Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
If you do that, wouldn't it reduce the weight transferred to the front axle? Just like raising the rear of the TV with the tongue jack unloads them to make hooking up easier.
It does. That's why I said they shouldn't be used. However, it appears the OP wants them for some reason.. maybe it's to level out the ride or because someone pulling a 5th wheel or Gooseneck told them that they should use them.

If the WD is configured correctly and the vehicle within it's tow limitations, the bags are not needed as the hitch should return the vehicle to an almost level state (the front and rear should settle about the same amount).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #22
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
It does. That's why I said they shouldn't be used. However, it appears the OP wants them for some reason.. maybe it's to level out the ride or because someone pulling a 5th wheel or Gooseneck told them that they should use them.

If the WD is configured correctly and the vehicle within it's tow limitations, the bags are not needed as the hitch should return the vehicle to an almost level state (the front and rear should settle about the same amount).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
That's what I figured but Boomerweps said to inflate them after. IMO that is not good advice for the reason stated.
This is why I figured out what I want my bags inflated to and then set up the hitch. It keeps me off the bump stops and lowers my headlights as a courtesy to oncoming traffic.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:31 PM   #23

Be careful listening to internet experts.

The in coil bags like airlift 1000’s, which are more likely on this type of vehicle, require you to air up first before loading. They rely on partially capturing the spring with outward pressure BEFORE the coils are loaded with towing/hauling weight. You risk blowing the bags if you try to inflate them after as they are lifting more than the rates weight.

Inflating after loading only applies to HD airbags that are independent of the springs or replace the springs.
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #24

Weight distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartin453 View Post
So my wife and I decided to stop and weigh our TT and vehicle on a CAT scale for the first time to get some real numbers. See attached statistics/stickers.

The TT was fully loaded with one full propane tank. The payload was distributed evenly and I only had a quarter tank of gas. I know I should have filled up the tank but I didn’t. The fresh water tank was empty and we only had two vehicle passengers, we may have our two teenagers with us at some point if they ever want to come camping again, but doubtful.

Before I explain my concern this has been my experience pulling the TT (2021 Ibex 19 QBS) with our 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SL with Equalizer sway/distribution hitch, brake control and air bags (inflated to 25 lbs).

Vehicle pulls and stops with ease with little to no sway or chucking. We travel between 55 & 62 mph unless the wind gusts exceed 20 mph, then we slow down.

After weighing the vehicle and TT my steer axle weight was over by 219 lbs but the drive axle was under weight by 1065 lbs.

Any thoughts on a fix other than buying a new truck?

I will deflate the airbags next time to see if that helps.

Attachment 250514Attachment 250515
I don't know what weight distributing hitch you have, but you have lifted intirely to much wieght off the rear of the truck and distributed it to the steer axle of the truck and the axle of the trailer. If you were running level, you need to have the whole hitch readjusted including the ball height.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
And the scale operator didn't tell you that you were not on the scale correctly? …
In my experience CAT scale operators at major truck stops give no assistance to recreational vehicles. They cater to commercial trucks and would rather you weren't even there.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
If you do that, wouldn't it reduce the weight transferred to the front axle? Just like raising the rear of the TV with the tongue jack unloads them to make hooking up easier.
It most certainly does. that is why you should have them at inflated when you set up the hitch. Weight distribution hitches are not meant to level the vehicle, only to return weight to the front of the vehicle.
The scale, with bags at pressure is the best way to set up a hitch. Return front end weight to stock or as close to it without lifting the rear of the vehicle above its stock height.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:17 PM   #27

Here is the proper way to determine the WDH setup. First, weigh the truck alone, with family and expected cargo and a full tank of gas. This gives you your available payload and front axle weight.

Next hookup and back on the scale, bars removed, then once more around with the bars attached.

Goal is to bring the front axle weight back to the unloaded weight or as close as possible, but not MORE.

Now you can see how much TW by subtracting the RAW without bars from the base RAW. And you can see how much was redistributed front and to the trailer.

When you have good numbers, then take a tape measure to the rear wheel well and add air to the bags until you see a slight rise. You should be good to go at that point. Don't air them up to lift the truck or you will completely mess up the WD. A slight rise, 1/16th" or less is all you need for the bags to provide stability.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #28

RV weight stickers

Quote:
Here are the other stickers with the load information.

Attachment 250562
Why do they install the weight stickers on the outside where the sun , washing etc. They get faded and can't read them any more. .. Should be install some where in side out of the elements ..
Julie dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #29

Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie dog View Post
Why do they install the weight stickers on the outside where the sun , washing etc. They get faded and can't read them any more. .. Should be install some where in side out of the elements ..
X2
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
They used to install the weight sticker inside, not that long ago. It was a white sticker and usually on the inside of a cabinet door.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
They used to install the weight sticker inside, not that long ago. It was a white sticker and usually on the inside of a cabinet door.
The sticker containing the VIN and GVWR has always been on the front left corner. I think there is a law pertaining to that.
Available cargo capacity was traditionals on the inside of a cabinet, it is now a yellow sticker on or near the main entrance door.
The tire inflation and capacity sticker is fairly recent and is also mandatory on all vehicles. I think that is a result of the Ford/Firestone debacle.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #32

Quote:

That makes too much sense🤣
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:43 PM   #33

TT Towing Calculation Concern

Quote:
So my wife and I decided to stop and weigh our TT and vehicle on a CAT scale for the first time to get some real numbers. See attached statistics/stickers.

The TT was fully loaded with one full propane tank. The payload was distributed evenly and I only had a quarter tank of gas. I know I should have filled up the tank but I didn’t. The fresh water tank was empty and we only had two vehicle passengers, we may have our two teenagers with us at some point if they ever want to come camping again, but doubtful.

Before I explain my concern this has been my experience pulling the TT (2021 Ibex 19 QBS) with our 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SL with Equalizer sway/distribution hitch, brake control and air bags (inflated to 25 lbs).

Vehicle pulls and stops with ease with little to no sway or chucking. We travel between 55 & 62 mph unless the wind gusts exceed 20 mph, then we slow down.

After weighing the vehicle and TT my steer axle weight was over by 219 lbs but the drive axle was under weight by 1065 lbs.

Any thoughts on a fix other than buying a new truck?

I will deflate the airbags next time to see if that helps.

Attachment 250514Attachment 250515

CAT SCALE WEIGH IN UPDATE:
The latest scale weigh has the vehicle under the max limit by 620 pounds. I believe the discrepancy between the two readouts was due to incorrectly lining the rear wheels of the vehicle on the front and middle scale pads.
[ATTACH]253415[Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	253416
Old 05-03-2021, 05:06 AM   #34

You said it stopped and drove great, and I agree this ticket shows you didn’t line weigh properly so you still might have an overweight front axle
Old 05-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #35

TT Towing Calculation Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
You said it stopped and drove great, and I agree this ticket shows you didn’t line weigh properly so you still might have an overweight front axle

The first ticket I was able to discern that I split the weight not lining up vehicle wheels correctly on the scales.

Below is how I weighed in a few days ago, am I still weighing the vehicle and trailer incorrectly?

This CAT scale has three pads/scales. The first weigh in:

Vehicle on scale 1 (Steer Axle) 5380lbs and trailer on scale 2 (Drive Axle) 4040lbs

Then I reweighed the vehicle and trailer on the scales a second time and had the following number which I updated the post with

Vehicle on scale 2 (Drive Axle) 5380lbs and trailer on scale 3 (Trailer Axle) 4060.

I re-weighed on scale 2&3 based on a suggestion from the nice lady at the scale site.

Thanks for all the new and past comment!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #36

Each axle should be on its own pad. On your weight ticket the whole truck is on the second pad and Trailer axle is on the third.
To get any real information you need three weights.
1. With the truck alone, one axle per pad.
2. With the truck and camper again one axle per pan and the weight distribution bars disconnected or loose.
3. The same as 2 but with the weights distribution system engaged as you would normally operate it going down the road.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #37

Steer axle on pad one, drive axle pad two, trailer pad 3. Or just wait and watch a truck scale and do what they do.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #38

Fortunately you don't need a new truck just need to adjust the hitch as others have said and get your wheels on the right weight pads. Your truck has a 5986 GVWR just stay under that and your good.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmaster View Post
Be careful listening to internet experts.
I could not agree more. Think of them as guys sitting at your local saloon offering their 2 cents, some will have good suggestions others not so much. Always verify from multiple sources.

Safe travels.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #40
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat456 View Post
The sticker containing the VIN and GVWR has always been on the front left corner. I think there is a law pertaining to that.
Available cargo capacity was traditionals on the inside of a cabinet, it is now a yellow sticker on or near the main entrance door.
The tire inflation and capacity sticker is fairly recent and is also mandatory on all vehicles. I think that is a result of the Ford/Firestone debacle.
Not so fast.

The 1989 32' Wilderness and the 2005 27' Timberlodge tt's we had never had the stickers on the outside. On the Wilderness there wasn't any VIN, GWR, CCC or tire loading sticker anywhere but the VIN was welded into the hitch a-frame. The Timberlodge had a plain white VIN, GWR, CCC and tire loading sticker in a kitchen cabinet door and the VIN was stamped into the hitch a-frame.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing