Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer suspension

Ok all you very knowledgable folks. I recently got a 2014 Chaparral 29BHS 5er. The trailer has no shocks only leafs. Are there benefits to adding shocks? Are the run of the mill bolt on one's worth a darn? I can't believe a newer trailer didn't come with them from the factory
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #2

Very few RV towables come from the factory with shocks. And most don't need them.

We tow ours (around 12k at the most when loaded) on dirt roads frequently and have no problems. Would shocks smooth the ride for the RV? I'm sure, but are they actually necessary? Nope.

But I know several folks that added them. They say they can't really tell the difference when actually towing, but stuff in the RV isn't jostled about as much. Your guess is as good as mine on how they actually know that
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Very few RV towables come from the factory with shocks. And most don't need them.

We tow ours (around 12k at the most when loaded) on dirt roads frequently and have no problems. Would shocks smooth the ride for the RV? I'm sure, but are they actually necessary? Nope.

But I know several folks that added them. They say they can't really tell the difference when actually towing, but stuff in the RV isn't jostled about as much. Your guess is as good as mine on how they actually know that
Awesome. Thanks for the insight. So they are not necessarily improving towability?
Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #4

Some folks swear they dramatically improve towability, others claim they have no affect on towability.

I think it depends on whether you have them or not

All I can say is my friends who have towed both ways say they couldn't tell the difference from the tow vehicle. None of my towables have ever had shocks.

But I do know an air-ride fifth wheel hitch does make a difference
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #5

We have a different system. We had the MoreRyde independent suspension/disk brake combo added to our Vengeance Touring. I can tell you that there is a huge difference in how it tows. I also accidentally left a couple of spice bottles out on the counter when we were on the AlCan heading to Alaska and when we stopped, the bottles hadn't moved.

I have heard that shocks alone don't do much, but if you have the money, this setup is awesome!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180313_160646913.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	189787
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusikShoppe View Post
We have a different system. We had the MoreRyde independent suspension/disk brake combo added to our Vengeance Touring. I can tell you that there is a huge difference in how it tows. I also accidentally left a couple of spice bottles out on the counter when we were on the AlCan heading to Alaska and when we stopped, the bottles hadn't moved.

I have heard that shocks alone don't do much, but if you have the money, this setup is awesome!Attachment 189787
Holy Hell. I'd hate to even think what that costs
Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #7

It wasn't cheap, but our rig is fine after 9000 miles up and down from Alaska.

Hubby wants to ride in the back while I take it on a bumpy road just to see what it's like. I'll post it whenever he decides to do it.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusikShoppe View Post
It wasn't cheap, but our rig is fine after 9000 miles up and down from Alaska.

Hubby wants to ride in the back while I take it on a bumpy road just to see what it's like. I'll post it whenever he decides to do it.
I'm still trying to figure out if this will be our "forever" trailer or if we will give it up in a few years. Don't want to drop that kind of change on suspension
Old 10-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #9

We've had this rig since 2014 and will probably keep it for many years to come. If you're not sure about keeping it, I wouldn't do it.

I know that several companies have different equalizers that are supposed to help.

http://www.morryde.com/products/89-l...2F4-suspension
Old 10-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #10

If you can find the Lippert shock mount kit (stud mount on both ends) without the cheap China shocks, it will make a difference in the way your trailer behaves. Shocks are a necessity on our rear kitchen unit. Use the Monroe shocks from Amazon part # 555025, much better shock than the Lippert stuff. Self threading bolts are included in the kit. Fastenal has additional hardware if you need.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, trailer