Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2021, 10:57 AM   #1

Want to know your experiences before I buy

I am considering upgrading from a Blue Ridge to either a Montana or Cedar Creek Campaign. I have been reading various reviews on the Montana and Cedar creek and they have not been very good reviews. I know we have had lots of issues with the Blue Ridge, but have fixed them all when possible - ourselves, but had to take it into service for propane and the fridge failing to switch from propane to electric properly.

Before I commit the amount of money to a new 5th wheel, I would like to know if anyone has personal experiences (good or bad) that can tell me what they are really like? I am worried about construction quality, storage capability, electronics, etc.
Thank you in advance.
Tracy
coloradotracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:51 AM   #2

Montana is a welded aluminum frame. Cedar Creek is a screwed together aluminum frame. Draw your own conclusions on that. I know my experience with screwing aluminum together. Why not look at another Cardinal?
Scotrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #3

On another forum (IVR2) there is a thread about Keystone 5th wheels, there were 8 response to that question. After the POSTER realize that THOR was the umbral company of Keystone products. He said forget it and would look at Forest River 5ER'S.

I own a Cedar Creek 34RL unit and could not be happier with my trailer. This was purchased in mid-2015 and is considered a 2016 model. I have towed my trailer for over 30,000 miles having had a couple of issue with the trailer. But everything has been fixed either under warranty or in good faith by Forest River. Such as having both front and rear end caps being repainted and decaled in Jan of 2019 with no cost to me.

The other issues were with 2nd Tier suppliers such as the fireplace, a new one was installed in Jan 2019. The Fantastic fan cover crack this was replaced free of charge. Several issues with the Irvine Shade and Door Company with the Slow-Rise Roller Shades. The plastic brackets that support the shades tend to fail. The brackets have been replaced free of charge by Irvine Shade and Door CO. You just need to reinstall them yourself which is no problem for me.

Would I buy another Cedar Creek; YES! Would I buy a another Thor product such as Keystone trailer, NO!!!
Old 01-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #4

Thank you! I didn’t know there was this difference. I assume the screwed together one would vibrate loose or tear?
Old 01-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
BMullins46

The Cedar Creek is screwed AND glued so you get the benefits of both. I have not heard of any framing problems with the Cedar Creek. Have you been to the International FROG rally? One of the things that has been available is a plant tour of the various models. I was very impressed with the Cedar Creek tour and would have considered buying one if they had had the floor plan that we needed for my wife's handicap needs. FR is very serious about customer satisfaction, from the post I've seen Thot/Keystone not so much. I'd go Cedar Creek. Good luck.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #6

We have a 2015 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS that has had very few problems that were either taken care of by the dealer, the rally or by myself.
The welded frames can crack at the welds were the screwed ones are able to flex. Also Cedar Creek uses an adhesive I believe called Sliperine at each joint.
If you can find it there is a construction video put out by Cedar Creek.
If your going to be full timing I would look at a Riverstone.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #7

@BM Welder Thank you! Riverstone? I don’t think I have seen that model and why would you say that would be the best? Just curious? Thank you for the perspectives, I do appreciate it! I don’t know much about frames.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #8

@ BMullins46 Wow! Would have thought screwed frame would be bad but it sounds like it is good? I don’t know much about frames which is why I asked. iustknow that our current RV whenever we move it it seems we have to reattach the trim and all. Very irritating.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #9

Riverstone is the top of the Forest River line. There made with the same wall construction as Cedar Creek and DRV. I have looked them many times and talked too many owners and haven't heard of anything bad.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradotracy View Post
Wow! Would have thought screwed frame would be bad but it sounds like it is good? I don’t know much about frames which is why I asked. iustknow that our current RV whenever we move it it seems we have to reattach the trim and all. Very irritating.
If you will kindly use the QUOTE function, we’ll know to which posts your comments apply. Thanks.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:31 PM   #11

We had a Cedar Creek and had very good luck and any issues were taken care of, then we stepped up to a River Stone Legacy and enjoy it even more, now has it been perfect...no but have always been able to get things taken care of. I now plan a trip to Amish Family RV Service yearly just for a check up and peace of mind, check out the River Stone line and also their Reserve line.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/brand...e/fifth-wheels
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:44 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
On another forum (IVR2) there is a thread about Keystone 5th wheels, there were 8 response to that question. After the POSTER realize that THOR was the umbral company of Keystone products. He said forget it and would look at Forest River 5ER'S.

I own a Cedar Creek 34RL unit and could not be happier with my trailer. This was purchased in mid-2015 and is considered a 2016 model. I have towed my trailer for over 30,000 miles having had a couple of issue with the trailer. But everything has been fixed either under warranty or in good faith by Forest River. Such as having both front and rear end caps being repainted and decaled in Jan of 2019 with no cost to me.

The other issues were with 2nd Tier suppliers such as the fireplace, a new one was installed in Jan 2019. The Fantastic fan cover crack this was replaced free of charge. Several issues with the Irvine Shade and Door Company with the Slow-Rise Roller Shades. The plastic brackets that support the shades tend to fail. The brackets have been replaced free of charge by Irvine Shade and Door CO. You just need to reinstall them yourself which is no problem for me.

Would I buy another Cedar Creek; YES! Would I buy a another Thor product such as Keystone trailer, NO!!!
Thank you so much for this information, follow up and customer service is a big concern for me because these things are not cheap.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
If you will kindly use the QUOTE function, we’ll know to which posts your comments apply. Thanks.
Sorry about that, I was answering and wasn't sure if the quote would cause problems. New to the forum, my apologies. I went back and edited the two posts that weren't clear.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #14

We have a 2020 Cedar Creek 331k Silverback and have been very pleased with it. Very few issues and pretty much minor ones. We used it for 2 1/2 months a year ago traveling from Oregon to Arizona, Baja and back so it did get a bit of use. We've had two bumper pulls, one being a Keystone and now two Fivers - the last being a Heartland Big Country. Our CC has been the best so far. Big factor is DEALER SERVICE...some say more important than the brand. Good luck and have fun shopping.
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannjim View Post
We have a 2020 Cedar Creek 331k Silverback and have been very pleased with it. Very few issues and pretty much minor ones. We used it for 2 1/2 months a year ago traveling from Oregon to Arizona, Baja and back so it did get a bit of use. We've had two bumper pulls, one being a Keystone and now two Fivers - the last being a Heartland Big Country. Our CC has been the best so far. Big factor is DEALER SERVICE...some say more important than the brand. Good luck and have fun shopping.
Thank you! I couldn’t agree more! Which is why I have been so concerned after reading some of the customer reviews at some of the rv sites.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #16

Riverstone

When we went to the rally a couple of years ago we got a "tour" of dblr's Riverstone Legacy (thanks Remme) and then toured the Riverstone plant. Low and behold, we now own a Riverstone Legacy and could not be happier! There's always going to have something go wrong with your unit just like living at home and having to call the plumber, etc. But if you want quality then look at the Riverstone!

John
E John Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by E John Fedor View Post
When we went to the rally a couple of years ago we got a "tour" of dblr's Riverstone Legacy (thanks Remme) and then toured the Riverstone plant. Low and behold, we now own a Riverstone Legacy and could not be happier! There's always going to have something go wrong with your unit just like living at home and having to call the plumber, etc. But if you want quality then look at the Riverstone!

John
Several people have recommended that and I went out to their site and they have some of the same floor plans so we are trying to get pricing on those now! Thank you for the suggestion! I am looking at all this experience out here because I am a newbie!
Old 01-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Several people have recommended that and I went out to their site and they have some of the same floor plans so we are trying to get pricing on those now! Thank you for the suggestion! I am looking at all this experience out here because I am a newbie!
For pricing on the River Stone your best bet is to be willing to travel to get it, some of the best prices are USUALLY found at Couch's RV in Ohio, Terry Town in Mi and we got ours at International RV Service in Elkhart In. In our case there were not many dealers yet but what is nice they are not far from the factory and after pick up most camp in the area for a shakedown then if needed usually you can receive help from the factory or they arrange you to go to Shipshewana to a service center which does great work.

A great small town dealer with very good service is Bill's Happy Camper in Mill Hall Pa. I know quite a few that have purchased there with great results. Good luck on your choice and if I can be of any help about the River Stone line feel free to ask any questions.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
For pricing on the River Stone your best bet is to be willing to travel to get it, some of the best prices are USUALLY found at Couch's RV in Ohio, Terry Town in Mi and we got ours at International RV Service in Elkhart In. In our case there were not many dealers yet but what is nice they are not far from the factory and after pick up most camp in the area for a shakedown then if needed usually you can receive help from the factory or they arrange you to go to Shipshewana to a service center which does great work.

A great small town dealer with very good service is Bill's Happy Camper in Mill Hall Pa. I know quite a few that have purchased there with great results. Good luck on your choice and if I can be of any help about the River Stone line feel free to ask any questions.
I appreciate that, I wish i could travel but that is not an option right now since I am living in the RV and working near where I live. Thank you though for the reply!
Old 01-13-2021, 08:34 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
I appreciate that, I wish i could travel but that is not an option right now since I am living in the RV and working near where I live. Thank you though for the reply!
Then unless you have it delivered from a cheaper Midwest dealer, you going to be stuck with what local dealers have available.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote