Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #61

I'm with JohnD10...come to a forum for assistance/opinions...refuse to offer important requested information (sticker specs)...and expect people to offer valid troubleshooting information?
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #62

Since using a 250 seemed to not make a difference one needs to look carefully at the trailer!

This is likely one of the goofy issues.

I would hook it up and go for a ride.

Use the brakes a bit and then stop and carefully measure temps of tires and lug nuts. Record. Be careful on speed. Dry pavement.

We carry an IR temp gage for this. Look for differences. One odd one. Will tell you a lot.

I would carefully check dimensions. Between wheels and hitch to axle.

Defective tire? No mixed tires. Torque of lug nuts? Did the manufacturer use metal or plastic bushings on suspension. Anything missing. Wet bolts?

Having the best hitch available likely is not the issue.

I assume the trailer is level and the truck is a little rear high? I would be concerned that the rear springs in a Ford are sort of small. There was another post where the Ford bumper was inches lower than the front. And the trailer was low in the front. Not ok.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
I'm with JohnD10...come to a forum for assistance/opinions...refuse to offer important requested information (sticker specs)...and expect people to offer valid troubleshooting information?

I believe the fact that he stated that other than brakes not working it rode well before he took in. The fact he said did the same thing with his friends 250 ( I understand options on the 250 could impact payload) Perhaps he is wanting the focus to remain on the trl axles and avoid the you can’t tow anything but a pop- up with a 1/2 ton argument that always seems to pop up
Old 05-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #64

Let us know what you find out hopefully it will not be in the shop much longer.

The RED Flag to me is that you did not have the problem until the axles were swapped.

Many will instead of trying to help will seem to turn on you fast. All !!!!! we have to stop and think this forum is here to help one another, not to start arguments. You can disagree but it is how you go about it.

We are not always right !!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
Problem is not the truck at this point th OP stated truck towed fine before the axle swap. So why is everyone going back to the truck as his problem. That variable did not change. Change is with the axle. Therefore its axle or brake related. . So leave the truck out of it.
snapcap14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #66

OK, everyone is hammering your truck. So, do this: measure from the center of your backing plate on the axle on one side to the very front of the tongue. Write that measurement down. Measure again from the opposite side to the same point on the tongue. Write that measurement down. Compare the two measurements which should be the same. If those are the same, measure the rear axle the same way. Should be the same measurement. If those are good, measure side to side. Pick a spot on the frame and measure from the backing plate to the frame on each side. Those measurements should be the same. As for the brakes, take a brake spoon and tighten the adjustment on the brakes to the point that they are tight and the whell will not move. Back it off one 1/2 turns. Do this on all of the braking wheels. Check the wiring to each axle and make sure the connections are together. If need be to make sure, cut them and redo them yourself. You do this, you should be able to tow it where ever you want. But to be truthful, the F150 is a little on the light side and you get a F250, you gas mileage will go up. I get 17-19 mpg towing my 31 foot Forest River Salem but I also have a diesel. Good luck!!!
Toma1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #67

I wish everyone would READ the entire thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. The OP said he did NOT have the issue before the axles were replaced.

2. The OP said he had the same problem towing the trailer with his friends F250.

3. The OP said that it was back in the shop. We are waiting for his response after he gets it back as to what the repair shop says !!!

I may not be the sharpest rock in the pond but if the problem did not exist before the axles were replaced I would start at the trailer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I wish everyone would READ the entire thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. The OP said he did NOT have the issue before the axles were replaced.

2. The OP said he had the same problem towing the trailer with his friends F250.

3. The OP said that it was back in the shop. We are waiting for his response after he gets it back as to what the repair shop says !!!

I may not be the sharpest rock in the pond but if the problem did not exist before the axles were replaced I would start at the trailer.

Thumbs up emoticon!
Roo-minator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, trailer