Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #21

Funny, I saw your post & was reminded how identical it was to mine almost a year ago. While I had towed before, everything from a 30' class C pulling a car to most recently, a 20' TT, I was feeling extremely anxious about the 36' Windjammer purchased & taken up to Door County, WI for the shakedown in Oct. Our real shakedown was 8k + up to Alaska this July & with all the maneuvering needed to get some 54'+ft into fuel stops, sites, small town streets, as well as the belly of a Ferry, I really wonder what all my worry was about. Ok, I'm still cautious as one should be, but as described by others, practice will build that confidence.
Best thing to remember is to watch your sides when turning (especially right). Give yourself enough room, swing out if needed & don't assume anything. Once you get the handle on how the rig follows, it will become second nature. Good luck!
mdesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #22

also pay the little extra $$ on a decent brake controlle, that extra 30 bucks will make a world of difference...
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #23

We have ALL had to learn how to drive, and tow at some point. You've gotten really good advice. I'll just add one thing (OK, I guess it's two):

There are 2 things I've personally done that have made me an overall much better driver:

1. Ride a motorcycle. This has made me super aware of EVERYTHING going on.
2. Tow a TT. Again, this has made me watch more carefully, like traffic flows, upcomming lane changes, high curbs, etc. It makes you learn how to use your mirrors properly. It has also allowed me to relax. Seriously, when you're towing, it doesn't matter that everyone else is zipping past you. You're going camping, and doing it at YOUR pace, not others. I love it.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #24

I was driving M 47 tanks in the army before I drove a car and racing cross country motorcycles for many years including world championship participation helped my driving skills with motorhomes and trailers I guess. No accident or damage in 40+ years. :-)
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #25

Thanks folks for the replies. Lots of great responses! Hope this helps the next guy with cold feet on towing big rigs.
vcarbona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #26

I guess my language was quite vague. When I said longer trailers were easier I was referring to something in the high teens to mid 20s in length as compared to something with a short tongue to axel length like a 6 or 8 flat bed trailer. And only in terms of backing up.

Trust me... My 36'9" of TT presents the largest challenges I've had when trailering. It wants to drift more inside around winding bends. Getting onto pads with any angle (but especially) an acute one is particularly challenging. And although its not even a full 4' than my previous TT its characterists are quite dissimilar and it presents a unique "feel" when pulling down the highway, through a twist or turn, and when parking.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
Site Team

vcarbona
you can do it!!
Yep I was little nervous driving first few times with my 36 foot 8 inch Bertha. But its a good feeling at the cc when other campers are watching and you back that bad boy in the first or second try
When in doubt get out an look!
If I dont feel some adrenaline flowing when towing Big Bertha around there is something wrong!
Watch out for trees above you an have your A game on!!
Lots of good advice here from all as well!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
I guess my language was quite vague. When I said longer trailers were easier I was referring to something in the high teens to mid 20s in length as compared to something with a short tongue to axel length like a 6 or 8 flat bed trailer. And only in terms of backing up.

Trust me... My 36'9" of TT presents the largest challenges I've had when trailering. It wants to drift more inside around winding bends. Getting onto pads with any angle (but especially) an acute one is particularly challenging. And although its not even a full 4' than my previous TT its characterists are quite dissimilar and it presents a unique "feel" when pulling down the highway, through a twist or turn, and when parking.
X2 on the challenges of long units!

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

forgot to add, get Walkie talkies for backing up as you won't be able to see behind you as easily. have your spotter talk in short easy to understand commands and use passenger side/drivers side to avoid confusion.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:

WOW! I thought I was brave pulling my 34'8" Lacrosse with a 2008 GMC 1500. My hat is off to you. I since move to a 2013 Silverado 1500 TV.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
WOW! I thought I was brave pulling my 34'8" Lacrosse with a 2008 GMC 1500. My hat is off to you. I since move to a 2013 Silverdo 1500 TV.
Certainly much closer to the limits than I want to be. And I have to be mindful of what I bring along in the way of gear. I'd like to think my next TV will be a 3/4 ton. I'll say this, the Traceris supposed to be a "lite model" but at nearly 37' nothing is lite!

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 09-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #32
Site Team

Recommend a trip to the scales

Quote:
Certainly much closer to the limits than I want to be. And I have to be mindful of what I bring along in the way of gear. I'd like to think my next TV will be a 3/4 ton. I'll say this, the Traceris supposed to be a "lite model" but at nearly 37' nothing is lite!
Ahh a trip to the scales would shed a lot of "not so lite" on things.

Just my 2 cents

Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #33
American Dreamer

As one that pulls a 35' and had never towed anything before I can relate but after a month on the road I was way more relaxed even though you never get over when a large trailer blows by pushing you or when you are traveling in long plain road and out of nowhere you get a gust of wind starts playing with the whole rig.

After a year on the road and having to back up in to terrible sites under horrible weather you also start getting enough experience where everything becomes second nature.

My biggest advice to anyone is when starting always remember when you turn you will have a 6-8 foot extension at the back after the axles that will swing wide so always give yourself space to the opposite side when turning.

And it sure is amazing how big 35 feet are.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Ahh a trip to the scales would shed a lot of "not so lite" on things.

Just my 2 cents

Carl
Oh I don't need a scale to tell me I'm at the limit of my truck. That's why I try to travel light... That doesn't always happen either.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Oh I don't need a scale to tell me I'm at the limit of my truck. That's why I try to travel light... That doesn't always happen either.
I was shocked the first time I went to the scales with my lacrosse
The info said tongue weight 875Lbs. But on the scales a whopping 1200 lbs.
With nothing more then 8 plastic wheel chocks and 10 plastic bricks in the storage area. The unit itself was well over 300 lbs heaver then the yellow sticker.
Even with my 3/4 ton Im pushing the limits of the gross wt.
These suckers are heavy no lite about it. The more I take out...the more she puts in
Happy campin
Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #36

Ain't that the truth... For every item that goes out three go in.... God help me, in a year I'll need a ton and a half to get into my favorite campground.

But I agree with you. Sadly I have a feeling most people towing a large TT are at of above their tow rating. Doublly true if their pulling with a half ton. My rear suspension and rear axel are noticably stressed when the truck is fully loaded and the trailer connected. I think I posted already, my next truck will hopefully be a 3/4 ton.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Ain't that the truth... For every item that goes out three go in.... God help me, in a year I'll need a ton and a half to get into my favorite campground.

But I agree with you. Sadly I have a feeling most people towing a large TT are at of above their tow rating. Doublly true if their pulling with a half ton. My rear suspension and rear axel are noticably stressed when the truck is fully loaded and the trailer connected. I think I posted already, my next truck will hopefully be a 3/4 ton.
Most rigs and units i see at the cc I know are over weight.
When we unloaded our Tracer before trading it in on the Lacrosse it took me a long long time to get all the stuff out we dont use that was in there. Set all the stuff in a corner in the garage. Well she saw it and 1/2 of that is back in the lacrosse and the other half is not. I threw a tarp over it to hide it.
She tell me most of the stuff we take with is my stuff. She right , blocks ,chocks, jack , tools and stuff you need for towing. Hers is luxuries stuff. She said we have all that cabinet space to fill, thats what its there for...
Its all good were happy
Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #38

"...my next truck will hopefully be a 3/4 ton."
Hopefully??
The price of a high payload F350 is negligible compared to the pitiful payload of an F250 which has a max gross weight of 10,0000 lbs.

Quote from an Email from my local dealer;
"Hi Thomas, Got your email. Looks like you have done your research.
"3. Payload will be 3970"

Why would you not get a capable truck?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Most rigs and units i see at the cc I know are over weight.
When we unloaded our Tracer before trading it in on the Lacrosse it took me a long long time to get all the stuff out we dont use that was in there. Set all the stuff in a corner in the garage. Well she saw it and 1/2 of that is back in the lacrosse and the other half is not. I threw a tarp over it to hide it.
LOL. The same thing happened to be when I moved out of my Spingdale. After four years it too two trips with my pickup to unload it all. That was a lot of crap!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
"...my next truck will hopefully be a 3/4 ton."
Hopefully??
The price of a high payload F350 is negligible compared to the pitiful payload of an F250 which has a max gross weight of 10,0000 lbs.

Quote from an Email from my local dealer;
"Hi Thomas, Got your email. Looks like you have done your research.
"3. Payload will be 3970"

Why would you not get a capable truck?
That's all well and good, but there are a couple of reasons. First) I will be buying used in all likelihood. Since 1-tons carry a higher resale value that difference may not be so "negligible" Second) It's easier to find gas 3/4-tons than it is 1-tons. Third) I don't need the additional payload. One extra leaf in my spring pack and E-range tires and my current truck would tow exactly where I want it.

And I love dealers, I get tired of telling them more about their trucks ratings than they tell me...

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #40

Have fun!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote