Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #1

TT with auto leveling

Hi all,

I am very curious about auto leveling and what travel trailers have them. Are they as good as the ones on fifth wheels? Is this something that will be on more and more as the technology rolls out?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2020, 06:31 PM   #2

Rockwood/Flagstaff units with the heavy frames can be ordered with the Auto Level! After you learn the system it works very good! Youroo!!
Old 11-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Rockwood/Flagstaff units with the heavy frames can be ordered with the Auto Level! After you learn the system it works very good! Youroo!!

Thank you. I’ll check them out. I googled it but could not find many that had them. Wonder if it’s not yet widely available. Also are they the same as auto stabilizer?
Old 11-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #4

Stabilizing and leveling are not the same thing. Stabilizer jacks are put down after the trailer is level to keep it from swaying around as you use it. Leveling jacks are just that, they level the trailer AND add stability. You should not use your stabilizers to attempt to level a trailer.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Stabilizing and leveling are not the same thing. Stabilizer jacks are put down after the trailer is level to keep it from swaying around as you use it. Leveling jacks are just that, they level the trailer AND add stability. You should not use your stabilizers to attempt to level a trailer.

Thanks. I was aware of that with manual scissors jacks but I wasn’t sure if the electric ones are the same ones used for auto level just beefier. They look kinda similar.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #6

I havent had a 5er with auto level, but we have a different OE TT with the Bal auto level and we love it. Put pads down under the legs, push the auto level button and grab an adult beverage.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mch5jdm View Post
Thanks. I was aware of that with manual scissors jacks but I wasn’t sure if the electric ones are the same ones used for auto level just beefier. They look kinda similar.
They are the same and not beefier. In fact, i know some folks that prefer the manual stabilizers. My electric stabilizers are slow, I'll tell you that.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #8

Friends of ours have a Cougar with a 4 point level up system and they love it. It's electric so it's a bit slower than the hydraulic type but it gets the job done. The fronts are similar to scissor jacks and rears are ram rods.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
CGK
Camping with Labs

We have the 4-point auto leveling system on our Rockwood and love it. I agree with youroo that there is a learning curve - you can bet I was more than a little nervous the first time, when toward the end of the auto leveling process the A-frame electric jack began retracting! But it has worked flawlessly so far, and it is a very nice upgrade. Pretty sure this is the same type of system used in the 5ers, although all but the smaller ones probably have the 6-point auto leveling system. I don't think I'd make a purchasing decision based only upon my ability to get the auto-level, but it could seal the deal if I found the right floor plan, etc. and the unit could be upgraded to include auto-leveling (ours came with it, but was a distinct selling point for us). Good luck with your search!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
llr

CGK, how is the leveling system for stability? I have the Flagstaff version of your TT and have been trying to figure out if it is worth it to change over.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #11

As Roo and CGK pointed out a bit of learning

Park, chock, unhook, move truck, push button on TT level system and let it do its thing

Works great and its very stable once completed
Old 11-20-2020, 05:27 PM   #12
CGK
Camping with Labs

llr - our TT is very stable with auto-level engaged...more so than our previous TT (SOB-Keystone Outback) that had manual stabilizer jacks. That said, our loaded Rockwood is about 1500 lbs heavier than the Outback, so you'd probably expect less movement. We also have the Mor-ryde steps, which are rock solid, so we don't have the bouncing when we go up and down the steps. We added Snap Pads to all 4 leveler "feet", since some campgrounds require pads when the campsite has a concrete pad; but I doubt that plays any part in the stability. We are very pleased with auto-level, but it is a matter of personal preference of course. Hopefully, you can get some other opinions; and if you decide to go that route, enjoy!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
CGK, how is the leveling system for stability? I have the Flagstaff version of your TT and have been trying to figure out if it is worth it to change over.

Good question.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #14

Check out Quadra manufacturing in White Pigeon, Michigan. They manufacture, sell and install Bigfoot hydraulic leveling systems for all types of RVs. I had a four point installed on our new Surveyor travel trailer last month. Tongue jack is there but no longer needed with this system and much more stable than stab jacks. They will ship kit for user install, but I found it was definitely worth the 9 hour drive to have it professionally done in a few hours. They have RV spots with electrical for overnight stay the night before the appointment. Plenty to do during install, I drove around and checked out all of the RV manufacturing facilities in the area.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:54 PM   #15

I installed (myself) the lippert auto level on my travel trailer. The system works great but there are limitations. If you are on a left to right slope they system may require blocks under the pads or they will go out of stroke. Also if you use block and they aren't needed the system won't have the leverage to lift the trailer appropriately.

It works really well! It was a pain to install but it has drastically reduced our setup and tear down time.

If you can get a trailer with it installed, do it!

Atcbrownie
atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling