Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 05:10 PM   #1

Travel trailer vs 5th wheel

We have a Rockwood 2608 SB travel trailer that we have taken across the country twice without any problems towing. Although we don’t have any problems towing the travel trailer our daughter in law keeps telling us that if we got a 5th wheel it would be so much easier to tow and we would never go back to a travel trailer. I am looking for opinions from travelers that have towed both. What they feel are the pros and cons of both.
Rpod 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I've had both. Fiver did tow better but I had a dully and it was very stable and never had problems with trucks passing you and sucking you in. TT always had to watch for trucks getting ready to pass you as they would tend to pull you towards them. I like the tt even tho I lost a lot of storage space. One reason I went to a tt later was the DW had issues with the steps going to bed room or bathroom. Now that she passed I bought a new 5er as I like the layout more room which I really don't need. I do not have a dully anymore so we shall see how it handles on the road. So far, as far as I've towed it is from the dealer to home about 6 miles and still putting everything back into the camper that I took out of the old one. Probably will not make a camping trip till March. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Team

We've had both and they both have towed great. I wouldn't say that the 5er tows any better than the TT's did. I wouldn't base a buying decision just because it's a 5er alone.

Pick a floorplan and amenities that you like and don't worry about whether it's a 5er or TT. Properly set up with the right TV, they're both going to tow great.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

I have a TT for several reasons...Mainly because I like having my truck bed accessible for when I am not camping and to to carry the stuff I take when camping and not have concern myself with moving the 5th wheel hitch around.

I suppose if I had enough storage area on a 5th wheel that would work however, The 5th wheels I like would require me to have to get a one ton truck probably dually and that isn't going to happen anytime soon
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
Coach

We've towed both. Given enough truck, either go down the highway just fine. I find a fifth wheel a bit easier to back up. Not so much so that I would buy one for that reason only. We also like the additional storage space. Downsides are they are generally quite tall. Don't see too many under 13' these days, so you have to be pretty aware of any off the beaten paths.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #6

I learned that, at least in CA, you are allowed to have people in a fifth wheel while traveling as long as they can communicate with the tow vehicle; no can do with a travel trailer.

Because pick-up truck beds are getting higher and deeper, some fifth wheels may not tow level.

My wife has no difficulty driving with a travel trailer in tow, but she has no interest in towing a fifth wheel because she feel intimidated by their height and mass.

I wish our travel trailer had the increased storage offered by fifth wheels - especially space for a genset - because we often have the back of the one ton van we tow with stuffed to the gills with stuff that there's no room for in the trailer.
Paul Dershem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #7

To each their own. We've had 4 5ers, and now first TT. Knees like TT much better. No steps up to BR. I miss the storage space somewhat. By that I mean, the layout of our TT has a rear bunk room with slide out. Perfect for when kids visit, or just storing my fishing equipment.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #8

As others have stated; have had both. I think that towing either can be easy, or hard...depending on your level of ability. However give me the added comforts of a fifth wheel, high ceilings throughout, larger bedroom, king-size bed, washer and dryer hookup, full size refrigerator, on and on.
Lake5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #9

Where do you put the canoe with a 5?
jbrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #10

We’ve had them all too. Moved from the F250 4x4 diesel/fifth wheel combo to a small motor home and will never go back. A bit less storage but the lower steps, cupboards I can reach and generator more than make up for it. No interest in ever full timing and when I went through all the crap I was hauling around in the fifth wheel and thinned it out I have empty cupboards in the Moho.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #11

CANOE

Guess if I canoed; I'd tie it to the back ladder. Got a feeling if I canoed I be looking at the bottom of the lake as much as the sky. Too old, too fat, too clumsy to canoe. Big and wide bass boat kind of guy.
Lake5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #12

We have had a pop-up, a 23' hybrid TT and 2 5th wheel campers. The 5th wheels were 36' and now 35' so they are much bigger than anything I have towed from the bumper hitch. We went to the 5th wheel because of more room primarily, but not having to deal with the weight distributing hitch was also a factor. (I could still get down to connect it, but getting back up was getting to be more of an issue.) There are definitely trade-offs, but I have had no trouble towing any of mine - first two with a F-150 and the last two with F-250 diesel Fx4. Backing is a little easier with the 5th wheel - primarily because it pivots right over the rear axle instead of several feet behind it.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #13

Regardless of what your daughter in law says, what do you want? If you are happy with what you have, why in the world would you change.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #14

Had both

Yes, there are pros and cons to both. No sway with the 5th wheel. More storage in the 5th wheel. We love our layout. That said yes the hitch is a bear and takes the bed up. With two air conditioners I have to watch the height. and now that we are 39' instead of 26' and 50 amp vs. 30 amp. There are some places we can't go. I liked the TT and our present rig. Get what you like. I tow one day then I camp for 6. The insides should make your decision.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Regardless of what your daughter in law says, what do you want? If you are happy with what you have, why in the world would you change.

^^X2. I was wanting to go with a FW because of space and layout. DH didn't want to give up his truck bed space. My dad say FW is the only way to go (former truck driver), but my brother told me that for the kind of places and type of camping we do a TT is better (he has a FW and is a truck driver). So everyone has an opinion and only you can decide what you like. If your TT is paid off, that is something I would take into consideration. That's the biggest factor with me staying with the TT. I would rather use the money to go somewhere.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #16

Like My Travel Trailer

We have an 2019 Ultra Lite Rockwood 2606 and love it. We travel south for seven months every year and find there are lots of places we could not go in a bigger unit. Once on a barge in Louisiana we barely made it with an inch to spare. Here on Mustang Island, Port Aransas, TX for the winter, and the ferry to get off island is closed to fifth wheelers and motorhomes when the tide gets especially low. And there are parts of the California coastline that are too iffy for larger units. Plenty of storage in our 2606 -- and we aren't much for being pack rats anyway. Small dog, two people, everything fits. Husband has a tractor-trailer license so driving the Toyota Tundra and pulling the trailer are not an issue. Plus we fit in our site at the RV park with room to spare, not shoe-horned in and dancing the dance of the butterflies to get into the camper.
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #17

Had both, 100% prefer towing a fifth wheel, even went so far as to buy a fifth wheel car hauler.

One fifth wheel camper was 25 ft the other 36 foot. No site issues with the 25 ft. Both were Pumas.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #18

sounds like you already have plenty of experience pulling your trailer, so I wouldn't worry about what others 'say'... it's your RV, not theirs, and it's your comfort that matters - I certainly wouldn't trade to a fifth-wheel for that sole reason.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #19

Well, I can tell from from experience as I've owned, towed and lived in a 2608BS full time! The 2608 is a great floorplan and we NEVER had an issue towing!

We loved our 2608.

But, we too had people telling us we needed a 5th wheel and would love a 5th wheel, etc, etc. So, we decided to do OUR OWN research and looked at many makes and models of 5th wheel campers.

The bottom line with us -

1) More interior space with opposing slides
2) HUGE basement storage (the 2608 just lacks exterior storage)
3) Larger interior storage and bedroom closets

But, we are fulltimers. If we were still weekend warriors and a few week long trips, we would keep the 2608.

It depends on your usage, but there is no reason not to keep the 2608 if your happy with it. Again, we loved ours!

Good luck and happy camping!
2005 Rockwood 2516G (Sold)
2018 Chevy 2500 6.0 / 4.10's
Anderson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #20

5th wh or TT

Had both, I think the front is too high and the steps inside bad on knees. Move to class c to get dw to do some of the driving, If I was younger I would like to have the 5th wh over the tt.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel