Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #61

Guess I'll get a collapsible to carry in my pickup, fridge roof vent cover was loose (only 2 screws were properly installed at the factory) discovered it while on the road home from a weekend trip accessing the cover was a pain without a ladder. Other than that so far so good.
Paulvibe268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #62

I wanted to post an update regarding my experiences so far with my 268RKS.

After finally getting it home (once all the snow was melted), I noticed that I had black streaks right below one of my rain spouts. It seemed odd since the spout was supposed to keep the rain from running down the wall. Well, lo and behold, the spout was kind of mangled and it looked like someone had done a half-@ssed job of trying to repair it. There was missing caulk, a cut sealer strip and the spout was angled up so that water was running backwards and flowing down the wall. I posted this in another thread.

I debated about trying to fix it myself but then I found some dings in the gelcoat and a couple of other issues so I took it back to the dealer (50 miles each way). I had a planned trip upcoming so I made sure they knew I needed it soon. They said "no problem". I called a week later to see where they were at and they were "waiting for FR to approve the work. Don't know when that will be." - sigh. Anyway, they got it done in time and I'm happy with the repairs.

Then, this past Friday, as I'm getting ready to leave on our first trip, I noticed that the wheels looked like they were not aligned. Not ever having had a dual axle trailer, I didn't know if it was an illusion, or normal, or what but i poked my head under the trailer to see what I could see.

Whoops. As you can see in the picture, the "shackle" (I later found out it was called), had broken away from the frame. I'm not sure when this happened but it looked like my trip was canceled. I called the dealer and asked if they could fix it and they said "bring it in and we'll see".

I very nervously towed it back to the dealer and headed to the waiting room. About 45 minutes later, they said "All fixed. Yeah, your shackle broke but we welded it back on and it's fine now." See the second picture.

Umm, guys. Check your shackles!

We ended up towing it straight to the campground which was closer than going home first. We dropped it off and then went home to get all the gear and clothes that we hadn't gotten into the rig when we dashed off to the dealer, and then drove back. Had a great weekend.

We really like the rig. I love the outdoor kitchen. The grill is great and I love just being able to swing it around, hook up the gas, and go. It's just at the edge of the awning so if it's raining, I can stay dry but the smoke won't pile up underneath (much).

The outside sink/counter top is kind of high. I didn't notice it but my wife had trouble cooking eggs in a skillet sitting on top of it. I guess that duty now falls to me...

The inside kitchen is truly spacious. We could both stand at the counter - me making drinks while she got the food ready. Someone on another thread asked if things got bounced around during travel and yes, it does seem to. There are no dividers in the long cabinet running along the side so things can go anywhere. I'm thinking of how to install some dividers there and in some of the other cabinet. Same for the wardrobes. We don't take a lot of hanging clothes so I'm thinking about putting a shelf in each one.

One issue is that when the awning is deployed, you can't hook the entry door to the door holder arm thingy. The door hits the arm of the awning so it only opens a few degrees past 90. Kind of a bad design if you ask me.

We did not have a sewer hookup at the site so we had to dump at a station. Luckily, there was not a crowd so I didn't feel rushed while dumping the front black/gray and the back gray (Grrr).

I also need to re-position the propane tank support as it interferes with the proper positioning of my Equalizer L brackets as discussed earlier in this thread.

All in all, we are happy with the new rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	77388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2118.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	77389  
Old 05-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #63

hmmm.... going out to inspect my spring shackles today! Otherwise, had my maiden voyage this past weekend. Love the trailer , hate the short, rock hard mattress! Going to add a wooden flip down 4" extension to the end of the bed, then slide the mattress down at night and pop in a piece of foam at the head of the bed. That way, my 6'2" frame wont hang off the end of the bed! Added a foam topper for now and its a little better for sleeping....
Old 05-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #64

Yeah, we were just going to go out and look for a full size queen mattress today. I need to extend the bed as well so I'm interested in any ideas you come up with. I hate it when my feet hang off the end of the bed.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #65

Extending queen bed length

Ordered a 4" foam topper. The length was such, my wife cut a section the height of the mattress. We inserted that section into the fitted mattress cover at the head of the bed which would be under the pillows. At 6'2, I now have the length I need and the topper provides a good comfortable sleep.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #66

I replaced the plywood under that bed that folds up for storage with a longer one. Added a carpeted 1x6 at the end to keep the mattress pressed up to the head of the bed. Replaced the mattress with a memory foam one from Amazon for just over $200 and it's awesome. I've yet to have a camper that couldn't accommodate an 80" bed but they insist on installing a 74". Crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 30, 9 01 28 PM.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	77709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 30, 9 01 37 PM.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	77710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 30, 9 02 00 PM.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	77711  
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I replaced the plywood under that bed that folds up for storage with a longer one. Added a carpeted 1x6 at the end to keep the mattress pressed up to the head of the bed. Replaced the mattress with a memory foam one from Amazon for just over $200 and it's awesome. I've yet to have a camper that couldn't accommodate an 80" bed but they insist on installing a 74". Crazy.

Looks great! I just ordered a piece of foam (60" wide X 9"tall by 4" deep) that I am going to install at the head of the bed, in front of the mattress. This will force the mattress down about 4". Just put the sheets over it and pillows on top and you wont know its there. If needed, I will extend the wood base to accommodate. Did the lift shocks for the lid come with the trailer or did you install them? If so, where did you get them/ (size/length and mounting brackets?)
Without them, its a hand slammer!
Old 05-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdreamer View Post
Looks great! I just ordered a piece of foam (60" wide X 9"tall by 4" deep) that I am going to install at the head of the bed, in front of the mattress. This will force the mattress down about 4". Just put the sheets over it and pillows on top and you wont know its there. If needed, I will extend the wood base to accommodate. Did the lift shocks for the lid come with the trailer or did you install them? If so, where did you get them/ (size/length and mounting brackets?)
Without them, its a hand slammer!
Mine came with them. It's pretty heavy even with the lifts, couldn't imagine trying to get under there without them!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #69

FWIW...
I posted a thread here about my WD installation on a Vibe.

"Hensley cub vs Vibe 6504"

Works like a dream, welding was a factor. No room for the typical chain snapper pry bar, to load it...I have to 'over-lift' the entire hitched rig, until I can hook the chain onto the pin. (the van rear wheels are barely on the ground) Lowering the rig settles the load onto the bars. I did it once by hand... Then I put on a 3500# power lift (:

I personally would not consider a normal WD (not that I have any towing experience anyway) with these dumb designed trailers. Very experienced reputable RV dealer was shocked that I had purchased this trailer but we're happy that I had used a Hensley with it as it was the only thing they considered to be suitable for it's inherent headshaking design.
I like the trailer alot and I love it with the Hensley.
I'm sure the pro-pride would work out the same...

I have never towed before nor used any other weight distribution before but I understand and believe in the physics of these projected pivot point hitches... And I would highly recommend one for this type of trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2014 Forest River Vibe 6504 (4400# Lippert axle, AxleTek-10-GG self-adjust? drum brakes, Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75R15-XL-108T) <> 2009 Grand Caravan SXT (4.0L/6spd-62TE), Factory Tow Package, Can-Am RV 'reinforced' OEM ClassIII & 7pin, Michelin Premier A/S 225/65R16-100H) <> Hensley Cub Arrow <> Tekonsha P3 brake controller <> McKesh Mirrors with 8" Convex
Sponge1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #70
Vibe 268RKS

We also found the floor stability a little annoying as well. Based on some research, and plenty of positive recommendations, we just purchased a pair of Extended X-Chalks (made by BAL). We put them on each side (between the wheels) the day we got them, and it stopped about 99% of the bouncing, etc. They were about $110 a piece in our local RV store, but we bought them on Amazon for about $140ish for a pair--seems well worth it.
eastwood320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibe