The rack and pinion slide is bullet proof, compared to the others and the back door, can turn a BH model, into a toyhailer lite, for bikes, kayaks etc.

Although, if you can't get the Murphy bed to be comfy enough, that would be a real reason.

There might be a thread or 2 about what others have done about them.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:02 AM   #4

Thanks. Some more information on us.. I think we will probably camp more at place without hookups than with. Not really into camping right next to people. We will not spend much time at all in the camper except for sleeping. I have a predator 3500 generator so thinking I could put an extra two solar panels on the roof and maybe 400ah lithium batteries so that we could run most things, except AC, off the batteries and then use the generator to top off batteries and use the AC. I definitely want 3 season package which both seem to have. Anyone aware of any major benefits between one and the other as far as construction and quality. I don’t mind fixing electric and minor plumbing stuff but do not want to spend my time doing major repairs like replacing axles and such.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:08 AM   #5

Went with the Surveyor. Overall build quality quality seems better. The schwintek slide on the Apex was a deal breaker too. When we went to see the Apex, the slide got jammed on the first try.

Tags
surveyor