Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:43 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
The “tire shop’s” responsibility ended when they assured the fitment to the wheels was/is a proper fitment
Yep...which is what I prefer anyway.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #122
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Some of you guys have an argument for everything...

No matter what it is...
Old 11-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrippingDuo View Post
I grew tired of the China bombs and went to truck tires. No problems with them and we've put over 15K miles on them over 5 years. I'll stick with truck tires.

Though 15K miles is what engineers call "statistically insignificant" or "not statistically significant." That means 15K is not a meaningful test. Surely truck tires will work just fine for most users. Any failures of truck tires from scrubbing and other stresses that trailers impose on them will be rare. But, engineers somewhere along the line decided that trailers impose a different duty on tires than trucks do and so designed a tire for that type of duty.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susquatch View Post

. . . . . . . .

For those who don't understand the relationship between load rating, actual load, and tire pressure, I still believe it is best to buy quality tires that comply with the OEM recommendations for both load rating and pressure on the tire placard affixed to the trailer.

I am totally opposed to the idea of using truck tires instead of trailer tires without the benefit of a qualified expert engineer's advice.

I agree. Engineers have designed tires specifically for trailer duty. That effort surely involved a lot of testing, far more than the collective experience of members of this forum. And it was done in a proper engineering manner. I for one am not going to question them.

However, I would not argue with a sensible upgrade such as moving up a load range from the manufacturer's tire placard if, as in my case, the factory tires are at 90% of rating. This needs to be done properly which means using the tire manufacturer's load-pressure table to choose the proper pressure for the higher rated ST tires. Those tables were prepared by engineers with in-depth knowledge of tire design and behavior that we don't have. Thinking you know more than the tire manufacturer's engineers or that you don't need their help can lead to wear or handling issues.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
However, I would not argue with a sensible upgrade such as moving up a load range from the manufacturer's tire placard if, as in my case, the factory tires are at 90% of rating. This needs to be done properly which means using the tire manufacturer's load-pressure table to choose the proper pressure for the higher rated ST tires. Those tables were prepared by engineers with in-depth knowledge of tire design and behavior that we don't have. Thinking you know more than the tire manufacturer's engineers or that you don't need their help can lead to wear or handling issues.
Exactly! I made that point earlier in another post on this thread too. Upgrading the rating can be appropriate if your trailer is consistely loaded near the top of its rated load (as most travel trailers probably are). But this should only be done if you follow the tire manufacturers charts to match the inflation to the load. It could be risky to simply increase the rating without adjusting the pressure accordingly.

Unfortunately, I doubt most RVers do that. Most probably just upgrade the rating and then use the pressure listed on the trailers tire placard. Even that might be ok most of the time, but why take that risk? For most users, I think it's better (less risky) to just stick with the manufacturers tire rating recommendations and pressures.

PS - I like your choice of wording for this somewhat "touchy" thread. Very professional. Happy travels.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #126

Should st tires be outlawed?

All you guys trying to tell us that "ST" tires are unsafe:

If you REALLY think that ST tires are unsafe, why are you not going to your legislators and newspapers to get ST tires outlawed? Why are you not going to the big rig trucking companies and sharing your expertise? Since they are using ST tires by the millions, far more than us RVers, aren't they they ones risking your lives?

If you really feel ST tires are unsafe, then go somewhere else to complain. Those of us who use properly use ST tires have heard what you have to say, taken it into account, given it the weight it deserves

I'll defend your right to keep saying it, but I sure am tired of seeing it over and over, over and over, ad infinitum, ad nauseam. Have a little consideration please.

Thank You.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #127
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
All you guys trying to tell us that "ST" tires are unsafe:

If you REALLY think that ST tires are unsafe, why are you not going to your legislators and newspapers to get ST tires outlawed? Why are you not going to the big rig trucking companies and sharing your expertise? Since they are using ST tires by the millions, far more than us RVers, aren't they they ones risking your lives?

If you really feel ST tires are unsafe, then go somewhere else to complain. Those of us who use properly use ST tires have heard what you have to say, taken it into account, given it the weight it deserves

I'll defend your right to keep saying it, but I sure am tired of seeing it over and over, over and over, ad infinitum, ad nauseam. Have a little consideration please.

Thank You.
UNSUBSCRIBE. [emoji79] Then you won't have to read it.
Safety isn't the concern for me. My truck will drag a blown out tire just as straight down the road as a good tire.
I don't want the $2k+ bill from the carnage when the ST blows out while travelling the eastern U.S.
LT's for Life!
Old 11-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #128
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Safety isn't the concern for me. My truck will drag a blown out tire just as straight down the road as a good tire.
I don't want the $2k+ bill from the carnage when the ST blows out while travelling the eastern U.S.
LT's for Life!
I've got news for you...

LT tires blow, too!

And they'll cause $4K of damage instead of $2K of damage!

It all depends on if you have the right ST tire for the job at hand...not LT vs. ST!
Old 11-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #129

Quote:
LT's for Life!

X2....Well said....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
Old 11-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #130
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I've got news for you...

LT tires blow, too!

And they'll cause $4K of damage instead of $2K of damage!

It all depends on if you have the right ST tire for the job at hand...not LT vs. ST!
Well no kidding, nothing is bulletproof anything can happen.
I'll take my life experiences running LT235/85r16's on trucks and trailers with having only 1 tread delamination (did not blow) compared to the ST's sometimes not lasting 6 months and continue traveling worry free.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #131

Quote:
LT's for Life!
Are you seriously trying to convince us that when an LT blows and whips the bottom of your trailer to death it won't cost you $2,000 or more?

Got news for you, the heavier the tire carcass the more damage it does when it fails and I've seen container loads of failed LT type tires in my career. ALL tires fail when overloaded, under inflated, overheated (speed), and abused. They all have their share of factory defects as well.

Here's another tidbit for people to digest. Tubeless tires as a rule do not BLOW OUT like old tube type tires. They usually start to go flat and drivers don't notice on towed vehicles. After running under-inflated for a while the tire heats up and comes apart. The "Blam, flapp, flapp, flapp, they hear is when the tire finally comes apart but it started the process long before.
That's why a TPMS is one of the best "upgrades" one can install on their trailer. It will tell you that you have a tire failure in your near future BEFORE it happens regardless of whether it's an ST or LT.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 11-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #132
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Are you seriously trying to convince us that when an LT blows and whips the bottom of your trailer to death it won't cost you $2,000 or more?

Got news for you, the heavier the tire carcass the more damage it does when it fails and I've seen container loads of failed LT type tires in my career. ALL tires fail when overloaded, under inflated, overheated (speed), and abused. They all have their share of factory defects as well.

Here's another tidbit for people to digest. Tubeless tires as a rule do not BLOW OUT like old tube type tires. They usually start to go flat and drivers don't notice on towed vehicles. After running under-inflated for a while the tire heats up and comes apart. The "Blam, flapp, flapp, flapp, they hear is when the tire finally comes apart but it started the process long before.
That's why a TPMS is one of the best "upgrades" one can install on their trailer. It will tell you that you have a tire failure in your near future BEFORE it happens regardless of whether it's an ST or LT.
No, a blow out is a blowout.
Don't know why folks can't grasp it but what I referred to was the frequency of ST blowouts and the likelyhood of a blow out while using an ST is far greater than using an LT. That's why so many people use TPMS in conjunction with ST's! Because it happens, alot!
Old 11-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
All you guys trying to tell us that "ST" tires are unsafe......over and over, over and over, ad infinitum, ad nauseam. Have a little consideration please.......Thank You.
I don't think it's "all you guys" and most, I think, don't believe all ST tires are crap. The Sailun tire is a good example and now maybe the GY Endurance. If you don't want to participate in the sometimes spirited back and forth, perhaps you should skip by any thread with the word "tire" in it. And thank you.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #134

2XX
Old 11-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #135

Quote:
No, a blow out is a blowout.
Don't know why folks can't grasp it but what I referred to was the frequency of ST blowouts and the likelyhood of a blow out while using an ST is far greater than using an LT. That's why so many people use TPMS in conjunction with ST's! Because it happens, alot!
I think you should petition NHTSA to change the rules. I am sure that they would be most interested in seeing any credible study that shows that LT tires are less likely to have a problem than properly loaded and maintained ST tires. I'm sure that they would be equally interested in any study that shows that blowouts are not a safety problem to other people on the highway no matter how big the tank is that is towing the trailer.......

I'm sure that approach would be way more effective than trying to undermine the confidence of other RVers on this forum. For my part, I vastly prefer to take the advice of engineers and government safety experts over the anecdotal expertise of any RVer who thinks they know better. Therefore, I'm gunna continue to recommend high quality ST tires that conform to the information on the manufacturers tire placard.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #136
Site Team

Site Team Note:

Thank you for playing. Of the 12,519 possible comments on this subject, 12,514 have been made. As with most of the topics such as this, after a few pages of maybe useful info, they morph into sniping posts. Nothing new has been added in the last few pages and the entire thread is very similar to previous threads on the same topic. The site team has closed the thread.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, tires, trailer, truck