Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2023, 07:16 PM   #1

Three Grey Tank Drains?

Just picked up our 2022 Aurora 34BHTS and when I did the walk through it has three grey tank valves. There is one in front of the axles, one connected to the black tank just behind the axles, and a third toward the rear of the rig. The camper has a washer/dryer prep in the front, then a kitchen, and a bathroom/shower, and an outdoor kitchen with a sink toward the rear.

I cannot find it anywhere which drains, tanks, drain on which valves. Also no idea how much each tank holds. The total grey tank capacity is 70 gallons. Any ideas? My old 28 footer only had one drain where you drained both the grey and black. This seems like a pain, there are only 5 total drains on the inside of the camper having 3 places to drain them seems excessive?
Aurora Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:32 PM   #2

I don't know the answer to this specific question but if it is brand new, you can do some water tests inside to tell what drains into where. Just go outside and open one at a time until the water comes out. Then repeat for the other drains. Just a thought. I wouldn't even trust the labels on the RV if it even had any. I now mine weren't right.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Team

This is a very simple problem to solve. Get yourself one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39572-C...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Then get a bucket of water and some food coloring. Pour some of the water into one of your drains inside, then go outside and open the grey drains one by one until you see the colored water coming out.

Repeat until you have all the drains labeled.

You can do this on a FHU site or simply drain the liquid into another bucket.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:06 AM   #4

I had a look at a floor plan for your trailer and it does seem excessive for that trailer. I have five handles on mine but it's a much bigger trailer with two bathrooms. I have a grey tank for the front bathroom sink and shower, a black tank for the front toilet, a grey tank for the kitchen sink, a grey for the rear bathroom sink and outdoor kitchen and a black for the rear bathroom toilet. I hope that provides some guidance on what some of yours could be for. Mine does not have a side handle for the fresh water drain, but I wonder if that's a possibility for yours to look into to take into account one of yours?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 TRX4 Cummins
Seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
camaro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:13 AM   #5
Retired Army MSG!

As you mentioned above, with 70 gallon gray water capacity, if you have three gray tanks that means the capacity of each tank is very limited. Is it possible one of the handles that you see is a drain for the fresh water tank? It would not be plumed into the sewer outlet.
lazyjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:37 AM   #6
Site Team

Regarding grey tank handles, the OP said there is “one connected to the black tank just behind the axles” which confused me.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 10:47 AM   #7

It's not the drain to the fresh water tank, its on the other side, plus these are all plumbed for a sewer hose. My wife and I are taking it out for the first time this weekend, I will just have to have her turn the water on inside and see what comes out what. Still seems excessive that five inside drains need three different tanks.

I would imagine the washer/dryer prep has to be part of that front tank and drain. I just hope it doesn't have its own tank, because we don't plan to add a washer and dryer anytime soon.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:56 AM   #8

I have a different Rv but my washer drain has a separate valve that tie into another valve that drains the tank. The washer does not drain directly into a tank.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:01 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Time View Post
It's not the drain to the fresh water tank, its on the other side, plus these are all plumbed for a sewer hose. My wife and I are taking it out for the first time this weekend, I will just have to have her turn the water on inside and see what comes out what. Still seems excessive that five inside drains need three different tanks.

I would imagine the washer/dryer prep has to be part of that front tank and drain. I just hope it doesn't have its own tank, because we don't plan to add a washer and dryer anytime soon.
This can be a good thing.
Get yourself a twist on waste gate valve and you can close it and then open the washer tank valve and another grey valve and use the capacity of the washer tank when boondocking. They will equalize with the twist on valve closed. Works great for us!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 12:06 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Regarding grey tank handles, the OP said there is “one connected to the black tank just behind the axles” which confused me.
Quote:
Just picked up our 2022 Aurora 34BHTS and when I did the walk through it has three grey tank valves. There is one in front of the axles, one connected to the black tank just behind the axles, and a third toward the rear of the rig. The camper has a washer/dryer prep in the front, then a kitchen, and a bathroom/shower, and an outdoor kitchen with a sink toward the rear.

I cannot find it anywhere which drains, tanks, drain on which valves. Also no idea how much each tank holds. The total grey tank capacity is 70 gallons. Any ideas? My old 28 footer only had one drain where you drained both the grey and black. This seems like a pain, there are only 5 total drains on the inside of the camper having 3 places to drain them seems excessive?
Confused me too!
Three grey tank valves doesn't add up
One in front of the axles, one connected to the BLACK tank and a third towards the rear of the rig equals two grey and one black.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:48 PM   #11

According to the specs there is one gray tank and one black tank.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:49 AM   #12

It is for your washing machine hookup in the front closet. No tank for this as it would fill up too fast.
32742716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:13 AM   #13
Retired Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This can be a good thing.
Get yourself a twist on waste gate valve and you can close it and then open the washer tank valve and another grey valve and use the capacity of the washer tank when boondocking. They will equalize with the twist on valve closed. Works great for us!

I was thinking the exact same thing. I have the glue on valve that I highly recommend to have anyway.

If this is to work it is dependent on how many connections they have. Some have 2 connections where you need a Y fitting on your sewer hose to dump.

If only one connection, close the new gate valve that was installed at the cap, open all 3 gray valves and all 3 tanks will be used. When it comes time to dump close all 3 gray valves, open the new valve and the black. Once the black is done close the black and then dump all 3 grays.
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32742716 View Post
It is for your washing machine hookup in the front closet. No tank for this as it would fill up too fast.
our trailer has a 40 gallon gray tank dedicated to the washer drain.

we don't have a washer so that tank is rarely used. we can use it by installed on of those valterra add-on valves., closing that and opening the two gray tanks so the gray water equalizes.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:49 PM   #15

We took it out this weekend. The Washer/ dryer drains to the outlet in front of the axles. The kitchen and bathroom drain to the middle outlet next to the black tank outlet (just behind the axles), and the outside kitchen drains to the rear outlet. To make things more confusing our control panel only shows two grey tanks. My guess is the washer/dryer may not drain into a tank?

Doesn't really matter, we had a great time and none of the tanks got full in the three nights we were out. We don't plan on installing a washer and dryer, so hopefully that isn't a wasted tank.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:43 PM   #16
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Community Discussion section to the General TT/5th Wheel Discussion section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:03 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
We took it out this weekend. The Washer/ dryer drains to the outlet in front of the axles. The kitchen and bathroom drain to the middle outlet next to the black tank outlet (just behind the axles), and the outside kitchen drains to the rear outlet. To make things more confusing our control panel only shows two grey tanks. My guess is the washer/dryer may not drain into a tank?

Doesn't really matter, we had a great time and none of the tanks got full in the three nights we were out. We don't plan on installing a washer and dryer, so hopefully that isn't a wasted tank.

I'll ask again to clear up confusion...
You are saying you have FOUR places to connect a sewer hose?
1. "The Washer/ dryer drains to the outlet in front of the axles."
2. "The kitchen and bathroom drain to the middle outlet next to the black tank outlet."
3. The black tank outlet."
4. "and the outside kitchen drains to the rear outlet."

What you've written and implied makes no sense.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'll ask again to clear up confusion...
You are saying you have FOUR places to connect a sewer hose?
1. "The Washer/ dryer drains to the outlet in front of the axles."
2. "The kitchen and bathroom drain to the middle outlet next to the black tank outlet."
3. The black tank outlet."
4. "and the outside kitchen drains to the rear outlet."

What you've written and implied makes no sense.
There are three places to connect a sewer hose. Two of those places only have a grey valve. They are front and rear. The middle connect is a traditional grey/black where the grey and black valves share one sewer connection.

So...

1. The forward grey only sewer connection is where the washer/dryer drains.
2. The middle grey valve is where the Kitchen and bathroom drain. It's also where I drain the black tank (same connection) See pic
3. The rear is a grey only sewer connection where the outside kitchen sink drains.

Additionally the controller only shows two grey tanks (see second picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 2.17.55 PM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	284349   Click image for larger version

Name:	INT_036.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	284350  
Old 03-04-2023, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:

The one closest to the washing machine is for that and it has not tank. The one just behind the axle should be for the kitchen grey water, and the one in the rear should be for the bath grey water and your black water tank.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank