Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2022, 08:55 PM   #1

Time for an Upgrade

DW and I have decided to upgrade from our Hybrid into a hard sided Travel Trailer.

We have some specific requirements and have narrowed our selections to the
271RL and 273RL. Both models come in Salem Hemisphere and Wildwood Heritage Glenn.

A real bed, a larger shower, Theater Seats AND HAB sofa, 4 season trailer, no tent ends and 35' for less.

We are going to the Hershey show in 2 weeks to hopefully see these models.

In the meantime our "somewhat local" dealer had a Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS which is very similar to the 273RL (From a floorplan perspective). The GD is more expensive, but it seems to have the extras to justify it.

Does anyone have any GD horror stories worth knowing about, or does someone have such incredible love for their 271RL or 273RL that would convince us to stay with a Forest River product?

Thanks. I realize that GD is not a FR product and hope that this thread is OK because I'm still considering a FR product. If I have violated some rule, please let me know and I will edit my post.

Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:37 PM   #2

It's fine to discuss other manufacturer's on this forum. There aren't really any 4 season trailers available at that price point. There are 3 season with heated tanks.

I just did a quick comparison and the FR trailers are slightly longer and slightly lighter than the GD.

Have fun shopping!
Old 08-29-2022, 01:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Moved thread to the General TT and 5th Wheel Discussion section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:51 AM   #4

Since you have a 2500, are you looking at 5ers? We went through this in 2021 and decided on a 290RL 5er vs. the 273RL trailer. You get a lot more storage with the 5er and we love the rear living with lots of windows and bigger bathroom. The trailers are the same length but the 5er will tow shorter and much easier than the travel trailer.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Since you have a 2500, are you looking at 5ers? We went through this in 2021 and decided on a 290RL 5er vs. the 273RL trailer. You get a lot more storage with the 5er and we love the rear living with lots of windows and bigger bathroom. The trailers are the same length but the 5er will tow shorter and much easier than the travel trailer.
We have considered and looked at a few. After weighing all the different factors, we decided to stay with a TT.

We considered...
Length / Height
Truck Bed storage
New 5er Accessories.
Cost
Old 09-03-2022, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
We have considered and looked at a few. After weighing all the different factors, we decided to stay with a TT.

We considered...
Length / Height
Truck Bed storage
New 5er Accessories.
Cost
Coolio!

I will highly recommend the 271 layout vs. the 273. The windows are on the camp side so a little better privacy vs. facing the neighbor's camp site. It is sooooo nice sitting in the back and looking out of all those windows.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Coolio!

I will highly recommend the 271 layout vs. the 273. The windows are on the camp side so a little better privacy vs. facing the neighbor's camp site. It is sooooo nice sitting in the back and looking out of all those windows.
Believe it or not, we discussed this too. Our current rig has the kitchen on the camp side and the dinette/windows on the neighbor side. So we don't know any different.

Here was the latest in driving decisions. The kitchen slide is smaller and does not come out as much. We have had situations where we needed to access the fridge on the road or rest stop in tight areas. It would seem more convenient on the left side. Plus, I get a little outdoor kitchen on the 273 setup.

So just leaning toward 273, not a show stopper for the 271 however.
Ron
Old 09-04-2022, 06:52 AM   #8

Not sure who will be showing these brands at Hershey but once you get their best price find Stoltzfus RV from Adamstown, in the past years they have been showing the Cedar Creek line. They also sell the Salem line and even tho they do not show them at the show they can offer you a deal on them, ask for Lee that who I worked a great deal with. Let us know how things go and enjoy the show
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Not sure who will be showing these brands at Hershey but once you get their best price find Stoltzfus RV from Adamstown, in the past years they have been showing the Cedar Creek line. They also sell the Salem line and even tho they do not show them at the show they can offer you a deal on them, ask for Lee that who I worked a great deal with. Let us know how things go and enjoy the show
Funny you mention them. They are somewhat close to us. I actually called them 2 weeks ago and we were going to go on a Saturday afternoon for a visit, but they closed at 2pm and we were over an hour away so it would not work.

We were on a local "warm up" camping trip 2 years ago and I turned on the HWH and forgot the bypass was still set from winter. Yep, burned up the element quick. We stopped by Stoltzfus and they got me the part I needed. Very friendly people.

Ron
Old 09-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #10

Might be worth a trip there next weekend as they do show one on their lot and show units come from the factory not dealers lot so unless they sell it it should be there. Once again I highly recommend Lee Vought in sales
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:49 PM   #11

Ron045, you asked if anyone had any Grand Design horror stories. We have a 2019 GD model TT bought new in 2018. Sure we've had some troubles but any time I have reached out to customer service ( twice over 4 years) at GD they have been very helpful. Sure there are horror stories but we haven't had any. Best of luck on choosing.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade