Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Upgrading what would you do differently...

My husband and I are looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel with a bunk house room for our two year old. We also have two dogs and cats and travel year round with no home base. Currently we have a Cherokee lite 28 foot travel trailer and it's getting tight. My question is for all the people who have bought trailers or fifth wheels and then after the fact say, "on my next one I want...". What is ... For you? I'd love to hear suggestions on what others are looking for in their next rig!
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanpottery View Post
My husband and I are looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel with a bunk house room for our two year old. We also have two dogs and cats and travel year round with no home base. Currently we have a Cherokee lite 28 foot travel trailer and it's getting tight. My question is for all the people who have bought trailers or fifth wheels and then after the fact say, "on my next one I want...". What is ... For you? I'd love to hear suggestions on what others are looking for in their next rig!

Everyone has to make concessions as not every unit comes with everything. For my concession was the location of the TV in the living room (I liked the set up in the Columbus 385 I believe it was, and for DW it was the island in the kitchen (along with the full complete sofa set up in the 385 as well), we gave these options up for the storage on the back wall of the bunkhouse as the others didnt seem to have nearly the storage that we wanted. So on my next one, I will say I want a better located tv and island (hopefully by then, kids are out of the house as I plan on having this one for awhile) and get a rear living room with island kitchen fireplace and pop up TV. But bunkhouse limits you a bit.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
We just did what you are asking and the answer to your question is...after a careful search for our perfect 5er, we bought exactly what we wanted, all the bells & whistles that fit our desires & budget. We had made sacrifices on our last trailer but decided that would not happen this time around. For instance, take our Satellite, we installed the Winegard Travler instead of making do with a portable tailgater unit. Are there things we would do different now that we own it, no, not really, but we have modified a lot of small things to make it ours. Last count we have about 40 little mods over the past 2 months since taking delivery, some things we bought, others, DH made in his shop. Are we done? Are you ever done?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #4

I would like to have a bunkhouse with 2nd bath. The second bath should have both outside access and bunkhouse access. Plus, I want an outside kitchen that has both grill and 2 burner stove. And to top off the list, an outside TV - doesn't matter if it's in storage compartment or outside kitchen. I saw the floor plan for a 5ver like this and loved it. Soon as I hit lotto I'll buy the truck I need to pull it and my dream RV.😉
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots
I would like to have a bunkhouse with 2nd bath. The second bath should have both outside access and bunkhouse access. Plus, I want an outside kitchen that has both grill and 2 burner stove. And to top off the list, an outside TV - doesn't matter if it's in storage compartment or outside kitchen. I saw the floor plan for a 5ver like this and loved it. Soon as I hit lotto I'll buy the truck I need to pull it and my dream RV.?de09
Sounds like a 365SAQ :roflback:
Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I love our 365saq. The opposing slides in the bunkhouse is great for kids/teens! They can sit/play on bunks/floor without feeling cramped. Had 4 15/16yr girls back there for a week in FL and there were times I didn't know they were around. Love the outdoor kitchen, but I could do without the outside microwave. Would much rather have the taller counter space.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #7

We have the Rockwood 8281ss 5er. Bunk room with half bath. Grand kids love it. Must get 15k air conditioner.
cmcallaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #8

What I wish our unit had:
A tub, not just the shower. Kids need to soak. My make do solution, a grey restaurant bus pan (Rubbermaid from Sam's Club), works, but is awkward to empty.
There are 5 of us and frankly we do not need a second bathroom. A U shaped dinette would be a a huge improvement.
We are not full time, but I will probably get one of those portable washers - we had one at a vacation house and they work for small loads. I am also eyeing an electric spinner
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanpottery View Post
We "upgraded" or rather changed to a 2012 8528RKWS and just love it. Tows great and is perfect for the two of us.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan
What I wish our unit had:
A tub, not just the shower. Kids need to soak. My make do solution, a grey restaurant bus pan (Rubbermaid from Sam's Club), works, but is awkward to empty.
There are 5 of us and frankly we do not need a second bathroom. A U shaped dinette would be a a huge improvement.
We are not full time, but I will probably get one of those portable washers - we had one at a vacation house and they work for small loads. I am also eyeing an electric spinner

I agree with everything except the U shaped only because it increases the size of the dining area but with that said, it makes the couch unbearably smaller. I had one in my last unit and i could barely sit down, let alone try and lay on the couch. Im only 5'8" and if i tried to lay down to watch tv or relax my knees couldnt even fit. One option i do like is the couch/dining in the columbus 385bhs or the 365SAQ party couch and dining area. Only four of us so i was ok with the standard set up
Old 08-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #11

I want more and/or bigger windows and a deeper slide
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote