Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
Are we there yet.......

Water pressure valve....

Ok. Ok. As I wounded why this peace of hardware is needed if the trailers today are made of state of the art piping why is a pressure regulator necessary? All faucets are now residential quality and even the shower head is as such. That being said. Using the regulator the shower head does not function as designed. How is it that if this regulator is need on all units then how is it not built into the city inlet provided? Just a wonder camper.......

Any camping will do. :-)
Pbalmer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #2

I don't think the plastic lines and fittings used to plumb trailers are designed to take normal household water pressure.
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #3

If I believe the pex tubing is rated in the 100lbs category but the fittings are the different story. You never here about the line busting but its fittings that let go. I set my regulator at 60lbs and never have had an issue, either with my fiver or the MH. Bottom line is it you RV and its up to you.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #4

I have noticed that when I used an inline, cheap, pressure regulator that the water flow diminished terribly. I went to an adjustable high flow regulator and didn't have that issue.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Site Team

I would question the fact that all faucets are residential quality. Lots of plastic faucets especially in outside showers. The problem with the any system is its weakest link. A failure in any portion of the system can be expensive.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

It's not the plastic tubing or the connectors, it's the crimp clamps used to join them. Typically, the plastic is rated for 65psi. My home built in 1994 has all plastic plumbing supply and the air pressure tank on the well is set at 55psi, just like the regulators you use in your trailer.
The main reason for the regulator though is that if you travel around, you will encounter anywhere from 40 psi to 90+psi water sources at varying campgrounds. Even varying locations within the same campground.

Your plumbing fixtures are NOT identical to residential fixtures, they have far less robust components.

So the regulators are an insurance against disaster.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #7

Get in a campground were the supply is from a well above. Gravity will increase the pressure but if well pump doesn't kick off you can easily have a 100 lbs. Seem it happen to two different campers and once a white hose I had used for cleaning camper and truck. Was very glad to have mine regulator on the other side of the y splitter. Some places you will never need as there is no pressure to speak of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #8
Are we there yet.......

To the many response of my topic. Thank you for the replies. Taken a little from each reply and I have enough reasons to not only use a regulator but buy a quality one and put this madness in my head behind me. Thank you for the input ..........

Pbalmer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbalmer65 View Post
To the many response of my topic. Thank you for the replies. Taken a little from each reply and I have enough reasons to not only use a regulator but buy a quality one and put this madness in my head behind me. Thank you for the input ..........

Remember if the hot water cycles esp. on gas fuel, the water in the tank can and often will expand to the point the hot water relief or safety valve will open even if just a weep. At that point in time the entire system has reached 125 psi, not 40-60 as the inlet reducer is set for. (The reducer only works as inlet flow, not backwards. Epalmer was correct all tubing and fittings are rated at system pressure as established by the relief setting. This is required by National plumbing codes, not RV builders.)
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #10

On our camping trip this winter, I left off the regulator once at a new CG and the water that flushed around the toilet went so fast that it flushed out and around the top of the toilet! I put the regulator back in and it was fine.

Since then, I purchased and adjustable one, set at near 58 - 60 psi. Haven't tried it yet. But my test in the basement showed that as soon as you open a faucet, the pressure reduces to 35 - 40 psi or less depending on flow rate. That's why the shower spray drops off with the lower psi regulators, because they start off with less pressure to begin with.
2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, water