Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #1

Tin vs glass

Long time camper here ( tent, 2 pop ups, hybrid ). We are considering moving on from the hybrid. In almost every aspect, we really like our Shamrock. Only concern is the bed. I just turned 70, DW still some years away from that milestone. One of us must crawl over the other unless we hit the sack at the same time, which seldom happens.
Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research and found a type of floorplan we like. Most manufacturers have a version or two. FR has several, Passport, Bullet, Jayco also. Now the question.
Some of the units are traditional stick and tin. Some are ultralite aluminum and glass ( or bonded ).
Stick and tin are usually cheaper but heavier.
Ultralites are usually more expensive but lighter.
I'm only looking at units that are within my tv towing capabilities. 2013 Ram quad cab 5.7 hemi.
Our trips are usually 2 hrs or less..3 days to a week.
Pros and cons please
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #2

Each has pros and cons................ From my years your own preferences should win out. ?

Tin (Alum) is easier to repair according to my RV repair guys........ but hail dents easier. Flat sides look better new (my opinion) but possible delamination issues later the repair is to replace a whole side......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
Site Team

As Oaklevel said, They both have their pros and cons.

I personally like aluminum sided RV's, because I can repair about anything that goes wrong with it. I cannot repair delamination or damage to a vacuum bonded fiberglass sided RV.

Even if I damage the siding of an aluminum RV, I can fix it as long as I can find someone to sell me the panels.

I understand the fact that aluminum is more prone to hail damage and if we lived or traveled in a part of the country where hail was a regular occurrence, I might be persuaded to consider that.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #4

We have had both tin (alum) and fiberglass rigs. Fiberglass hands down for us. Ease of maintenance for fiberglass is a big one, then throw in weight, durability, and looks.

If you worry about all the things that could possibly happen, you will never buy anything. The possibility of delamination is so small in newer rigs that I'm surprised the subject still comes up. Very few folks are going to fix exterior damage to their rigs themselves anyway. Tin dents very easily and is hard to buff with a buffer. We had bug strikes that dented the front of our tin rig

As far as floor plans, your concerns are valid. Make a list of things you do and don't want and stick to it. We bought one rig with a less than optimal floor plan for us, but the price was good. The 'little' things that bugged us in the beginning turned major with use and we ended up disliking the rig and trading it in.

Good luck! Hope you find your 'perfect' rig.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
(Dry Huunday)

The longer I own it the more I'm liking our stick n tin. Like others have mentioned they both have pro and cons so it is really up to the individual.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #6

I am liking these answers... they are all well put.

NMWildcat..I have seen several 1-5 year old RV's with delam issues and no apparent reason or damage. One I saw was beautiful and about 15 months old. It had a spot about 3 x 3 FT in the middle of the door side... it hurt my heart. It was a beautiful 5er prolly $80K+ new... The front curb slide had some kind of issues... Idunno they just scare me. According to some stuff I read on the internet the sun causes some delam issues because hot-cold-hot-cold. Idunno the real truth, but it get hot and humid here and that might be a problem.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

Yep, both have +'s and -'s, it's really a personal preference. We have always bought the fiberglass wall trailers. We like the looks much better and shy away from stick and tin after my father-in-laws well cared for Class C stick and tin motorhome had a serious rear corner "rot" problem many years ago due to an unknown water intrusion! And yes, I know, the same issue can occur on a fiberglass wall unit and in fact, will be more difficult and expensive to repair. Therefore, as i said above---it's a personal preference!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I am liking these answers... they are all well put.

NMWildcat..I have seen several 1-5 year old RV's with delam issues and no apparent reason or damage. One I saw was beautiful and about 15 months old. It had a spot about 3 x 3 FT in the middle of the door side... it hurt my heart. It was a beautiful 5er prolly $80K+ new... The front curb slide had some kind of issues... Idunno they just scare me. According to some stuff I read on the internet the sun causes some delam issues because hot-cold-hot-cold. Idunno the real truth, but it get hot and humid here and that might be a problem.
We live in the southwest, so lots of hot/cold. Over the year we RV with a very large group of folks which is about 95℅ fiberglass. None of us remember the last time any us have even seen delam problems that weren't caused by a leak. We were just discussing this subject at City of Rocks NM. But one fellows tin seams did detach causing the panels to billow in the wind, so there is that also

So yep, our experiences differ greatly. But you can (and will) have various problems with any and all rigs. I suppose my point is, you will have 'what ifs' with any style rig. So you do your research and pick which realistic problems you want to deal with
Old 11-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #9

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my original question. It is, as I suspected, a matter of personal preference. Now, can I ask one more.
Are there any manufacturers, or brands, that you have had good experience with?
Are there any manufacturers, or brands, that you have had bad experience with?
Sorry. Guess that is 2 questions.
Our experience has shown Flagstaff to be well constructed and trouble free.
2013 Ram 1500
Old 11-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #10

The only answer I could give is... Filon(sp) is where the problems are, because of how they are bonded. Gel-coat was made better(sorry southern) and had way less issues than Filon as told by an RV salesman. Fact? I have no idea.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #11

I truly wish there was an obvious answer to the question of better manufacturers. Our 5 rigs have all been different manufacturers. Not on purpose... Just worked out that way. The components and build quality was the same on all of them. The only difference between manufacturers was the sticker on the outside. I've helped owners of high end rigs with repairs, and when you get in the crawl spaces the quality of build is the same as my midrange rig. And now there are only a handful of manufacturers with multiple brands. If there is a difference in quality, it's not much. I also saw no major difference in warranty and support after the sale. I feel you either get lucky and get a good build, or you get one that was built on Friday when everyone was in a hurry to get out the door. But that's just my opinion. Good luck!!
Old 11-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Are there any manufacturers, or brands, that you have had good experience with?
Are there any manufacturers, or brands, that you have had bad experience with?
EVERY brand has its lemons and fans and haters.
Even revered brands like Winnebago.

Go to non-brand specific RV forums, like RV.net, and do some reading.

You'll find owners dissatisfied with every brand out there. Upset with poor quality and bad customer support.

Then you'll also find those who absolutely love the same brand and have had great customersupport.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #13

Ok guys. Thanks for the input. I don't know how far this search will go. Still not completely convinced I want to get rid of my 23 ikss. It's been a great camper for the last 3 seasons and looks almost new. I guess it's not a bad position to be in.
2013 Ram 1500
Old 11-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #14

The other day the wife and I toured the Cedar Creak Factory in Topeka IN. We were able to view the finished raw Gelcoat/Fiberglass/wood substrate panel they use for the outer skin. Having worked as a R&D engineer for a major glass mat and roving manufacture I was impressed with the finished product. It is bonded to the aluminum frame using a 3-M adhesive. I do not see delamination as a issue. This product is highly repairable by any trained fiberglass repair facility (Bath tub & shower repair people). Large repairs should be made at an authorized repair facility.

I am not sure if this product is shared with any of the other Forest River lines.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
The other day the wife and I toured the Cedar Creak Factory in Topeka IN. We were able to view the finished raw Gelcoat/Fiberglass/wood substrate panel they use for the outer skin. Having worked as a R&D engineer for a major glass mat and roving manufacture I was impressed with the finished product. It is bonded to the aluminum frame using a 3-M adhesive. I do not see delamination as a issue. This product is highly repairable by any trained fiberglass repair facility (Bath tub & shower repair people). Large repairs should be made at an authorized repair facility.

I am not sure if this product is shared with any of the other Forest River lines.
The same glass process is used on the Salem Villa Estate and Wildwood Lodge lines.
True high-gloss gel coat fiberglass exterior is the name of the glass. Does not delaminate because it is not laminated.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote