Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer Towing Course

We haven't picked it up yet but we have purchased a Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl. We are super excited about starting this adventure on the road. Here's the thing, it has been 40 years since I towed a large trailer more than a hundred miles so to say I'm a little rusty is an understatement. My question, does anyone have any recommendations for a travel trailer driving course?

I've looked online but all the courses I've found are 5 or 6 months out or 3 to 5 states away. I feel once I've driven that far the course would just be a refresher or I'd have unlearn some bad habits. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Billy
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #2

Good Luck with that. None anywhere close to me. Not sure where you are located. But you might start with your RV dealer for suggestions.

There are a few YouTube videos, some good some not so much.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #3

Hi Revbilly, what will you be pulling the new trailer with?
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Always Learning

The best thing my dealer did was they sent me on a 30-40 minute drive with the truck + camper with one of their techs riding shotgun. He gave me pointers and tips as we went.

Maybe ask your dealer for something like that?
Old 04-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

Honestly, I would start with selective videos from Youtube that are geared towards travel trailers. Then, go out and start slow until you get more comfortable.

Here's one that I think is good. The RV Education 101 channel and website have great information on towing and trailer safety:

https://youtu.be/kjBKAOknKmE

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #6

Is it the "Escapees Club" in Texas that has the "RV Bootcamp"? This might be for you? Youroo!!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum. Bought our first TT last fall, and shakedown trip was in a pull through spot Towing wasn't bad, but I will be practicing 'backing into spots' at our church this spring. Have fun.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 w/ 3.5L ecoboost, 10 spd transmission and max tow package.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
Old 04-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
Welcome to the forum. Bought our first TT last fall, and shakedown trip was in a pull through spot Towing wasn't bad, but I will be practicing 'backing into spots' at our church this spring. Have fun.
The day we pick up our TT and go thru the dealer training we head out about 30 miles away. Our first stay is in a pull through. Then back to the house to finish packing it up. I'll have to back into our driveway. That's my biggest worry. There are a couple of church parking lots I can practice in before getting the the campsite and on the way home. Thanks for all the advice. RVeducation.com, YouTube and your advice have really helped.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The best thing my dealer did was they sent me on a 30-40 minute drive with the truck + camper with one of their techs riding shotgun. He gave me pointers and tips as we went.

Maybe ask your dealer for something like that?
I will definitely do that.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Is it the "Escapees Club" in Texas that has the "RV Bootcamp"? This might be for you? Youroo!!
Believe it or not the next RV Bootcamp is May 24-26, in Sedalia MO.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #12

MillMitch did the same that I did when we moved from a pup to a 30' trailer. I have two high schools close by and was able to go on a saturday morning and spend a couple of hours backing it up, turning it around obstacles. When I got back home, it took me about 10 seconds to get it up the driveway and put it exactly where I wanted it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #13

Go to a large parking lot where there is plenty of room to turn going forward then use aisle and the lines of the parking spot to practice backing up. I would do this with the WDH engaged and disengaged as the trailer response to turning will be different. Because of this difference I remove my bars when backing into my narrow drive so I can make a sharper turn.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:20 PM   #14

I went from zero to Rockwood 2906 WS. It's a tad over 33 feet overall. Our first night was a complimentary stay near the dealer. They had a camp host waiting to help us back in. Then we got home, and fortunately, I have a big enough lot and an 18' wide slot to put it in, so I was golden. Our next 5 or so trips involved pull throughs. So, I guess I have had it easy.

Here's what I would do:
  1. Whichever spouse is going to drive should pre-emptively apologize for not listenting to directions
  2. Whichever spouse is going to direct should pre-emptively apologize for yelling because they don't feel like they are "being heard"
  3. I recommend using cell phones on speaker. That way you don't have to fumble with a button.
  4. Be prepared to take a lot of trips around the block.
  5. As soon as you start to back in, make note of where you are so on your next attempt you can be someplace else.
  6. Don't be afraid to take an hour to get it done. An hour with no scratches is a win.
  7. Just relax, watch some youtube videos, get a feel for that "hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move up on the side you want it to go" rule

Backing in is not the biggest risk, IMHO. In that scenario you are moving slow, have a spotter and can always drive forward out, and try again.Failure to go deep enough into a corner and cutting it too short is a much bigger risk. That's the one that scare me.

Oh, and watch out for the 11'8" bridge.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
I went from zero to Rockwood 2906 WS. It's a tad over 33 feet overall. Our first night was a complimentary stay near the dealer. They had a camp host waiting to help us back in. Then we got home, and fortunately, I have a big enough lot and an 18' wide slot to put it in, so I was golden. Our next 5 or so trips involved pull throughs. So, I guess I have had it easy.

Here's what I would do:
  1. Whichever spouse is going to drive should pre-emptively apologize for not listenting to directions
  2. Whichever spouse is going to direct should pre-emptively apologize for yelling because they don't feel like they are "being heard"
  3. I recommend using cell phones on speaker. That way you don't have to fumble with a button.
  5. As soon as you start to back in, make note of where you are so on your next attempt you can be someplace else.
  6. Don't be afraid to take an hour to get it done. An hour with no scratches is a win.
  7. Just relax, watch some youtube videos, get a feel for that "hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move up on the side you want it to go" rule

Backing in is not the biggest risk, IMHO. In that scenario you are moving slow, have a spotter and can always drive forward out, and try again.Failure to go deep enough into a corner and cutting it too short is a much bigger risk. That's the one that scare me.

The wife and I couldn't stop laughing at your wise and sage advice. Thank you. Sounds like the key to all of this is the same one for life: A keen sense of humor and patience.

Our only question is where did you hide the camera to listen in on our conversations?

Old 04-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbilly View Post
The wife and I couldn't stop laughing at your wise and sage advice. Thank you. Sounds like the key to all of this is the same one for life: A keen sense of humor and patience.

Our only question is where did you hide the camera to listen in on our conversations?
If nothing else, the next time she gets mad, you can point her back to this thread and say "Look honey, it's not just me. These issues are indicative of the species. All us guys are like this."

Yeah. That'll help. I'm sure of it...........

But back to the thread topic: Patience and practice. If you can get some cones and set them up in a church lot that will help. Learn to "drive the trailer wheels". Don't fixate on them, but focus on the line you want them to take and make them do that.

Oh, and you have to turn the steering wheel A LOT back and forth sometimes. The tracks my front wheels make in the drive sometimes end up looking like Snoopy's figure skating patterns. The front of my truck has to move a lot to make the back of the camper move a little.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #17
Always Learning

Instead of traffic cones, you can use red solo cups filled with water for ballast. Cheap and easy to have a bunch.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Instead of traffic cones, you can use red solo cups filled with water for ballast. Cheap and easy to have a bunch.
What waste a good red solo cup.. oh wait you did say filled with water ...... never mind carry on................

Sorry ................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post

Here's what I would do:

I drove under that bridge yesterday after having lunch with family. I never have understood how people think they can fit under the bridge. Not only are there the fixed signs shown in the video but at intersections well before the one in the video. Add in the flashing sign that only flashes when you are over height and I can only say the people deserve what they get. One other thing is the white ruck in the middle that makes you think he did the right thing and turn left away from the bridge. That road is one-way so he turned into oncoming traffic before turning around and colliding with the safety structure before the bridge.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer