Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #61
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Lots of tire stores are starting to turn away tires they don't sell as a liability issue.

In other words, if something does go wrong with the tire, who are the customers going to blame first...

The tire store that mounted them...or the internet store where they bought the tires from.

It's just a matter of time before they all turn away tires that you bring in to them...or even have them shipped to them from another online source!

Now, if you order them online from a network of stores...that is different.

Of course, chances are that you really are getting tires that are already in stock at that store or their local warehouse, and not really some mystical online low priced store.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #62
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
And this is why I know better than to participate in tire threads. One day I will learn to obstain from this logic defying subject.
We really need a thumbs up on this website! [emoji106]
Old 11-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I put 14 ply rated, Load range "G" tires on my 5er. Made in China. Super heavy, they are even re-groovable if you ever happened to wear them that far (not too likely!)
They increased my average fuel mileage by about 10% because of several factors, one of which these tires are inflated to about 100psi and the OEM tires were about 65psi.

I have 100% confidence these tires will outlive my fifth wheel and provide great service. Provider F835
Just to clarify, even if these tires don't wear AT ALL, they should still be replaced at approximately 5-6 year intervals. Tire trailers rarely see much wear but still degrade over time, especially when exposed to sun/salt/ temperature fluctuations, etc. This also should be considered for your spare tires on your other vehicles.

Please see this NTSB tire aging and service life bulletin for more on this.

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Doc...el_4b_Kane.pdf
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Old 11-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #64

I was told replace after 4yrs when the conversation came up at the service counter the other day

Rockwood 2509S
Old 11-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #65
Coachman 312BHDS

Also, the SAILUN are the best I have found for monster fifth wheels. More reliable than the equivalent Goodyear's. They are used on commercial trailers frequently because of their reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
Forgive me if I misunderstand your post, but if you imply that SAILUN tires are bad because they are made in China, I strongly disagree. My experience and extensive research here and everywhere has convinced me that SAILUN Commercial Truck Tires are an excellent choice for trailers and are probably better than Goodyear. They are certainly are a better value.

Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637T HD ST Trailer

The SAILUN S637T has solved all of my tire issues. SAILUNS are not available in every RV size. If I ever buy an RV with a tire size not supported by SAILUN, I will change wheels so I can fit SAILUNS.

Some good tires are made in China. Some bad tires are made everywhere.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #66

If you are thinking about it now, you are probably worried that you are sitting on a keg of explosives so do it now. I replaced my Castle Rock tires with Goodyear Endurance after about 3000 miles-in the first season that we owned it based on the horror shows that I saw in this forum. The difference is unbelievable-the sidewalls are much more durable and the camper trailers so much better. Don't screw around and wait for a tire to separate and cause you all sorts of problems in your wheel well.

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Old 11-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
We really need a thumbs up on this website! [emoji106]
Thumbs up to both of you. Oh, by the way, can I pull a 40' toy hauler with my F150? The dealer said I could.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #68
JFKMLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by csc View Post
When I eventually have to replace my 4 tires , should I go with a better truck tire and not those china bombs?
I've had those so called 'China Bombs' on my 2017 Cedar Creek Champagne with 8,000 lbs. axles and 18,000 miles on them. Never had a problem and they are wearing just fine. I did buy self balancers for each tire and before every move ensure that they have proper pressure. Are my Chinese tires a bomb, NOT.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:10 AM   #69
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
Oh, by the way, can I pull a 40' toy hauler with my F150? The dealer said I could.
Wait till you see this setup

Old 11-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #70

Tires

Agreed on ride firmness and sidewall loads. I've seen two axles peel a tire right off the rim in a sharp turn. Question for you all. Is there room on a wolf pup to trade up from 14" rims to 15"? I like the low profile look of the rig but worry about those little tires looking so squat at 65 psi.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #71

Ps

I'm thinking that if you used truck tires you can soften the ride by making sure you have radials rather than bias ply. Most trucks these days are for soccer moms and not "real trucks" as in back in the day and the tires and the ride are pretty are pretty soft.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadave View Post
... Most trucks these days are for soccer moms and not "real trucks" as in back in the day and the tires and the ride are pretty are pretty soft.

1/2 tons today can have more payload than 3/4 tons built today. You don't have to go back in time very far for modern half tons to whip all the 3/4 tons on ratings and the further back in the day you go the capacity spread just gets worse for the 'good old days'.

The tow rating on a modern 1/2 ton can be more than the 350 series trucks with a big block from 20 years ago by several thousand pounds...Some 350 series trucks built today you could take a 20 year old 350 series truck with the max trailer it was rated for and put that truck and trailer on a trailer and pull the whole mess.

While I have a fondness for the 'back in the day' trucks, pickup trucks today place them into a light duty category with a much nicer ride empty or loaded while doing so...
Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #73

I just put ST load range Es on our 8400 lb Vlite after the Cs that came on it from the factory went out on the highway. Thank God Good Sam Roadside Assistance.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #74

Stick to OEM recommendations

To me, this is a no-brainer. Replace the tires with the same tire as originally installed by the manufacturer. Don't think that you (or your buddies or anyone else on this forum) know more than the factory people do. Even changing the rating can be a mistake. Stay within the recommended loads, pressures, and service intervals. Don't put truck tires on an axle designed for trailer tires.

I do not know what kind of testing the trailer makers do, but I know that vehicle manufactures put a lot of engineering expertise into selecting the right tires and doing the durability testing to make sure that they perform properly and meet expectations. Straying away from these specifications is both foolish and dangerous.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susquatch View Post
To me, this is a no-brainer. Replace the tires with the same tire as originally installed by the manufacturer. Don't think that you (or your buddies or anyone else on this forum) know more than the factory people do. Even changing the rating can be a mistake. ....
Really?...I'm guessing you're having fun here because what argument could someone possibly have for replacing an st tire with a higher rated st tire being a bad idea.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #76
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susquatch View Post
To me, this is a no-brainer. Replace the tires with the same tire as originally installed by the manufacturer. Don't think that you (or your buddies or anyone else on this forum) know more than the factory people do. Even changing the rating can be a mistake. Stay within the recommended loads, pressures, and service intervals. Don't put truck tires on an axle designed for trailer tires.

I do not know what kind of testing the trailer makers do, but I know that vehicle manufactures put a lot of engineering expertise into selecting the right tires and doing the durability testing to make sure that they perform properly and meet expectations. Straying away from these specifications is both foolish and dangerous.
I'd like to comment on your first paragraph. You are giving the end manufacturer way too much credit. Companies like Forest River approach a chassis builder like Lippert and tell them the specs with an estimated weight figures & dimensions. Then Lippert orders axles in bulk for the chassis they're going to build. Most cases another company supplies wheel/tire combos for a specific weight axle. Unless Forest River specs it out in a specific request for a certain tire, then it is upto Lippert or the axle supplier to throw on whatever tire/wheel comes in. Some higher end manufacturers have spec'd out LT tires for good reason.
By the time the trailer is built for a customer it can weigh more than what the tires and axles supplied are even rated for at capacity. This has happened. I would not put the manufacturers on a pedestal because they're main thing in mind is cost. If they can save 20 bucks a tire by putting on a marginal barely capable tire or axle or chassis for that matter, they will & have done so.
My next response to your second paragraph, you said yourself you are aware of all the testing that goes into a motorized vehicle tire for dependability, quality, safety, ect.... trailer tires, not so much. Is there any? The way they don't last and grenade how could they have been? There's a reason it says right on ST tires "For Trailer Use Only" and I strongly believe it is because the manufacturers know the ST tires are bombs and they don't want lawsuits from an ST tire failing causing a motorized passenger vehicle to crash. If a trailer tire blows out, no big deal. But if a truck tire manufacturer consistently has blow outs it's going to be a big deal. (Ford/Firestone)
ST tires Special Trailer Service (ST) are not even required to be UTQG rated. (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) Maybe they should be.
Please if anyone has links for videos or supporting documentation for tire testing performed on ST trailer use tires I'd like to see them.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #77

I haven't read all this yet....

I think the main problem with the China Bombs.... Running low pressure. Too fast for speed rating. Most importantly....OVERLOADED or too close to max and no 20% cushion.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 11-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I haven't read all this yet....

I think the main problem with the China Bombs.... Running low pressure. Too fast for speed rating. Most importantly....OVERLOADED or too close to max and no 20% cushion.
What about the folks with TPMS, new tires, just checked the tires, spares that were never used, empty trailers and still had problems.

20% cushion? You mean like the trailers that come from the factory that are rated so close to the tire limit that they need the tow vehicle to take up the slack just to barely stay in spec?

Jayco switched everything to Goodyear Endurance to avoid the problems they were having.

Where there is smoke, there is fire...
Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Really?...I'm guessing you're having fun here because what argument could someone possibly have for replacing an st tire with a higher rated st tire being a bad idea.
Didn't say it WOULD BE, said it COULD BE.

As far as arguments go, consider the following: Higher ratings usually (but not always) go hand in hand with higher design pressure. Higher pressure impose higher tire forces on the chassis and suspension. Higher ratings without the designed higher pressure can mean excessive sidewall flex and poor tire patch contact and control. The manufacturer specifies a tire in cooperation with tire manufacturers that takes load range (min to max), suspension design, and control into account. The only justification for increasing the load rating is to account for higher than design loads (which is a bad idea to begin with).

Now, consider again my choice of words. COULD BE is not the same as "would be". Tire load ranges usually overlap. Therefore, it is sometimes desirable to increase the tire load rating if the trailer is always loaded near its maximum rating. But again, the manufacturer chooses load ratings and tire pressures that satisfy all loads within the design ratings so this isn't really necessary.

For those who do like to use a higher tire rating than specified by the manufacturer, here is something to think about.... What pressure should you inflate the tire to? The one on the sidewall of the tire, or the one on the trailer tire placard, or your own recipe? Also, didn't you ever wonder why there is a tire placard on the trailer? Tire placards are there because the motor vehicle safety standards require it. They require it because tire design and pressure ratings are all safety related parameters. They shouldn't usually be messed with unless you are an engineer with a thorough understanding of how all these factors affect the safe operation of the trailer.

Anyway, my advice is to trust the manufacturer. They put a lot more into the choice of tire than we might all think. If you really want to upgrade your tires, buy a premium tire with the same load parameters.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
I'd like to comment on your first paragraph. You are giving the end manufacturer way too much credit. Companies like Forest River approach a chassis builder like Lippert and tell them the specs with an estimated weight figures & dimensions. Then Lippert orders axles in bulk for the chassis they're going to build. Most cases another company supplies wheel/tire combos for a specific weight axle. Unless Forest River specs it out in a specific request for a certain tire, then it is upto Lippert or the axle supplier to throw on whatever tire/wheel comes in. Some higher end manufacturers have spec'd out LT tires for good reason.
By the time the trailer is built for a customer it can weigh more than what the tires and axles supplied are even rated for at capacity. This has happened. I would not put the manufacturers on a pedestal because they're main thing in mind is cost. If they can save 20 bucks a tire by putting on a marginal barely capable tire or axle or chassis for that matter, they will & have done so.
My next response to your second paragraph, you said yourself you are aware of all the testing that goes into a motorized vehicle tire for dependability, quality, safety, ect.... trailer tires, not so much. Is there any? The way they don't last and grenade how could they have been? There's a reason it says right on ST tires "For Trailer Use Only" and I strongly believe it is because the manufacturers know the ST tires are bombs and they don't want lawsuits from an ST tire failing causing a motorized passenger vehicle to crash. If a trailer tire blows out, no big deal. But if a truck tire manufacturer consistently has blow outs it's going to be a big deal. (Ford/Firestone)
ST tires Special Trailer Service (ST) are not even required to be UTQG rated. (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) Maybe they should be.
Please if anyone has links for videos or supporting documentation for tire testing performed on ST trailer use tires I'd like to see them.
I expect that you are correct to question the expertise the trailer folks have. However, they can't sell a trailer that doesn't meet the safety standards. I'm betting they rely on the expertise of the engineers at the tire manufacturers. Either way, I doubt that any of us know better than they do. All of your examples are excellent evidence of why it isn't a good Idea to think we do.

I really don't want to get into a huge debate about all this. I just think it's best to buy a quality tire from a reputable manufacturer and stay within the original equipment specifications.
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, tires, trailer, truck