Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #41
PhD, Common Sense

In games such as Tic-Tac-Toe, Global Thermonuclear War, and “Yes, but”, the only winning move, as Joshua said, is not to play.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #42

The suggestions I have not seen on this thread is to measure the distance of the axles to make sure they are straight. You believe it is alignment and you need to check. There was a thread a while back but I could not find it that said exactly how to do it. I would imagine hitch to axle frame mounting point should be the exact same measurement? Even a framing square or the 3/4/5 ft measurement to check square of axle to the frame would be good. Measure both axles. Also if you have driven far check tire wear patterns.

The other thing I would say is to turn off the F150 sway control. I dont think this will cause your issue but if brakes are not adjusted properly and sway control kicks in you would feel this. Braking would also be bad if this were the case but this could happen when not braking with sway control on.

My money is on the
1.brake wiring grounding out to one of the wheels
2.axle alignment.
3.axles are backwards.

Any could have happened when the swapped the axles. Time to get on the ground and check it out.

Weighing may also tell you something you may need to know like you need to return more weight to front or there is too much in the back of the trailer with low tongue weight percentage but I think the above are most likely and this is just a cheap way of ruling all that stuff out.

As someone who has been there and Hensley resolved the problem I wish you the best of luck.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #43

One additional thing because you said Hensley....Check that your chains are inside the hitch head and not too tight at different angles. Just today mine were too tight and when I hit the pivot point for the head the trailer would push back. I stopped and saw the issue and untwisted the chain a few times and no more issues. They were loose when I hooked up but were hitting in the turns.

Hoping one of these help!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #44

I would take a serious look at your brake controller to see if it is shorting out and sending error signals to the brakes. The second thing I would do is pull the emergency brake cable and let the brakes lock.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #45

4 days later and no replies.
Did he find the answer and was too embarrassed to tell us.
ch1ch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #46

8327ss Towing

I suspect your problem is with your particular coach. I purchased a new 2016 in Aug 2015, then pulled it over 12,000 miles to Alaska and back from northern Michigan. Truck is a Chevy 2500HD with a Reese WDH. Had zero problems, even with 45mph side winds across Montana. Loaded weight at the scales before leaving was just over 10,200 lbs.

Hope you get your problems solved. This is a terrific coach.
billnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #47

wow sorry to hear your having these problems, i have read all this and Im not the smartest about trailers but lets back up a bit. when your driving down the road the trailer sways i assume this is what you mean, when you brake it does something different which is another problem, too many variables here, i see your frustration so lets backup a bit, so if you know some one with another truck be it a dodge or a chevy hook to and try it see what it does even if the setup isn't close it should give you a base to go by, the brakes should be checked for operation as other people have suggested or leave it disconnected on a short road test, its a process of elimination, your truck might not be enough for that size of tt, could be too much tw or setup, my 34ft tt towed awful with a fastway E2 wdh,the bed of the truck would wiggle like crazy, changed to a husky centerline, all gone and much better, Im only giving a few suggestions that i know which can cause issue's , good luck and keep us posted
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #48

So once I dropped it off i let Rockwood and dexter work with camping world. As to answer some of the questions about the truck I’m not scared to show my sticker. I know what my limits are and I know I’m close. My point was the issue wasn’t there prior to the axle swap. Before I double my truck payment i need the manufacturer to rule out the issue. A friend has a gas f250 and the trailer darts left and right same as my truck. Just to change my wording it’s not sway. The rear is not moving. Hard to explain but at random the trailer acts like it wants to go left or right while truck is going straight. The factory axles that were swapped from factory were in recall so not to put down all the weight theory I need to rule out human error before I burry myself in a truck that isn’t needed. First trip was over 4 hours and wasn’t pleasant minus not having good braking. That’s how we knew we had an issue to start. I do appreciate all the ideas but I do feel one of you had the same Theory as a larger shop in nc. Does factory controller or brake wire ground random engagement of individual brakes making it steal one way or the other. I will update the outcome.

And to all the big truck guys. Absolutely a 250 would be great but at this time all I can do is what I have. If I’m close to my limit I’ll have to baby it till I can’t. Regardless of the numbers. The trips prior and after axle swap are night and day and truck is the same. So hope camping world gets it together
Seand76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #49

When you tried towing it with the F250 were you still using the Hensley WDH ?
Have you tried towing the trailer any distance without a WDH?

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
When you tried towing it with the F250 were you still using the Hensley WDH ?
Have you tried towing the trailer any distance without a WDH?

I used the Hensley and the prior hitch blue ox sway pro. It wasn’t till the Hensley when you could actually see an odd movement in the side mirrors. Traveling behind it while it was being towed you don’t see sway but a rocking from left to right. No I have not tried without wd hitch. Unfortunately it’s been at camping world for 3 weeks.
Seand76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #51

Do you have any pictures of the truck / trailer setup? I am curious to see how it looks when setup to tow.
Sometimes it’s just something simple that gets missed and causes all kinds of issues.
I will say I am not a fan of the Hensley and how it sets up.
I would certainly try everything possible before just buying a new truck!
Have you by chance tried towing another trailer with your hitch setup?

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #52

I agree with you, it's not the fact that you have too little truck. It's at the limits but I would doubt you are over. The HD payload package us probably around 2200-2500 lbs from ones I have seen. I could careless about if you post the numbers. I was told too my truck, under the limits, was not enough and that was my sway problems. I bought a ProPride and fixed all of that. A bigger truck doesn't prevent sway, it just dampens the feel of it.
I was following a transport the other night, Ram dually flatbed pulling a 25' TT on just a ball and was all over the road. Since it didn't do it before that's obvious. I would think with how sensitive Ford's computer is with trailer connection a short in the brake line would cause it to chime or be disconnected. I had a cut brake line last year and didn't know it. Every time it would touch metal my dash would chime and say trailer disconnected even though my lights were still on. I just would lose all brakes. Would come back until I pulled the cord and plugged it back in. Seems like a bad install or bad brakes or something.
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #53

I had a similar problem with a 20 ft utility trailer.
Turned out to be loose axle bolts.
ch1ch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #54

This has been interesting. Waiting on final solution. Keep posting progress
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seand76 View Post
So once I dropped it off i let Rockwood and dexter work with camping world. As to answer some of the questions about the truck I’m not scared to show my sticker. I know what my limits are and I know I’m close. My point was the issue wasn’t there prior to the axle swap. Before I double my truck payment i need the manufacturer to rule out the issue. A friend has a gas f250 and the trailer darts left and right same as my truck. Just to change my wording it’s not sway. The rear is not moving. Hard to explain but at random the trailer acts like it wants to go left or right while truck is going straight. The factory axles that were swapped from factory were in recall so not to put down all the weight theory I need to rule out human error before I burry myself in a truck that isn’t needed. First trip was over 4 hours and wasn’t pleasant minus not having good braking. That’s how we knew we had an issue to start. I do appreciate all the ideas but I do feel one of you had the same Theory as a larger shop in nc. Does factory controller or brake wire ground random engagement of individual brakes making it steal one way or the other. I will update the outcome.

And to all the big truck guys. Absolutely a 250 would be great but at this time all I can do is what I have. If I’m close to my limit I’ll have to baby it till I can’t. Regardless of the numbers. The trips prior and after axle swap are night and day and truck is the same. So hope camping world gets it together
I see one problem, Camping World. I've seen their work. I had them do a Dometic Refrigerator recall. They bungled it so bad that Dometic paid another dealer to redo the recall. I'd have another dealer or axel shop check the install.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #56
llr

Since you tried another truck it is not your truck or brake controller. I agree you are probably close or over but that is a separate issue.

A brake issue such as bad ground or adjustment can't cause this issue unless it only happens when you apply the brakes. The only way the brakes could be randomly applying would be the brake controller, trying a different truck eliminated this. or an intermittent short between the +12v line and the brake wire, which is doubtful.

So this brings back to an axle issue either a bad axle or poor installation. I have no idea of your mechanical ability but jacking up, checking wheels and alignment would be my starting point. If you can't do this I would suggest a local truck/trailer shop and not Camping World or most RV dealers.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #57
Superdutycamping

The biggest problem i see and this is my two cents worth you aint got enough truck for that trailer a half ton truck aint made to pull that much weight i dont care what ford says and im speaking from experience i bought a wildwood 31kqbxt last year and had an f150 5.0 my camper is 9800 lbs i made 1 trip with the 150 and went and traded for a f250 i had the same problem as you describe with my 150 i do not with the 250 the 150 truck itself is not heavy enough to handle that much weight
Superdutymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #58

I would check the axles by measuring from the axle hub to the very front of the tounge and do this on both sides. Should be the same. If it isn't, they did not install the axles right and camping world is noted for that. If that is ok, I would take the trailer back to where I bought it and get my money back.
Toma1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #59

And also, that F150 is NOT big enough for that trailer and its a wonder you haven't piled it up already. Ford will tell you that the F150 is good enough but the F250 is rated for towing. 3/4ton or better
Toma1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #60
Superdutycamping

To amend my reply horsepower wise the f150 is fine its the truck to trailer weight ratio where the 150 dosent make the cut when the trailer weighs nearly double what the truck does which one do you think is gonna be the bully again just my two cents worth
Superdutymike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, trailer