Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
nmdcporter

Tail Light failure

Hello,

I have a question. I have a 2018 Flagstaff travel trailer 27RLWS. My left LED tail light is acting up. The turn signal, Brake and running light are working but very dim. I thought it was going to be the ground wire but I took connector off and replaced it with no success. I check the voltage and getting 13.6 V no issues. My right rear tail light and all other lights are fine on the rig. I'm thinking I need to replace the tail light. Does anyone no where I can get one or a part number. I've called and looked but came up empty. Thanks

NMdcporter
nmdcporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #2

Have you tried replacing the bulb?
JWood422 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
Have you tried replacing the bulb?
OP reported it’s an LED unit. There isn’t any bulbs.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdcporter View Post
Hello,

I have a question. I have a 2018 Flagstaff travel trailer 27RLWS. My left LED tail light is acting up. The turn signal, Brake and running light are working but very dim. I thought it was going to be the ground wire but I took connector off and replaced it with no success. I check the voltage and getting 13.6 V no issues. My right rear tail light and all other lights are fine on the rig. I'm thinking I need to replace the tail light. Does anyone no where I can get one or a part number. I've called and looked but came up empty. Thanks

NMdcporter
Can you physically move the working light unit to the trouble side to see if your theory works?

Here’s some contact information for part numbers you may be looking for.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/conta...gstaff-classic

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
OP reported it’s an LED unit. There isn’t any bulbs.
My bad.
JWood422 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #6
nmdcporter

As someone said LED unit completely sealed.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:36 PM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Can you remove the tail light assembly without too much hassle and connect to a separate 12v power source to determine if it's the light or the wiring?
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
nmdcporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Can you remove the tail light assembly without too much hassle and connect to a separate 12v power source to determine if it's the light or the wiring?
Might be able try this after I move by making some jumper wires and connect to truck. Current location it isn't doable due to back in site. But I'm getting 13.6 vdc at the tail light so I couldmake a ground wire and try.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:59 AM   #9
nmdcporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Removing is easy but wires are crimped in connectors, being on the road without the correct tools makes it a little difficult.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:04 AM   #10
nmdcporter

Removing is easy but wires are connected using crimped wire nuts, being on the road without the correct tools makes it a little difficult to complete.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:44 AM   #11
Site Team

Connect (+) side of volt meter to the ground side of the light module as close to the actual module as possible. Connect the (-) side of the voltmeter to a GOOD gnd and measure the voltage. If the value is not very close to zero, you have a bad ground connection.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have the same failure on the passenger side. License plate light, turn, and stop all work. tail light does not.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #13

I have LED bulbs in a conventional light housing -- they're replaceable. And common.

The license plate light is usually just bleed out from the tail light, not a separate bulb or LED, so if the tail lights work the license plate light should too. Same electrical circuit and wire. Turn signals and brake lights are separate normally the same circuit. Note the signal interrupts the brake light.

In the case of a sealed LED housing the only convenient way is to replace the entire unit. Units with bulbs or LEDs replacing bulbs are easy. When that's done note LEDs are polarity sensitive. Bulb in backwards won't light.

-- Chuck
Old 02-09-2021, 03:59 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Hello,

NMdcporter

nmdcporter,

We would be happy to provide assistance with your Flagstaff's tail light. Please contact Rayna Dimitroff in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...84830892746887.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #15
nmdcporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
nmdcporter,

We would be happy to provide assistance with your Flagstaff's tail light. Please contact Rayna Dimitroff in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...84830892746887.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
Thanks for the offer, it was the LED tail light. Replaced and all good.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #16
nmdcporter

Thanks for the suggestion everyone, it was the LED tail light. Found one at Action RV in Rockport, TX, I replaced and all good. Back on the road.

Nmdcporter
Old 02-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #17
nmdcporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I have the same failure on the passenger side. License plate light, turn, and stop all work. tail light does not.
I replaced the whole tail light and all is good. I would first check ground connection.

NMdcporter
Old 02-18-2021, 09:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Hello,

NMdcporter
I suspect a bad ground. Even though you replaced the connector on the lamp assembly, the wire itself may not be bonded. You can test by temporarily running a jumper from the ground wire on the lamp assembly to the frame of the trailer and then testing the lights. I had the same problem with an enclosed car trailer and ended up having to run some new grounds to the taillamp assemblies.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light